Poll: Is indoctrination THE reason religion is so strong today?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Is indoctrination THE reason religion is so strong today?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-03-2012, 08:48 AM
Is indoctrination THE reason religion is so strong today?
I've been thinking about it, and while some charismatic leaders can get even adults to believe in a religion, it seems like indoctrination is the reason for 90%+ of all believers.

Forcing beliefs upon children while they are too young to critically examine whether it's right or wrong is strongly encouraged by most religions.

But let's say that people stopped indoctrinating religion into children, would that religion fall apart?

The reason I'm asking is because I live in Sweden, an "atheist country". While the church itself isn't that small, children are usually not indoctrinated in the same way as other countries, and thus few become believers.
After hanging around on this forum for a while I could at first never understand why people were so angry with religion. But after seeing how some people turn out after being forced to believe as children, I'm starting to understand.

As the title says: "Is indoctrination THE reason religion is so strong today?".

Oh, and a bonus:
Swedish kids on God http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSEIAqHtEZE (0:43 is awesome).
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dust's post
22-03-2012, 08:53 AM
RE: Is indoctrination THE reason religion is so strong today?
It is indefinitely one of the main reasons that religion is so massively accepted. If you waited until a child was an adult to tell them that an invisible skydaddy ruled the universe, they'd laugh and move on.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
22-03-2012, 09:25 AM

Without indoctrination...religion would disappear. Its just that simple.

Does ANYONE honestly think that Jesus & Company would just 'occur' to people that were stranded on an island at a very early age and had never heard of such things?

Thats why Christian schools, colleges and VBS is SOOOOO Crucial to the Crusader Cause!

They are taught they are victims and must put on the armor of god and FIGHT the evil liberal secular world. Meanwhile, in the USA these victim Christan's are MOST CERTAINLY in the Majority. But wait and watch, every Xmas there is some bogus war on Xmas and liberals are beating up baby Jesus in the crib...boo hoo ...waaaaaaaah!

Reality is Atheists are VASTLY in the Minority...and they actually believe the Minority are oppressing the Majority. Smoke and mirrors folks! And its that indoctrination early on in life that keeps religion alive.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Denicio's post
22-03-2012, 09:40 AM
Without indoctrination we wouldn't have organized religion, but we would have a lot more Egors out there starting their own, the theist meme is really imprinted in our society so it would pop up somehow. I can't decide what is worst, religion as we have it or Egor minions running around writing gospels :/

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
22-03-2012, 12:27 PM
Yes of course it is.

When you tell a child something is a fact from a very young age they have an emotional bond to that 'fact' and don't want to admit their parents were wrong.

On top of that you've got the concept of hell (even if it's the 'separation from god' bullshit) that scares people enough to stop them from thinking for themselves. Any time they question his existence they get scared and stop because it 'might make god angry' as they just have to believe.

It's bloody ridiculous, and I think the worst part is the parents don't even realise how much fear they're instilling in their children because they feel the exact same.

If children were brought up to think for themselves and judge the information in front of them by themselves then you'd have a lot less people believing. You'd still have some believing in the various religions but that should be through a critical thought. Which is all that matters.

Oh and when I say they should judge the information in front of them accordingly I don't mean this shit about putting evolution and creationism in the same class room as one is backed up with substantial amounts of evidence whereas the other is just "I don't understand evolution so it must be wrong!" or "'where is the evidence?' *shows evidence* 'but just where is the evidence? We were made by a loving creatoooor'"

Seriously, giving people the ability to think for themselves and use their own reason and understanding is one of the greatest things you can allow someone to do.

Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!
Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way.

Enlightenment is liberating.
[+] 2 users Like ALovelyChickenMan's post
22-03-2012, 01:06 PM
Indoctrination, as long as it includes guilt about sex and fear about Hell, will always be the Church's number 1 tool.
And effective too, sadly. That childhood indoctrination still fucks with my head from time to time.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
22-03-2012, 02:45 PM
Although I agree that a lot of religion is indoctrination, I would also argue that so is many aspects of society. Sports, nationalism, politics and many others are mostly based on indoctrination or the more popular term is peer pressure.

A popular website I go on (funnyjunk) has a rival (9gag) and a very popular joke is that " I have never seen 9gag or met anyone from 9gag, all I know is that I hate them"

The main thing I think is that humans are not rational by nature preferring emotion over reason. It's why we have the line " it's not what you know but who you know". And this is not a religious trait, I have found many atheists who are just as ignorant as Christians. Atheists just seem smarter because the people who are doing the thinking for them happen to be scientists instead of theologians. Not to say that scientists are in any way smarter than the theologians, its just easier for someone to comment on one than the other. In the sense that being of by a fraction in math means a question is wrong but in English (a much softer science) your answer being slightly different can still be right.

Both sides are just regurgitating the arguments of their current head of belief.

A joke I made up is that "an atheist is a skeptic because someone else tells him he is" (I tried to have a christian counterpart to that joke it being "and a christian is good because someone tells him he is good" but it lacked the irony of the first so i dropped it. it just makes the joke more biased.)

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

Up to the heretic, smack, smack, smack!
Down to the jail went Good St. Nick!

When people say WWJD just remember that flipping tables and whipping people is still a valid option.
22-03-2012, 03:56 PM
A large part, but not the full reason. Even if a person was never told to follow a religion as a child, the person would probably find it very hard to understand how the universe came to be. So a god would just make a lot more sense to some people. Well at least what I think anyway.
[+] 1 user Likes Magoo's post
22-03-2012, 05:22 PM
I think if you took a poll of the majority of Americans and asked why they were Christians, most of the answers would sound like.

Jesus Loves me, I was raised that way, or because my mother is...

I believe it is.
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
22-03-2012, 05:38 PM
I agree with all the good comments so far. If you care to have a look at my website I've written a blog on the evil of childhood indocrination too.

I noticed you wrote "After hanging around on this forum for a while I could at first never understand why people were so angry with religion." Please don't get the impression that people are overtly atheist only because they have resentment about their childhood experiences.

Most overt atheists, such as myself , feel strongly that Christianity is inherintly evil...the intolerance, misogyny, homophobia, hypocricy, anti science sentiment, time wasting and violence is what we oppose. That is primarily why we are noisy...not because we are disgruntled.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user