Is (insert pariah here) a religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-11-2011, 11:37 PM
Is (insert pariah here) a religion?
Interesting that, venerated as religion is in the world at large, the practice of raising the alarm about some iconic cultural phenomenon by asking the rhetorical question "is it a religion" has become such a tradition. Of course here in this forum the equation of religion with something we should be worried about is understandable, but it's also why we should be more careful of it. My issue here is that the whole thing is a provocative tactic designed to smear whatever the subject of the thread is with the aura of a religion (some sort of cult presumably.) Then there's the subtle underhanded aspect - those who speak against whatever it is being compared to a religion are confirming the OP's contention that it is undesirable and those who speak for it are demonstrating their cultish devotion to it. Let's never forget the difference between figuratively drinking the kool-aid and doing it literally. (Listen to the last 10 minutes of the 09/25/2011 podcast if you don't know what I mean.)

Yes, it's all a bit of a schtick, I get that and hopefully no one here takes these threads any too seriously. In a forum that puts a high value on skeptical inquiry and intellectual honesty however, provocative smear tactics with an underhanded hook strike me as just bad form. Let's leave that kind of thing to the other folks who don't have reason on their side.

-Joe
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Eye Sage's post
14-11-2011, 05:50 AM
RE: Is (insert pariah here) a religion?
This is a cultural phenomenon? I just pulled it out of my ass.
14-11-2011, 12:53 PM
(14-11-2011 05:50 AM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  This is a cultural phenomenon? I just pulled it out of my ass.

Really? That's cool. Myself, I remember seeing it pre-internet.
29-11-2011, 09:02 AM
People got so used to seeing organized religion everywhere, that they can't distinguish anymore what's religion and what's organized. It just has to be visible enough.

This is how they're thinking:
1) Atheists are getting organized.
2) Therefore atheism is a religion!!!
29-11-2011, 11:30 AM
Of course it is a religion. All hail the prophet Dawkins. Tongue

I blame forms. You know, fill out yer religious affiliation, where atheist is a choice? That kind of stuff. Wink

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user