Is is better or worse to have never been a theist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-09-2012, 06:30 PM
RE: Is is better or worse to have never been a theist?
Being raised a theist, and having seen and experienced the struggles a theist goes through, at first glance, I probably would say it's better. But when I look closely, it just feels like a different pair of glasses that one sees life through.

It's all one big rite of passage.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-09-2012, 06:34 PM
I think it would be better not. I grew up going to church from a not religious family. Religion never "took".

I have been able to think scientifically my whole life, unencumbered by cant and unreason.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
20-09-2012, 02:53 AM
It is not easier arguing with a theist either way. They twist logic in really odd ways in order to hang onto their beliefs. When you become an atheist, you actually use reality to judge things. All you can do is place seeds of doubt and hope they take root eventually. You will never win the argument in the same day that it starts. Years later you might win.
[+] 1 user Likes Birdguy1979's post
20-09-2012, 06:03 AM
I feel like I am falling through the cracks with this one. Yes I believed - but only until I was ten. So it was like a child believing a fairy tale and I grew out of it.

So while the belief system is not alien to me, my memories of believing are blurred by time.

So I don't think I fall in either category. I often find myself in disbelief when I meet an intelligent theist. How can this smart person still believe that shit? To me it was something one grew out of, like believing in the easter bunny...

By the way, unlike a lot of atheists, I think letting kids believe in Santa and the easter bunny is a good thing. Firstly, it's oodles of fun for a kid, and secondly, it shows how you grow up and away from believing silly things. When you find out it's a fairy tale, you have an important life lesson. Beliefs are just beliefs, and not reality. This may have played a big part in my being able to discard belief as easily as I did.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
20-09-2012, 06:59 AM
I myself only had religion implanted to my life at the minimal level. And I must say, sometimes I wish I could have had the experience of being raised religious, or at least in a religious family/social climate, the knowledge would have been a useful weapon.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
22-09-2012, 07:38 AM
Well, having been raised a theist, and knowing many people who are theist, I have be able to see first hand the damage caused by such blind faith. It also allows me to understand what is going on in their head. No amount of logic will change their minds.

Also when I see hardcore religious famlies, I can not help but to wonder how many of them really believe and how many just go along with it out of fear of being discriminated against, disowned, or even kicked out of their homes.
22-09-2012, 08:41 AM
This made me think of the recent thread where someone was asking if anyone else was afraid of losing their atheism. Being raised religious, and having come out of it, I sometimes think that it would be better to have not been raised religious. It's still hard for me to listen to debates sometimes, because some of the things that the theists say are on the verge of being convincing (until you realize that they are deepities, and have no substance or evidence to back them up.) If I had not been raised in religion, those things would not sound convincing at all. Since I was raised in religion, there's almost a sort of 'instinct' that tells me that I should believe it. (And before any theists try to tell me that that is god writing his will upon my heart, know that you are wrong. It is because I was brainwashed as a child to believe these things by people in authority. You can't just shrug off that sort of mind control overnight.)

So, although I wish that I was raised in a science loving atheistic household, it can be somewhat of a good thing to be raised in a religion, because when you reject it, it is easier to use the religion to refute itself.

Contribute to the Community Resource!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Near's post
22-09-2012, 11:40 AM
From an argumentative stand point, I think having been a theist then an atheist is better. You have that, " I once too was like you" appeal. You understand why they believe it, thus helping you to find a better way of explaining your reasoning, or giving an advantage at attacking their "points" that you once dismantled on your own.

On the other hand, from the psychological stand point, it took me 3 years of being an atheist before I suppressed the fear of hell. Believe that shit for 18+ years and it sticks.

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan
[+] 1 user Likes NotSoVacuous's post
22-09-2012, 11:49 AM
(22-09-2012 11:40 AM)NotSoVacuous Wrote:  On the other hand, from the psychological stand point, it took me 3 years of being an atheist before I suppressed the fear of hell. Believe that shit for 18+ years and it sticks.
I'm happy that my father never ever threatened me with eternal punishment in hell. I'm not even sure if he believes that hell exists. Consider

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
22-09-2012, 07:40 PM
the only thing having been a theist makes me realize is that seeking out argumentation with theists for the sake of showing them the fallacious nature of their beliefs is itself fallacious. The only way they are going to reach that conclusion is through their own inquiry. You will never understand their reasoning, even I don't and I was a theist. I mean, I understand some of it but I find myself reading posts and watching/listening to arguments and thinking to myself "what. the. fuck?"

Evolve
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post