Is is better or worse to have never been a theist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-12-2012, 10:01 AM (This post was last modified: 21-12-2012 10:13 AM by Flowergurl.)
RE: Is is better or worse to have never been a theist?
Interesting question. I have been thinking about the same thing myself. The past few months have led to me to doubt the Christian faith. I still don't know if I can totally let Jesus go...yet. I became "saved" at eight years old, and have thus viewed life and the world in a completely different way than an atheist.
My God, it has not been the most pleasant experience, that is for sure. It's been a confusing point of my life in almost every aspect - career, where I want live, etc. and then throw in a total change of beliefs.
I think the biggest change in wandering away from being a theist, is the way you suddenly view life. It's like, Oh my God. I really am alone, in the soul sense. Life really is precious. It is so fleeting, and perhaps there is no afterlife. I actually view life as even more of a miracle when you put it in perspective with the rest of the universe. I find I am caring more about what happens to the world for future generations. For humanity. I don't want it to stop going. It's interesting too because I had a visit from a friend last month (who just so happens to unfortunately live very far away right now) and he is an agnostic atheist. It made me all the more interested to find out what that means. And just watching him, it's just amazing how happy and in the moment he is. He values and treasures life, because he understands how temporal it is. He is active in environmental activism, because he knows how quickly this world will go down if nothing stops this wasteful society.
Then you see Christians and they're all like "Who cares about the environment, Jesus is coming soon." Or, "Global warming is not a concern, we need to save souls." Then there's so much violence and judgement and haughtiness in nearly every religion. I fought against terrible gender sterotypes in the church, being an ambitious woman who doesn't want to be tied down with children nor be married to man who believes the wife needs to submit to him. I don't want to be associated with those people.
So, yeah, it's scary going from a theist to (possibly) an atheist, but it is also liberating and it makes you so much more aware, for the first time, that life is short and that is why one must live it to the fullest. Not even in a selfish way. At least, not for me.
Perhaps I will simply remain agnostic. I don't know yet.
In a strange way, I feel born again.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like Flowergurl's post
21-12-2012, 08:48 PM
(21-12-2012 10:01 AM)Flowergurl Wrote:  I fought against terrible gender sterotypes in the church, being an ambitious woman who doesn't want to be tied down with children nor be married to man who believes the wife needs to submit to him.

Yeah, who wants that? But if you've been raised to think it's normal, then you just shrug your shoulders and accept your lot in life. But isn't it nice to know there's an alternative?

(21-12-2012 10:01 AM)Flowergurl Wrote:  In a strange way, I feel born again.

Amen to that. Wink

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
22-12-2012, 01:37 AM
(21-12-2012 10:01 AM)Flowergurl Wrote:  Interesting question. I have been thinking about the same thing myself. The past few months have led to me to doubt the Christian faith. I still don't know if I can totally let Jesus go...yet. I became "saved" at eight years old, and have thus viewed life and the world in a completely different way than an atheist.
My God, it has not been the most pleasant experience, that is for sure. It's been a confusing point of my life in almost every aspect - career, where I want live, etc. and then throw in a total change of beliefs.
I think the biggest change in wandering away from being a theist, is the way you suddenly view life. It's like, Oh my God. I really am alone, in the soul sense. Life really is precious. It is so fleeting, and perhaps there is no afterlife. I actually view life as even more of a miracle when you put it in perspective with the rest of the universe. I find I am caring more about what happens to the world for future generations. For humanity. I don't want it to stop going. It's interesting too because I had a visit from a friend last month (who just so happens to unfortunately live very far away right now) and he is an agnostic atheist. It made me all the more interested to find out what that means. And just watching him, it's just amazing how happy and in the moment he is. He values and treasures life, because he understands how temporal it is. He is active in environmental activism, because he knows how quickly this world will go down if nothing stops this wasteful society.
Then you see Christians and they're all like "Who cares about the environment, Jesus is coming soon." Or, "Global warming is not a concern, we need to save souls." Then there's so much violence and judgement and haughtiness in nearly every religion. I fought against terrible gender sterotypes in the church, being an ambitious woman who doesn't want to be tied down with children nor be married to man who believes the wife needs to submit to him. I don't want to be associated with those people.
So, yeah, it's scary going from a theist to (possibly) an atheist, but it is also liberating and it makes you so much more aware, for the first time, that life is short and that is why one must live it to the fullest. Not even in a selfish way. At least, not for me.

You're having quite the adventure. It's not easy to switch worldviews and not be impacted by the change. But it appears you have a pretty good sense of self-awareness and you've got some innate skills for handling change. I predict you'll be well. Thumbsup

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
22-12-2012, 01:41 AM
(22-12-2012 01:37 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(21-12-2012 10:01 AM)Flowergurl Wrote:  Interesting question. I have been thinking about the same thing myself. The past few months have led to me to doubt the Christian faith. I still don't know if I can totally let Jesus go...yet. I became "saved" at eight years old, and have thus viewed life and the world in a completely different way than an atheist.

You're having quite the adventure. It's not easy to switch worldviews and not be impacted by the change. But it appears you have a pretty good sense of self-awareness and you've got some innate skills for handling change. I predict you'll be well. Thumbsup
Thank you! I hope so. Consider
22-12-2012, 01:49 AM
(22-12-2012 01:41 AM)Flowergurl Wrote:  
(22-12-2012 01:37 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  You're having quite the adventure. It's not easy to switch worldviews and not be impacted by the change. But it appears you have a pretty good sense of self-awareness and you've got some innate skills for handling change. I predict you'll be well. Thumbsup
Thank you! I hope so. Consider

FYI, if you haven't seen it yet, you might want to mosey over to the Recovering From Religion forum under Health and Psychology. There are a few resources we're trying to collect and you may find some encouragement from other people's stories. You're certainly not alone in your journey to living with reason.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
28-04-2013, 09:27 PM
(22-12-2012 01:49 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(22-12-2012 01:41 AM)Flowergurl Wrote:  Thank you! I hope so. Consider

FYI, if you haven't seen it yet, you might want to mosey over to the Recovering From Religion forum under Health and Psychology. There are a few resources we're trying to collect and you may find some encouragement from other people's stories. You're certainly not alone in your journey to living with reason.

Thank you, by the way. I checked it out and it's been a HUGE help. Smile
15-05-2013, 06:18 PM
was once a christian, then a budhist, then a spiritualist. now im so skeptical it makes my brain hurt. lol. is it better? sounds like that age ol question, what is the meaning of life. and the answer is..............whatever u make of it. religion was just a stepping stone for me. you cant get everything right. the important part was when i found i was wrong and repented of my mental masturbation. the majestic wonderment of the universe was always there with and without being created by a deity. ive always found beauty all around. if it werent for that, i may still believe. sometimes truth is ugly, but no less important.

something cliche about stuffEvil_monster
[+] 1 user Likes jetbebop's post
15-05-2013, 06:46 PM

FG, you have so eloquently hit the nail on the head, the one where we respond to theists' desperate cries of nihilism and why bother if there is no god. Know that you are not alone on your journey.
15-05-2013, 07:00 PM
I think there is a benefit of having been a theist because you know where other theists are coming from. You can relate to what they are thinking, feeling, etc, but I don't think it is better than having never been a theist. Think of how much time and money you would have wasted. I know I do.

Is being able to relate to someone's beliefs worth that kind of cost?

If you were raised religious, would you have been the type to leave in the first place?
15-05-2013, 10:40 PM
I think it depends on the kind of religion you were exposed to.
I was born into a big, very liberal, very educated Catholic family.
Many had migrated to the Anglicans, and I knew about them from an early age, and how civilized (and liberal) they are. Doctrine was never shoved down our throats. It was a long time before I realized how strange and bizarre most of fundie religion is. I was exposed to culture and music and all sorts of smart people in the colleges the relies taught in. I realized in 2nd Grade it was all BS, so I'm glad I got over it early, but I wouldn't change a thing.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post