Is it April 1st? this has to be a joke.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-11-2015, 12:22 PM
RE: Is it April 1st? this has to be a joke.
(05-11-2015 10:06 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Are you kidding?

I'd love to go. I'd want to record it and post a commentary / debunking. I'd wander through the exhibits laughing and pointing out the stupid in a loud a voice as possible.

What stops me (other than the fact that I'm on the wrong side of the planet) is the idea of giving my hard-earned cash to those charlatans.

But if ...

(05-11-2015 09:50 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  ...
Since we are inviting, we’ll cover the hotel, meals we have together, and entrance fees (including a zipline tour if you’d like one.)

... it's free ... go for it!
That still don't make it free. How ever you look at it. They get more money if she goes. I wouldn't go.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Nishi Karano Kaze's post
05-11-2015, 12:34 PM
Well, does your family know you're an atheist? I don't remember if you ever told us .
Anyway, if they know, you can reject if you want(they get more money wether you or your parents pay) but if they don't, pretty hard to make excusesexcuses with so many open dates

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
05-11-2015, 12:45 PM
Hmm. I'd probably say something like this:

"Thank you for the kind offer.

I'm sure you're well aware it is important to me that my children learn how to have open minds and *think* about the information they are given. Learning doesn't stop at childhood, however, and science is not only interesting, but inspiring.

The Arrows will attend the Creation Museum, but only under the condition that the extended family will ALSO attend the Field Museum, Adler Planetarium, and Chicago Museum of Science and Industry. There is a fantastic 3D movie at the Field Museum about the Galapogos Islands, as well as the full skeleton of "Sue" the T-Rex dinosaur. Maybe after a day exploring the Field Museum and Adler Planetarium we could go out for some famous Chicago pizza. The Science and Industry Museum is huge and we will need an entire day to explore it. The kids will even get to see/be inside of a vortex- an indoor tornado!

Love you,

Bows"

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 10 users Like Nurse's post
05-11-2015, 02:08 PM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2015 02:12 PM by Bows and Arrows.)
The last time my inlaws did an expense paid trip for all, we went to Tuscon, AZ for Thanksgiving. I have no idea why they picked Tuscon. MIL sets a jam packed schedule from the time we wake till way past the kids should be in bed. The days are mostly outings, but on the AZ trip, evenings were to be spent, in a group (about 15 adults) watching The Truth Project and discussing it. (i.e. agreeing with-not actually debating). The kids did arts n crafts (Jesus related) while they waited.

I refused to participate -my husband went one evening- and I kept my children to their regular bedtimes (they were still lower elementary age and would melt down into monsters if I didn't). It didn't go over well and near the end of the week I remember her flipping out a bit when I was packing up the kids to return to the hotel. A small church was letting us use their property (kitchen, game room, gathering rooms, playground) since there were so many of us. I didn't let her phase me. I am not sure if I ever outright said that I am an atheist, but they have always questioned (that's another post in itself). In the evenings we took the kids back to the hotel, we had a mini suite, we put the kids in the bedroom, and as people came back they would stop to hang out and visit. We live states away from the others so this was really our only time to catch up and talk and bond with my husbands siblings.

By the end of the week, our little room was packed in the evening with the siblings, and they would cut out of the church sooner and sooner. A few times MIL & FIL would poke their head in when they got back to the hotel to chastise who ever was visiting "you said you couldn't stay because you were tired! now you are sitting here " then storm down the hall. Our last night 3 of us 'Rebels' decided to just hang out in the living room/breakfast space in the lobby because it was cozier. We had beers and were laughing, just having fun, by the end everyone was there. Even though we got many scowls and grouchy looks when we had another beer. I think we only had a 12 pack between 4 people.

So, inlaws have bought the Ken Ham story, hook, line and sinker. Every time we see them, they have an agenda, it's never 'just to visit' and enjoy each other's company. A couple of husbands siblings are also all in. Others are varying degrees. My husband is questioning some of it.

My husband understands that I find Ken Ham an insult to my intelligence, that I equate it with psychics who talk to dead or people who say they have been abducted by aliens. And I don't want my children any where near a place like the creation museum.

His family is from Chicago. I suggested we visit there and go to the Field Museum.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 3 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
05-11-2015, 02:38 PM
(05-11-2015 10:42 AM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 10:22 AM)pablo Wrote:  Found it. Here's the video.
[...]

BAHAHAHAHAHA....i listened to the first minute and now have a concussion. Facepalm Facepalm Facepalm Facepalm That's the equivalent of saying if we evolved from monkeys then why are there still monkeys? It betrays thee single most fundamentally misunderstood part of evolution which tells me she hasn't even attempted to understand it.

I made it to about 1:12 in the video before I realized I was just staring like a deer in headlights. Shocking

then i turned it off Facepalm
[+] 1 user Likes mediocrates's post
05-11-2015, 02:43 PM
I wouldn't go. I'm way past having my intelligence degraded by that level of willful stupidity. Plus, Ham shouldn't get any money, he just propagates more stupidity. And that Megan Fox video? I made it about a minute in as well. What a damn fool. That level of ignorance is nothing to be proud of.
05-11-2015, 02:49 PM
(05-11-2015 09:50 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  just got the following email from the inlaws- it was sent to all their children and spouses.

I’ve been wanting to plan this for a while now, but kept putting it off. Here goes:

How about a family get-together at the Creation Museum? The opening date has not been announced, but Noah’s Ark may be available, too. The museum is in northern Kentucky near the Cincinnati airport, the ark is about an hour south of that area.

Would you be interested? Willing to go?

Possible dates: next year:
Memorial Day – June 19 or so (before we need to be at camp)
Aug. 11-15
Sept.
other?
It would be good to have a Sat. at the museum because they have extra programs then. xxxxx got to hold a huge snake at one program we attended. The museum is crowded on Sat., so it would be good to tour the museum on a weekday – so a Fri-Sat schedule would be best. There’s also a petting zoo, beautiful gardens, and a zipline (we tried it!) Inside besides the museum tour there’s a planetarium show and an experience theater. Zipline reservations should be made in advance – they fill up.

Since we are inviting, we’ll cover the hotel, meals we have together, and entrance fees (including a zipline tour if you’d like one.)
If you have an extra day, we might also consider a day at Kings Island for you, but I don’t think we want to go there.

trying to decide if I should reply with "no thanks". " no FUCK NO"

Reply with:

"I would rather exhume Hitler's body from whatever hellhole it is entrenched in and attempt fellatio than accompany you to the hell that is the Creation Museum."

^at least that is what I would reply with Thumbsup

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
05-11-2015, 03:33 PM
Damn that "100 year old science." It's almost like it's been proven so many times that it sticks around.Facepalm

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
05-11-2015, 03:49 PM
I'd rather have a hot poker stuck up my ass than contribute any amount of money or a scintilla of my time to that nitwit place.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
05-11-2015, 03:53 PM
Hell yeah --- go to the Science and Industry museum in Chicago....

That'd be where I'd go when I run west on I-94......

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.