Is it April 1st? this has to be a joke.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-11-2015, 04:06 PM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2015 04:15 PM by GenesisNemesis.)
RE: Is it April 1st? this has to be a joke.
You should go and hand out printed information which explains why everything there is wrong. At least then it'll be fun.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-11-2015, 04:42 PM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2015 06:12 PM by f stop.)
(05-11-2015 09:50 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  just got the following email from the inlaws- it was sent to all their children and spouses.

I’ve been wanting to plan this for a while now, but kept putting it off. Here goes:

How about a family get-together at the Creation Museum? The opening date has not been announced, but Noah’s Ark may be available, too. The museum is in northern Kentucky near the Cincinnati airport, the ark is about an hour south of that area.

Would you be interested? Willing to go?

Possible dates: next year:
Memorial Day – June 19 or so (before we need to be at camp)
Aug. 11-15
Sept.
other?
It would be good to have a Sat. at the museum because they have extra programs then. xxxxx got to hold a huge snake at one program we attended. The museum is crowded on Sat., so it would be good to tour the museum on a weekday – so a Fri-Sat schedule would be best. There’s also a petting zoo, beautiful gardens, and a zipline (we tried it!) Inside besides the museum tour there’s a planetarium show and an experience theater. Zipline reservations should be made in advance – they fill up.

Since we are inviting, we’ll cover the hotel, meals we have together, and entrance fees (including a zipline tour if you’d like one.)
If you have an extra day, we might also consider a day at Kings Island for you, but I don’t think we want to go there.

trying to decide if I should reply with "no thanks". " no FUCK NO"
It will work if everyone promises to keep to this schedule.
  • 27 May Friday - Creation Museum
  • 28 May Saturday - Creation Museum
  • 29 May Sunday - King's Island
  • 30 May Monday - Memorial Day - King's Island
  • 31 May Tuesday - Noah's Ark
  • 1 June Wednesday - Travel day to Washington, D.C.
  • 2 June Thursday - Smithsonian Museum of Natural History - very pro-evolution
  • 3 June Friday - Smithsonian Air & Space Museum - touch a moon rock.
  • 4 June Saturday - 2016 Reason Rally Thumbsup

Videos of the 2012 Reason Rally indicates that there were plenty of theists and creationists there. Your in-laws should have a blast.Banana_zorro

Sapere aude
[+] 2 users Like f stop's post
05-11-2015, 04:45 PM
Is it April 1st? this has to be a joke.
Dear Family,

Thank for your offer to visit the Creation Museum to learn the origins of life. I suggest after that, we visit Disney World to learn how real cities are constructed.
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
05-11-2015, 05:40 PM
(05-11-2015 10:06 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I'd wander through the exhibits laughing and pointing out the stupid in a loud a voice as possible.
Obviously this isn't a serious suggestion.

Accepting the in-laws to cover costs and then going there to intentionally be a douche and try to rub your fundie relatives could seriously impact your future relationships with them.

On the other hand if you go there with an inquisitive mind, see what position this museum puts forward. Try to understand it (as much as can be understood by a rational and logical mind) rather than to snigger and laugh.

Form your own opinions, keep them to yourself. Perhaps just try to enter the world of your in-laws a little to get an insight as to what interests/excites them. Or ignore the ignoramus of the museum, tag along just to bond with the family.

If they are sending everyone there in an attempt to convert you then avoid it (like the plague).

I mean, I've visited the Vatican, I've been in the Duomo in Florence, The Uffizi (which just had many many painting of either Jesus on the cross or Madona with bambino), there was some big church (converted Muslim mosque) in Spain, I've been to a few Bhuddist temples, I've visited a couple of Cow god statues in India. It's all weird and different, you just behave respectful of the locals, take a few photos and move onto the next "interesting" thing.

Going to Creationist Museum might be interesting in that with such a high concentration of creationists it might just be interesting to hear them talk amongst each other. I'm sure it will sound completely nuts but if you can keep from laughing out loud you might get some internal entertainment value out of it.

Next time a relative says something stupid to you, you might just blame it on the creationist propoganda rather than get angry with them as a person.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
05-11-2015, 05:44 PM
(05-11-2015 10:40 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  I would go.

I would too. Watching Jesus ride a dinosaur from a zipline is too good to pass up.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
05-11-2015, 05:50 PM
B&A, based on your AZ experience I would nix going. Sounds like way too much discomfort for a few laughs ( if any) not to mention the additional tensions it would create (pun intended) between you and your in laws.

Not worth it. Plus you cannot predict what exposing your kids to this crap might do.

I'd rather take the family to DC or Disney and avoid the drama.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
05-11-2015, 05:52 PM
"Sorry, but that's the height of hay fever season, and I'm deathly allergic to bullshit."
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
05-11-2015, 06:08 PM
My son and some of his friends went when he was a student at IU. My son is an atheist and he has a Master's Degree in Comparative Religions from George Washington University. I've never been to the Creation Museum and I regret that. My son said it is an incredible educational experience and every atheist should take a tour of it. He also said it is difficult to keep from laughing out loud at many of the exhibits but you must suppress your laughter to avoid being thrown out. My son is now in Boston and I doubt I will ever have the opportunity to go to the Creation Museum again since I don't plan to ever return to that part of the country. I wish I had gone when I had the opportunity.
05-11-2015, 06:28 PM
I’ve given this a bit more thought and think that there is no upside for your kids (and therefore for you) at their age to expose them to this misinformation while trusted, adult members of their immediate family vouch for its authenticity. Adults have a hard enough time differentiating fact from fantasy why then risk confusing your kids on such an important topic?

Trying to come up with an analogy I thought it might be similar to taking your kids to Hobbitworld in New Zealand (or whatever it’s called) to teach them history and all the while the adults in the group confirming that it is all true. They would be the laughing stock in their schools when they regurgitated any of that “lesson”.

No, don’t go and don’t let them go.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
05-11-2015, 06:33 PM
What if you were to plan a different trip that would allow you to be with the family just a day or two on your way or on your way back?

You could skip the creation museum days - but I must say that the opportunity to see Hamm's ark is almost too good to pass up.

Besides...we need a spy to check it out for us. Tongue

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post