Is it April 1st? this has to be a joke.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-11-2015, 06:34 PM
RE: Is it April 1st? this has to be a joke.
(05-11-2015 05:40 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 10:06 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I'd wander through the exhibits laughing and pointing out the stupid in a loud a voice as possible.
Obviously this isn't a serious suggestion.

Accepting the in-laws to cover costs and then going there to intentionally be a douche and try to rub your fundie relatives could seriously impact your future relationships with them.

On the other hand if you go there with an inquisitive mind, see what position this museum puts forward. Try to understand it (as much as can be understood by a rational and logical mind) rather than to snigger and laugh.

Form your own opinions, keep them to yourself. Perhaps just try to enter the world of your in-laws a little to get an insight as to what interests/excites them. Or ignore the ignoramus of the museum, tag along just to bond with the family.

If they are sending everyone there in an attempt to convert you then avoid it (like the plague).

I mean, I've visited the Vatican, I've been in the Duomo in Florence, The Uffizi (which just had many many painting of either Jesus on the cross or Madona with bambino), there was some big church (converted Muslim mosque) in Spain, I've been to a few Bhuddist temples, I've visited a couple of Cow god statues in India. It's all weird and different, you just behave respectful of the locals, take a few photos and move onto the next "interesting" thing.

Going to Creationist Museum might be interesting in that with such a high concentration of creationists it might just be interesting to hear them talk amongst each other. I'm sure it will sound completely nuts but if you can keep from laughing out loud you might get some internal entertainment value out of it.

Next time a relative says something stupid to you, you might just blame it on the creationist propoganda rather than get angry with them as a person.

"Go there with an inquisitive mind." Really???? Comparing the Creationist museum to the Uffizi is nuts.

There's quite a bit of difference between the Creationist Museum, which is an amusement park.

[Image: 32f5c770d674fa85989a51cc27b1b1d4.jpg]

and the Uffizi Museum, which is an museum of fine art, featuring many nude Roman statues and complex architecture.

[Image: uffizi1.jpg]

The beautiful nude paintings in this museum would probably be banned and possibly condemned as sinful by creationists. Geez.....women touching themselves...... Ohmy

[Image: 51gEl%2BwH-mL._SX300_.jpg]

VS

whatever the hell this is.....

[Image: Demon-chld-and-dino-baby.jpg]

If I wanted my brain to turn to mush the Creationist Museum would accomplish this instantly.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like dancefortwo's post
05-11-2015, 07:15 PM
I talked with my husband in more detail today. We won't be going, and are trying to figure out some other plans to get family time without losing our minds.

The Chicago Museums will be on the "to-do" list.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 3 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
05-11-2015, 07:36 PM
I would consider going for entertainment value if I was going with some rational, science oriented people. But I don't want to go and basically have to bite my tongue so as not to be a douchebag and to keep the family peace. Along with that I wouldn't be able to filter it for the kids or explain why it's all a load of shit. So for my kids they would go thru getting a very one sided view from those that believe it because I don't want to be the bitch during family time.

After 15 years of marriage, I have figured out the ways my inlaws try to assert themselves, and how they cause problems in my marriage. I have learned to stop agreeing to things they suggest and just go with our own plans. Then the onus is on them to participate or look like the douchebag. Wink

I learned a lot when she ambushed us in AZ with her plans.

[+] 3 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
05-11-2015, 07:58 PM
(05-11-2015 07:15 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I talked with my husband in more detail today. We won't be going, and are trying to figure out some other plans to get family time without losing our minds.

The Chicago Museums will be on the "to-do" list.

Maybe you could catch a Blackhawks or Bulls game.
05-11-2015, 08:06 PM
(05-11-2015 06:34 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 05:40 PM)Stevil Wrote:  I mean, I've visited the Vatican, I've been in the Duomo in Florence, The Uffizi (which just had many many painting of either Jesus on the cross or Madona with bambino)
Comparing the Creationist museum to the Uffizi is nuts.

I never said they were similar however both have exhibitions or "art" that represent religious beliefs "fairytales".
Certainly when I went to the Uffizi all I remember is seeing endless paintings of Jesus and Maddonna. Was very boring for me. I found the museum at the Vatican far less religious and more interesting.
But I'm no artist and really I don't know how to appreciate most paintings. I would rather go to an amusement park than an art museum.

But yeah, interesting to see the pix you presented of the Creationist Museum

(05-11-2015 06:34 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  If I wanted my brain to turn to mush the Creationist Museum would accomplish this instantly.
LOL
05-11-2015, 08:52 PM
(05-11-2015 07:36 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I would consider going for entertainment value if I was going with some rational, science oriented people. But I don't want to go and basically have to bite my tongue so as not to be a douchebag and to keep the family peace. Along with that I wouldn't be able to filter it for the kids or explain why it's all a load of shit. So for my kids they would go thru getting a very one sided view from those that believe it because I don't want to be the bitch during family time.

Although I would have loved a video of you filming and talking about the exhibits, imo you made the right decision. Do you think most of the people who received the invitation will accept?

Even if I was religious I wouldn't think of sending out invites to a museum like that, unless the purpose was to go there and point and laugh.
05-11-2015, 09:50 PM
(05-11-2015 08:52 PM)smeli Wrote:  Although I would have loved a video of you filming and talking about the exhibits, imo you made the right decision. Do you think most of the people who received the invitation will accept?

yes-mostly
Husband has 6 siblings.

Sister #1 from Cali said she would go- but her husband wouldn't.
Sister #2 lives with inlaws - if it's free -she's there.
Sister #3 - said no because of work schedule of her & her teen son.
My husband- no because his wife would get a concussion from face palming
Sister #4- yes, along with her 6 kids- she might follow quiver full stuff, religious homeschooler,
Brother #1- yes- they are also true blue believers, all in
Brother #2- yes, also homeschooling, probably quiver full followers, with 5 kids.

I usually hang with sister #3 and two older nieces when they are there the same we are, one niece is gay and has not been shy on Facebook about being atheist. I have probably kept them guessing on my stance on religion. I was raised in a secular home so it wasn't that I considered myself atheist, I just never took the time to think about religion. When we married they asked if I was a believer. I have no idea what my husband said. After we moved to the Bible Belt we attended for a bit- I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything since I had never really been exposed to it.. I couldn't get comfortable with it, and bailed when I saw an opportunity. Since we don't live close, they probably don't know where I stand. I have no problems being out but my husband would probably rather just avoid the topic with them since they will hound him with emails. He is coming around slowly.

In a two year span, the 3 oldest sisters divorced, niece came out as gay, then later atheist. I joke that my ranking in the family went up. I was no longer the 'problem' one. LOLOL.

[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
05-11-2015, 09:59 PM
although, I just had a thought. Consider

My husband is into science-y stuff. He watched and enjoyed Cosmos and that 3 part fish/people PBS special- I forget the name- with us, when we go to the REAL museums with dinosaurs he is into it, reads all the cards, etc.

I think he might be questioning, but doesn't want to admit to it, so he is in information seeking mode. It helps that the kids ask him hard questions.

I am thinking if he went to KY with his family (the kids and I stay home) he can finally see how much of a stretch they are making.

hmm, going to have to think on that a bit before I suggest it. Consider

[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
05-11-2015, 11:04 PM
(05-11-2015 09:59 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  although, I just had a thought. Consider

My husband is into science-y stuff. He watched and enjoyed Cosmos and that 3 part fish/people PBS special- I forget the name- with us, when we go to the REAL museums with dinosaurs he is into it, reads all the cards, etc.

I think he might be questioning, but doesn't want to admit to it, so he is in information seeking mode. It helps that the kids ask him hard questions.

I am thinking if he went to KY with his family (the kids and I stay home) he can finally see how much of a stretch they are making.

Your Inner Fish, Prof. Neil Shubin

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
06-11-2015, 01:28 AM
I
(05-11-2015 09:59 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  although, I just had a thought. Consider

If he previews the Cray Cray museum first he might be brought to his senses regarding his parents. Afterwards you and the kids can meet him somewhere sane.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce