Is it Safe for a Theist here?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-07-2016, 09:11 AM
RE: Is it Safe for a Theist here?
Welcome ShowBizz.

A bit of information that may be beneficial to you as you settle in.

Many of us were believers, pretty much every flavor; Catholic, Baptist, Mormon, Jew, Muslim, Wicca etc. Some of us have even been to divinity school. Some are Biblical scholars. Some have written books on the subject.

Some of us still harbor the resentment of those years, others are long past that stage. Quite a few were never raised to believe (indoctrinated as we say around here). Others are still wrestling with the god concept and a few are still theists.

We come from all walks of life and from around the globe.

I tell you this because many a theist has had a rude awakening when addressing the Forum group as a Borg collective. Every individual here is, well, an individual, everyone has their story on how and why they came here. God knows (pun intended) that we argue/discuss just about everything; politics, gun control, cats v dogs etc. just name it.

I hope you take this in the spirit it is given, as a general map of the terrain to alert you to pitfalls that have so often engulfed theists with agendas.

Welcome again.

FC

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Full Circle's post
04-07-2016, 09:17 AM
Welcome. I hope we can help you on your journey, whichever path you take.

I can't wait for your second thread.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-07-2016, 12:53 PM

#sigh
04-07-2016, 12:58 PM
(04-07-2016 07:10 AM)GeeWizzShowBizz Wrote:  Hello,

It's nice to be here. Here is the reason I decided to join an Atheist Forum. First of all, I believe in God. I am not here to try to make anyone here change their views. And I am not here to have my views changed from a believer in God to atheism. What I am here for, is to talk through the internal challenged I am facing concerning my views on faith and life. I am hoping to get responses from some smart people about my questions on why I believe what I do, and how much I actually live what I believe. I have never been the smartest person in the world, and I realize that what I think I believe in is still only a product of what my limited intelligence affords me to retain. And that's a big part of why I am concerned.

Nice to meet everyone.

Welcome aboard. We can converse later once you settle in a bit. An introspective question to mull over in the meantime...why do you have faith? Think about it, think about it hard....intro threads are not for discussions, and we can engage this later when I have some time...in the meantime, think about the reason you have faith...

Glad to have you aboard. I have a house full of family at the moment and no time to chat, but will later.

again, welcome.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
04-07-2016, 01:14 PM
Welcome aboard.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
04-07-2016, 01:23 PM
Welcome! As has been mentioned, if you treat the people here as individuals, that will help a lot towards acceptance/tolerance. That is a common mistake, acting as though we all share a brain. Just watch how some atheists here tear into each other! One other thing- if you think that you can define words however you want, and then obfuscate on it, there are people who will slice and dice. I don't argue religion with theists, I got burned out on that a long time ago, mostly for the reasons mentioned. Again, welcome. I think you will enjoy it here! Big Grin
04-07-2016, 02:06 PM
Welcome.

As for safety or rather "safety" it depends on theist.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
04-07-2016, 02:20 PM
[Image: Welcome-12-june_zpsc8b9a7e4.gif]
04-07-2016, 02:38 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum!

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
04-07-2016, 07:54 PM
Hi GeeWizz. Welcome to TTA. As you'll have gathered by now we don't have an open season on believers. It's actually refreshing when we get to have a conversation with a theist as opposed to the usual driveby spammers or preachers. By and large, if you respect people here then that's what you can expect to get in return.

You'll likely bump into a few forum members who can be a little hard on theists. Some of them have had very poor experiences with theists in the past and will lump you in with them until they get to know you better. And a small minority are simply jerks. The Atheist label doesn't tell you if somebody's on the Naughty of Nice list.

For a smoother ride you might want to steer clear of posting in the "Heavy Stuff" center portion of the forum until you know some of us a bit better and we have a better sense of who you are. The exception to that being the "Science" forum, which is really quite amiable for being "Heavy Stuff" so long as you're posting actual science. "Creation Science" goes in a completely seperate forum that can be hosed down easily.

The top and bottom of the forum are pretty light-hearted and typically have little to do with religion. It's a good place to meet some of us in a non-confrontational setting. Beware what passes for the sense of humour around here though. The 225 post "discussion" on Fold or Crumple? is just one shining example. You were warned.

Oh, and the smartest person in the world doesn't post here. They likely have better things to do. We're all just people with different skills, backgrounds, strengths and weaknesses.

Again, welcome and enjoy your stay.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post