Is it a mere coincidence that all religions are Faith based

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-02-2014, 08:49 PM
Is it a mere coincidence that all religions are Faith based
I mean.. if God is really a "Self-evident" fact like gravity why do theists feel the need to congregate every weekend to reinforce their faith?

Do they sub-consciously realize that their blind faith is all that actually exists?

Why don't scientists congregate at one place and say "Gravity exists! HAIL GRAVITY!"?

It seems like blind faith is a critical prerequisite for any God based Religion.

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like IndianAtheist's post
23-02-2014, 08:54 PM
RE: Is it a mere coincidence that all religions are Faith based
I don't know if Buddhism is based so much on faith.

The some (maybe most) others I suppose could be considered faith-based.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

23-02-2014, 08:56 PM
(23-02-2014 08:54 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I don't know if Buddhism is based so much on faith.

Since there isn't a deity to believe in and what not... yeah that makes it sorta hard. Although there's some woo pedaling with all the "spirituality" stuff my buddhist friends talk about here and there, but I get what you're saying.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
23-02-2014, 08:59 PM
I'm sure many would say their supernaturalism is blatantly evident. And they congregate to understand it better, from people who spend more time studying it.

Like a lesser scientist or the average joe that goes to a science or technology conference headed by experts.

Or they all know what there is to know, and they just remind themselves every now again, and meet up with like minded people for pleasure.

note: Buddhism is a religion like any other. Supernaturalism, patriarchal, dogmatic, irrational, violent and murderous with the non moderate factions, etc.
23-02-2014, 09:04 PM
(23-02-2014 08:49 PM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  I mean.. if God is really a "Self-evident" fact like gravity why do theists feel the need to congregate every weekend to reinforce their faith?

Do they sub-consciously realize that their blind faith is all that actually exists?

Why don't scientists congregate at one place and say "Gravity exists! HAIL GRAVITY!"?

It seems like blind faith is a critical prerequisite for any God based Religion.

Interesting observation, now how would Hitchens weaponize that for slapping.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
23-02-2014, 09:19 PM
Reality: Because constant reassurance in the only thing keeping their faith up.

What They Think: God needs his ego stroked on a regular basis.
23-02-2014, 09:35 PM
(23-02-2014 08:54 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I don't know if Buddhism is based so much on faith.

The some (maybe most) others I suppose could be considered faith-based.

Siddharta curses you for not believing in him, "the enlightened one."

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
23-02-2014, 09:38 PM
From what i know about Buddhism it is an offshoot of Hinduism which sure doesn't believe in God or any anthropomorphic deity for that matter but it does believe in the idea of Reincarnation,spirits and all the supernatural stuff which basically kinda requires blind faith and wishful thinking.

23-02-2014, 09:47 PM (This post was last modified: 23-02-2014 09:51 PM by IndianAtheist.)
(23-02-2014 08:59 PM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  I'm sure many would say their supernaturalism is blatantly evident. And they congregate to understand it better, from people who spend more time studying it.
lol if someone tells you this tell them that they're liars!

No one goes to temples/churches/mosques etc to study or research about God or Supernatural.. if they actually did that they would've been atheists by now Laugh out load

They just go there to reinforce their irrational faith because they subconsciously realize that if they don't do that sooner or later they'll lose their faith... their faith has to have some basis in reality.
(23-02-2014 09:19 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  Reality: Because constant reassurance in the only thing keeping their faith up.
What They Think: God needs his ego stroked on a regular basis.
LOL they're like drug addicts aren't they? they need to keep getting "high" on faith&wishful thinking.

23-02-2014, 09:50 PM
(23-02-2014 09:38 PM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  
From what i know about Buddhism it is an offshoot of Hinduism which sure doesn't believe in God or any anthropomorphic deity for that matter but it does believe in the idea of Reincarnation,spirits and all the supernatural stuff which basically kinda requires blind faith and wishful thinking.

I've never heard any of my buddhist friends talk about reincarnation in any similar ways of hinduism. The only way I was told from a friend was, "We begin as matter in the universe and someday we will go back to the same... and whether your matter gets used by another organism or you end up becoming star stuff again is none of your choice, but you'll end up getting re-used by it somehow, someway." but no literal "you become a butterfly, isn't that neat!" crap.

Which speaking from a scientific point of view... it's pretty accurate. You do start as energy and matter. At some point you're human. You die, and you get reused by other organism, or at some point when the sun swells up, you'll become a planetary part of the big BBQ and reused when the sun eventually turns into a white dwarf and eventually goes supernova when all the resources are used up by it. At which point you get spread all over the place, likely as just a bunch of dust and shit and probably will stay that way.

SO appreciate being alive... while you can. Evil_monster

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 2 users Like Logisch's post