Is it a mere coincidence that all religions are Faith based

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-02-2014, 11:21 PM (This post was last modified: 23-02-2014 11:33 PM by IndianAtheist.)
RE: Is it a mere coincidence that all religions are Faith based
(23-02-2014 10:20 PM)Logisch Wrote:  Again, I have heard of none of them use the term "reincarnation" as you likely intend it. As Momsurroundedbyboys mentioned, few seem to use it from a "spiritual" point and more of a literal "re-use."
I am pretty damn sure that some sects of Buddhism does believe in reincarnation though it might not be the kind of reincarnation i know of.
Quote:Re: Buddhism and reincarnation
http://buddhism.about.com/od/karmaandreb...nation.htm
Hmm interesting it seems like Buddhism is more of a philosophy than an actual religion and just like i said its just a poetic view of life if anything "Rebirth" or "reincarnation" have totally different meanings for Buddhists.

Though i personally don't think death classifies as a "rebirth" or "reincarnation" death is just death no more no less calling it anything beyond that is just pushing it.

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-02-2014, 11:26 PM
(23-02-2014 11:11 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  My friend said it was more like recycling. It's not at all meant to be reincarnation the way other religions describe it.
That still doesn't make any sense to me.. death is pretty much the end of life there is nothing to "Recycle" unless they're talking about our offsprings&genes i don't think anything living is being "Recycled".

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence
23-02-2014, 11:46 PM
(23-02-2014 11:26 PM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  
(23-02-2014 11:11 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  My friend said it was more like recycling. It's not at all meant to be reincarnation the way other religions describe it.
That still doesn't make any sense to me.. death is pretty much the end of life there is nothing to "Recycle" unless they're talking about our offsprings&genes i don't think anything living is being "Recycled".

I disagree, when a body dies, there's a chemical process that begins, gasses form the body begins to break down. Insects, other animals do their thing. Those insects or animals are consumed by larger predators.

If we're cremated our ashes can be scattered. I had my parents ashes scattered under the Golden Gate Bridge in the Bay. Not to mention smoke and ash caused by the cremation process going into the atmosphere.

I had a crazy aunt that scattered her husband's remains in her garden. Literally mixed him with compost.

Didn't Sagan assert we're all stardust? After we die we eventually return to that.

Haven't you ever seen the Lion King? Tongue Circle of life and all that shit.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

24-02-2014, 12:38 AM
(23-02-2014 11:46 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(23-02-2014 11:26 PM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  That still doesn't make any sense to me.. death is pretty much the end of life there is nothing to "Recycle" unless they're talking about our offsprings&genes i don't think anything living is being "Recycled".

I disagree, when a body dies, there's a chemical process that begins, gasses form the body begins to break down. Insects, other animals do their thing. Those insects or animals are consumed by larger predators.

If we're cremated our ashes can be scattered. I had my parents ashes scattered under the Golden Gate Bridge in the Bay. Not to mention smoke and ash caused by the cremation process going into the atmosphere.

I had a crazy aunt that scattered her husband's remains in her garden. Literally mixed him with compost.

Didn't Sagan assert we're all stardust? After we die we eventually return to that.

Haven't you ever seen the Lion King? Tongue Circle of life and all that shit.

Human arrogance...

Truth seeker.
24-02-2014, 01:17 AM
(23-02-2014 11:13 PM)donotwant Wrote:  

Well I talked to buddhists and they say reincarnation is rebirth. Although you can be not just human but animal insect etc so your friend is inventing some new religion already.

You're talking about folk Buddhism, or a misunderstanding of reincarnation.

It's not as if your conscious mind, personality, or memories reincarnate. Buddhism came from Hinduism, the belief that before time, all of reality was perfect and complete, and one in the Godhead or Brahman.

Due to an accident, the Godhead shattered, and fragments of perfection became lodged in the material world.

The goal of Hinduism is to ascend to higher forms until the Brahmin (fragment or "spark") is released back, and the Brahman re-forms.

Buddhism was a reaction to how Hinduism was used to justify the treatment of "lower classes" of people in India's caste-based society.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
24-02-2014, 01:38 AM
What is reincarnation?
24-02-2014, 01:42 AM
(24-02-2014 01:38 AM)donotwant Wrote:  What is reincarnation?

Here we go again...

Truth seeker.
24-02-2014, 01:48 AM
(24-02-2014 01:42 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(24-02-2014 01:38 AM)donotwant Wrote:  What is reincarnation?

Here we go again...

Oh so I was correct. See rampant?
24-02-2014, 02:59 AM
You're oversimplifying, and assuming English language concepts apply to eastern traditions.

"Reincarnation" normally is understood to be the transmigration of a soul to another body after death. There is no such teaching in Buddhism. One of the most fundamental doctrines of Buddhism is anatta, or anatman -- no soul or no self. There is no permanent essence of an individual self that survives death.

However, Buddhists often speak of "rebirth." If there is no soul or permanent self, what is it that is "reborn"?

The Buddha taught that what we think of as our "self" -- our ego, self-consciousness and personality -- is a creation of the skandhas. Very simply, our bodies, physical and emotional sensations, conceptualizations, ideas and beliefs, and consciousness work together to create the illusion of a permanent, distinctive "me."

http://buddhism.about.com/od/karmaandreb...nation.htm

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
24-02-2014, 03:01 AM
So what the fuck happens when you die?