Is it a mere coincidence that all religions are Faith based

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-02-2014, 03:03 AM
RE: Is it a mere coincidence that all religions are Faith based
(23-02-2014 11:46 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I disagree, when a body dies, there's a chemical process that begins, gasses form the body begins to break down. Insects, other animals do their thing. Those insects or animals are consumed by larger predators.
That's still death.. if a table is burned down to ash the "Table" won't exist anymore its not like table will be reborn from its ashes like a phoenix.

Matter&energy has always existed and it only keeps rearranging itself that is all true but the fact is that when you die that's the end of you altogether.

What i'm really getting confused about is that whether Buddhists believe in Souls/spirits or Not and WTF is exactly being "reborn".
Quote:I had a crazy aunt that scattered her husband's remains in her garden. Literally mixed him with compost.
I dunno what's so crazy about that.. after i die my relatives might as well make minced meat out of me for all i care Tongue

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-02-2014, 03:06 AM
Re-read my post, or the article for what Buddhism states happens when you die.

Summary, since you ain't gonna: "You" die. Everything that makes you an individual disappears, like an illusion, because they believe it is an illusion.

The spark of life is the only thing that passes to the next form.

Huston Smith's "The World's Religions" is good starting point for world religious beliefs.

http://www.harpercollins.com/browseinsid...0061660184

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
24-02-2014, 03:09 AM (This post was last modified: 24-02-2014 03:16 AM by IndianAtheist.)
(24-02-2014 03:06 AM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  Summary, since you ain't gonna: "You" die. Everything that makes you an individual disappears, like an illusion, because they believe it is an illusion.
That's bullshit philosophy.
Quote:The Buddha taught that what we think of as our "self" -- our ego, self-consciousness and personality -- is a creation of the skandhas. Very simply, our bodies, physical and emotional sensations, conceptualizations, ideas and beliefs, and consciousness work together to create the illusion of a permanent, distinctive "me."[/b]
Hmm... This sounds an awful lot like "Jagat mithya,Brahma Satyam" which means that the world around you(including you) is an illusion and that only Brahma is the truth.

I personally think that there's only one illusion in your entire life and that illusion is something called "RELIGION".

24-02-2014, 03:13 AM
How is the buddhism death different from materialistic concept of death?
24-02-2014, 03:22 AM
(24-02-2014 03:13 AM)donotwant Wrote:  How is the buddhism death different from materialistic concept of death?
I'm just as confused as you are.

24-02-2014, 03:23 AM
(24-02-2014 03:22 AM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  
(24-02-2014 03:13 AM)donotwant Wrote:  How is the buddhism death different from materialistic concept of death?
I'm just as confused as you are.

Yeah so let him inform us.
24-02-2014, 06:28 AM
Re: RE: Is it a mere coincidence that all religions are Faith based
(23-02-2014 08:49 PM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  I mean.. if God is really a "Self-evident" fact like gravity why do theists feel the need to congregate every weekend to reinforce their faith?

Do they sub-consciously realize that their blind faith is all that actually exists?

Why don't scientists congregate at one place and say "Gravity exists! HAIL GRAVITY!"?

It seems like blind faith is a critical prerequisite for any God based Religion.

Belief is the psychological state in which an individual holds a conjecture or premise to be true.
Faith is necessarily a belief that is not based on proof.
So I don't think true believers really need reassurance. They congregate because they just follow what they believe in.

I would say people who need reassurance doubt their beliefs (theists or atheists but most of the times theists) and need some kind of external support to make themselves blindly (in case of theists) believe in it again.

In my opinion one cannot correlate blind faith with need for congregation. The said need is a need in itself which is very basic to all human beings.

We atheists are doing somewhat similar (though not exactly the same) on this forum. But this stems from the need to be with like minded people and not reassurance and certainly not blind faith.

Question: how would you differentiate between faith and blind faith?

Also it was interesting to see how a nice thread became a platform for discussing Buddhism.
24-02-2014, 06:46 AM
(24-02-2014 06:28 AM)lamexcuses Wrote:  
(23-02-2014 08:49 PM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  I mean.. if God is really a "Self-evident" fact like gravity why do theists feel the need to congregate every weekend to reinforce their faith?

Do they sub-consciously realize that their blind faith is all that actually exists?

Why don't scientists congregate at one place and say "Gravity exists! HAIL GRAVITY!"?

It seems like blind faith is a critical prerequisite for any God based Religion.

Belief is the psychological state in which an individual holds a conjecture or premise to be true.
Faith is necessarily a belief that is not based on proof.
So I don't think true believers really need reassurance. They congregate because they just follow what they believe in.

I would say people who need reassurance doubt their beliefs (theists or atheists but most of the times theists) and need some kind of external support to make themselves blindly (in case of theists) believe in it again.

In my opinion one cannot correlate blind faith with need for congregation. The said need is a need in itself which is very basic to all human beings.

We atheists are doing somewhat similar (though not exactly the same) on this forum. But this stems from the need to be with like minded people and not reassurance and certainly not blind faith.

Question: how would you differentiate between faith and blind faith?

Also it was interesting to see how a nice thread became a platform for discussing Buddhism.

The blindness of faith is measured by the amount in which evidence support or contradict it.
If no evidence support the belief then it is blind. If evidence CONTRADICT the belief and it doesn't go away it's FUCKING BLIND. I think that was good enough.

If you believe my dog is a robot it's a blind faith. If you believe my dog is a robot after it died and got creamted in front of your eyes it's FUCKING BLIND faith.
24-02-2014, 07:08 AM
Belief, faith - we all have it. We believe that the sun will rise in the morning. It's done so every day of our lives and so we assume it will again.

Belief and faith are the same as assuming something to be true. By the very nature of the words the admission is made that it may not be true. Religious people seem to be unaware of this.

Re. the crazy aunt - ash is a good fertilizer additive in and of itself. If you have a wood burning stove or fire place you should scatter the ash in your garden. There is a public rose garden in Oakland CA where people regularly scatter ashes. I suppose it's a way to become "reincarnated", or better, recycled as a rose. You could watch the bush the ashes were scattered around a year later and say: Oh, look, that rose is "powered by " ol' Charlie.

A lot of graves in Europe have mini gardens placed on top. The symbolism is obvious.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
24-02-2014, 09:40 AM
(24-02-2014 03:09 AM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  
(24-02-2014 03:06 AM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  Summary, since you ain't gonna: "You" die. Everything that makes you an individual disappears, like an illusion, because they believe it is an illusion.
That's bullshit philosophy.
Quote:The Buddha taught that what we think of as our "self" -- our ego, self-consciousness and personality -- is a creation of the skandhas. Very simply, our bodies, physical and emotional sensations, conceptualizations, ideas and beliefs, and consciousness work together to create the illusion of a permanent, distinctive "me."[/b]
Hmm... This sounds an awful lot like "Jagat mithya,Brahma Satyam" which means that the world around you(including you) is an illusion and that only Brahma is the truth.

I personally think that there's only one illusion in your entire life and that illusion is something called "RELIGION".

Good for you. Maybe you can take your grievances up with a Buddhist, and you can cry-hug it better.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes