Poll: Is promoting atheism a moral responsibility
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Is it a moral responsibility to promote atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-09-2016, 06:02 AM
Is it a moral responsibility to promote atheism?
Seems to me that theism is a bad thing because it lets humanity off the hook for taking care of eachother/the world. Theists can just say "It's God's will" or "God will care for them/it" whenever an issue arises. People need to fight for what they believe in and theism allows people to simply let the imaginary sky daddy do the work. It's lazy. Ergo I think it's a moral duty to promote atheism - to try and convert as many theists into atheists as possible. Thoughts?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Pragmatix's post
01-09-2016, 06:15 AM
RE: Is it a moral responsibility to promote atheism?
(01-09-2016 06:02 AM)Pragmatix Wrote:  Seems to me that theism is a bad thing because it lets humanity off the hook for taking care of eachother/the world. Theists can just say "It's God's will" or "God will care for them/it" whenever an issue arises. People need to fight for what they believe in and theism allows people to simply let the imaginary sky daddy do the work. It's lazy. Ergo I think it's a moral duty to promote atheism - to try and convert as many theists into atheists as possible. Thoughts?

If you see atheism as a sort of saving grace, that it can save you from a life of misery, if you consider being religious akin to having cancer, etc.. than yes you have moral responsibility to promote atheism.

If you don't then I'd consider you morally apathetic.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
01-09-2016, 06:16 AM
It is a moral responsibility to promote liberty. What people do with that liberty is their business.

We may have a responsibility to promote rational thinking, in a society that is largely scientifically illiterate and which now possesses the means to destroy the planet. Rational thinking, I believe, leads to the inescapable conclusion that the old religious nonsense most people follow is exactly that--nonsense--but that's a far cry from a moral responsibility to promote atheism. Every person's conscience is their own. If they wish to reject rationality and believe that they have rationally come to the conclusion that magical sky fairies guide their destiny, then all I can do is tell them why I have no need of such a hypothesis.

So I suppose the answer I'd give is too complex for a "Yes or No" vote.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 9 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
01-09-2016, 06:27 AM
(01-09-2016 06:15 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  If you see atheism as a sort of saving grace, that it can save you from a life of misery, if you consider being religious akin to having cancer, etc.. than yes you have moral responsibility to promote atheism.

If you don't then I'd consider you morally apathetic.

It's more the misery of others one would hope atheism alleviates - through encouraging an atmosphere of "Get up and do something about it!" rather than "Let God take care of it."
01-09-2016, 06:32 AM
I put yes because it's closer to my answer than no. Similarly to RocketSurgeon, my more comprehensive answer would have to break down the meaning of "moral responsibility".

'Murican Canadian
01-09-2016, 06:35 AM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2016 06:43 AM by Tomasia.)
(01-09-2016 06:27 AM)Pragmatix Wrote:  It's more the misery of others one would hope atheism alleviates - through encouraging an atmosphere of "Get up and do something about it!" rather than "Let God take care of it."

If you're the type that avoids doing something, by claiming "let god take care of it". You're the type who would still not be doing something, if you no longer believed in God.

And I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but the masses of nones are not particularly the models of getting up and doing something, either.

If I'm an apathetic theist, I'm not sure why anyone wants to believe that if I abandoned my theisms, this would somehow compel me to be less apathetic.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post
01-09-2016, 06:40 AM
I voted No. I have no responsibility for others. Only those I hold dear. I have enough problems without trying to change people to my way of thinking.
Me, I am an insignificant piece of dust in the cosmos. Were I to go to xian websites to promote atheism, I would be as uncouth and rude as the theists who come here.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 11 users Like Banjo's post
01-09-2016, 06:51 AM
(01-09-2016 06:35 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(01-09-2016 06:27 AM)Pragmatix Wrote:  It's more the misery of others one would hope atheism alleviates - through encouraging an atmosphere of "Get up and do something about it!" rather than "Let God take care of it."

If you're the type that avoids doing something, by claiming "let god take care of it". You're the type who would still not be doing something, if you no longer believed in God.

And I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but the masses of nones are not particularly the models of getting up and doing something, either.

If I'm an apathetic theist, I'm not sure why anyone wants to believe that if I abandoned my theisms, this would somehow compel me to be less apathetic.

If a theist thinks God will act then they must believe that that action would be good. If they hold that action to be good then why wouldn't they facilitate it, if they could, if they didn't believe in a deity?

I remember reading that the nones give more to charity than the believers, actually.

It's not a question of wanting to believe anything - it just stands to reason. I'm not in the habit of believing things because they're appealing, despite logic, reason and evidence. At least I aspire not to...
01-09-2016, 06:53 AM
(01-09-2016 06:40 AM)Banjo Wrote:  I voted No. I have no responsibility for others. Only those I hold dear. I have enough problems without trying to change people to my way of thinking.
Me, I am an insignificant piece of dust in the cosmos. Were I to go to xian websites to promote atheism, I would be as uncouth and rude as the theists who come here.

I don't believe you No

If you found a crying infant on your doorstep but there was a tv program on you wanted to watch I'm sure you'd still comfort and care for that infant rather than simply slamming the door, despite the fact they're a stranger.
01-09-2016, 06:54 AM
I don't believe in moral responsibilities of any kind, so no.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 5 users Like Vosur's post