Poll: Is promoting atheism a moral responsibility
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Is it a moral responsibility to promote atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-09-2016, 06:35 AM
RE: Is it a moral responsibility to promote atheism?
(03-09-2016 05:55 AM)ricepudding12 Wrote:  
(01-09-2016 06:02 AM)Pragmatix Wrote:  Seems to me that theism is a bad thing because it lets humanity off the hook for taking care of eachother/the world. Theists can just say "It's God's will" or "God will care for them/it" whenever an issue arises. People need to fight for what they believe in and theism allows people to simply let the imaginary sky daddy do the work. It's lazy. Ergo I think it's a moral duty to promote atheism - to try and convert as many theists into atheists as possible. Thoughts?
"Convert" to atheism??? No. One of the main issues with religion is that it forces its own ideals down peoples throats. We should promote reason and education but evangelism is no no.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Why force reason and education down people's throats but not atheism? The one leads to the other, after all.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2016, 06:56 AM
(03-09-2016 06:35 AM)Pragmatix Wrote:  
(03-09-2016 05:55 AM)ricepudding12 Wrote:  "Convert" to atheism??? No. One of the main issues with religion is that it forces its own ideals down peoples throats. We should promote reason and education but evangelism is no no.

Why force reason and education down people's throats but not atheism? The one leads to the other, after all.
Promoting and evangelism are two different things. Also one can lead too another but that's not always the case. Some of the smartest people I've met still held on to their faith. Trying to force atheism down someone's throat is hypocritical and will actually turn people away. A mind must open on its own.

03-09-2016, 08:09 AM
(03-09-2016 06:35 AM)Pragmatix Wrote:  Why force reason and education down people's throats but not atheism? The one leads to the other, after all.

Who said anything about "forcing" reason and education? The word used was "promoting". There is a very big difference.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
03-09-2016, 08:19 AM
(03-09-2016 06:14 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(01-09-2016 09:20 PM)Stevil Wrote:  [...] I have the view that prayer is useless nonsense. BUT, if some stranger wants to pray for the recovery of another stranger, well, that's none of my business. I won't interfere. I am not of the position that I know best and everyone must come to align with my position.

Yes, it should be your business. Particularly if those prayers are falsely reassuring the unwell person, who accepts them as legitimate, and doesn't therefore seek professional medical intervention. People have been known to be suffering from cancers and who've had churchgoers repeatedly pray for their recovery. Because they too were people of faith they believed in the purported effectiveness of intercessory prayer, and... subsequently died.

And it's not simply a matter of you "knowing best" in this kind of scenario. You have science supporting your (possible) intervention, therefore—assuming you're acquainted with the sufferer—you should make your views known for their benefit, and as a matter of morality.

If someone thinks that a group of people using telepathy on a magical sky wizard to grant a cancer curing wish is going to save them then maybe its best that don't seek medical treatment. Tidy up the gene pool a bit.
[+] 3 users Like Dark Wanderer's post
03-09-2016, 09:42 AM
(03-09-2016 08:19 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  If someone thinks that a group of people using telepathy on a magical sky wizard to grant a cancer curing wish is going to save them then maybe its best that don't seek medical treatment. Tidy up the gene pool a bit.

Yeah, pretty much what I think. It's your body, your choice.

My problem is when they won't seek proper medical attention for their children. Or try to prevent you from seeking proper care for yours.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
03-09-2016, 10:09 AM
(03-09-2016 06:35 AM)Pragmatix Wrote:  Why force reason and education down people's throats but not atheism? The one leads to the other, after all.

I taught my own son how to think, not what to think. A conclusion is that much more powerful when the thinker arrives at it himself.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
03-09-2016, 02:29 PM
(03-09-2016 08:09 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  

Who said anything about "forcing" reason and education? The word used was "promoting". There is a very big difference.

Jehovas witnesses would doubtless be accused of forcing their beliefs on others. I propose to drop flyers through letterboxes promoting atheism, and nothing in this thread has turned me away from that path. I'm a fundy I guess - atheism is necessary to save the world from ourselves. Everybody needs to read from the pages of logic and reason - not deny human rights, global warming and a host of other liberties.
03-09-2016, 04:04 PM
(03-09-2016 02:29 PM)Pragmatix Wrote:  Jehovas witnesses would doubtless be accused of forcing their beliefs on others. I propose to drop flyers through letterboxes promoting atheism, and nothing in this thread has turned me away from that path. I'm a fundy I guess - atheism is necessary to save the world from ourselves. Everybody needs to read from the pages of logic and reason - not deny human rights, global warming and a host of other liberties.

Okay I highlighted some of your post.

The first one is because it's going to cost you a fortune to put flyers in all the mail boxes around the world. Airfares, hotels, dangerous places, out back Australia where the distances between towns are enormous, Africa, the favelas in Brasil where you'll likely get shot etc.

Seems like an expensive and time consuming idea to me.

The second needs some proof. I doubt a flyer, that most people just throw away, is going to help "save the world".

I've never heard of the book Logic and reason. Who is the author? Must be some book. Is it translated into Swahili and every other world language? I understand Indonesia has 5000 languages.

I do not think a few atheists can save the world. The very idea seems nonsensical to me. How does one deal with those who refuse this book? Place them in gas chambers?

All we can do is watch as the wheels of time pass. Our lives are too short to see the end of religion. That event may never occur. If so it may be millenia away. And if the human race does destroy the planet, the universe won't care.

Don't give us so much credit. We're just primates.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
03-09-2016, 07:18 PM
(03-09-2016 06:14 AM)SYZ Wrote:  you should make your views known for their benefit, and as a matter of morality.
Hmmm, yeah I'm not too good with the "should" part.

If someone I don't know is convincing someone else that I don't know to pray for recovery. Well, I just don't care, it's not my business. Nothing to do with me.
You see, I live a selfish live, I mind my own business, I take care of my needs and let others worry about theirs.

You want to become some atheist preacher, well, good luck with that, but don't come knocking on my door.
03-09-2016, 09:10 PM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2016 09:20 PM by Szuchow.)
(03-09-2016 02:29 PM)Pragmatix Wrote:  I propose to drop flyers through letterboxes promoting atheism, and nothing in this thread has turned me away from that path.

I don't agree with your proposition and nothing you said made my change my view.

You really think that piece of paper in letterbox wil convince people?

Quote: I'm a fundy I guess - atheism is necessary to save the world from ourselves.

Is it? Or it is your claim not backed by evidence?

Quote: Everybody needs to read from the pages of logic and reason - not deny human rights, global warming and a host of other liberties.

And what this has to do with atheism? You think that npnbeliever automatically does not these?

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post