Poll: Is promoting atheism a moral responsibility
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Is it a moral responsibility to promote atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-09-2016, 09:13 PM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2016 09:21 PM by Szuchow.)
RE: Is it a moral responsibility to promote atheism?
Double post.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2016, 05:19 AM
(03-09-2016 07:18 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(03-09-2016 06:14 AM)SYZ Wrote:  you should make your views known for their benefit, and as a matter of morality.
Hmmm, yeah I'm not too good with the "should" part. [...]

I guess I meant, more specifically, "should" make, to equal "have an ethical duty".

Morals and ethics are often used interchangeably. Morals are what makes you a good husband or wife or parent; ethics are what makes you a good politician or CEO. So there is a degree of practical overlap.

And making your views known needn't include ramming your opinion down someone's throat; any open platform will do.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
04-09-2016, 07:54 AM
You raise an interesting question I have grappled with for decades. I am the host of a book/film club for atheists in NYC. I have had extensive conversations with family and friends who are theists and have yet to convert one. One curious thing, I have a necklace that says ATHEIST and I have only worn it a few times. I worry that it is insulting to theists, though they have no problem promoting their symbols on shirts, hats, bumper stickers, necklaces, tattoos, etc. I think the worry I have comes from the negation of theists beliefs. Them "advertising" their views come across as options, whereas mine come across as essentially saying "you are wrong". I want to become more comfortable promoting and work on it daily.

I am still learning. -Michaelangelo
04-09-2016, 08:01 AM
You don't "promote" an "ism". "atheist" is not a moral code either. "atheist" merely means "off" on god claims. That does not mean all atheists agree on everything all the time. I am an atheist myself. But I don't like Ayn Rand atheists "fuck you I got mine", but I also don't like atheists who think Che, who lead to Cuba is cure.

What should be promoted is science and critical thinking skills, not common labels. Our species morality isn't a patent held by any label, not even atheists. Our species behaviors, both good and bad, including atheists, are a matter of evolution, not a label.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
04-09-2016, 12:10 PM
@venicerules

I see nothing insulting in necklace you mention. And if you think that it is saying that theists are wrong then the same applies to symbols worn by them. By wearing them they say you're wrong.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
04-09-2016, 12:58 PM
(04-09-2016 12:10 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  @venicerules

I see nothing insulting in necklace you mention. And if you think that it is saying that theists are wrong then the same applies to symbols worn by them. By wearing them they say you're wrong.

This is precisely what I was going to say. Remember that it is considered normal, even unremarkable, for them to wear crosses, put bumper stickers and placards on their cars, et cetera ad infinitum. If you are offended by this display of theirs, that is your problem, not theirs... and vice versa.

However, when the displays are used for purposes of social coercion or government symbology, then we have a different issue. If we put up signs that said, "Everyone in Potter Springs is an atheist (so why aren't you?)" or tried to put the American Atheists symbol on government buildings (it's the only thing I could think of that was specific to atheism, as a symbol, other than the word "atheist"; I'm sure there are others) to suggest to people that there was a connection between patriotism and atheism, then we would be crossing the line and should be stopped-- even by other atheists.

There is no right, social or otherwise, to be free from offense. What we can do is try to be respectful of our fellow citizens, in the expectation that they will do the same for us. Intent is all, here. If you are wearing your symbols for the purpose of harming people (though I'm not sure how one could do so, other than making them mad that they have to acknowledge we're real, and not just some evil loners, lurking in the darkness somewhere, that their preachers told them about), or taking actions that badger or bully or try to coerce believers, then you are wrong.

That is the line. Essentially, you may swing your arms freely until you swing it at my nose. That you're uncomfortable with me swinging my arms freely is of no consequence, only whether I hit you or try to make you think I'm going to hit you.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
04-09-2016, 01:38 PM
To put it another way, this...

[Image: 4468822750_6afa42c622_b.jpg]

is not the same as this...

[Image: 2015095603299aedae2.jpg]

And if they still can't understand the difference, ask them how they'd felt if the back of their government's police cars read,

"THERE IS NO GOD SO YOU HAVE TO DEPEND ON US"

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
04-09-2016, 02:22 PM
You could never do that to a police car in Australia.

As for the atheist; consider the duco!

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
04-09-2016, 02:30 PM
(04-09-2016 01:38 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  To put it another way, this...

[Image: 4468822750_6afa42c622_b.jpg]

is not the same as this...

[Image: 2015095603299aedae2.jpg]

And if they still can't understand the difference, ask them how they'd felt if the back of their government's police cars read,

"THERE IS NO GOD SO YOU HAVE TO DEPEND ON US"

With the canine there maybe it should say "In Dog we trust!"
[+] 4 users Like Born Again Pagan's post
04-09-2016, 06:34 PM
(04-09-2016 05:19 AM)SYZ Wrote:  I guess I meant, more specifically, "should" make, to equal "have an ethical duty".

Morals and ethics are often used interchangeably. Morals are what makes you a good husband or wife or parent; ethics are what makes you a good politician or CEO. So there is a degree of practical overlap.

And making your views known needn't include ramming your opinion down someone's throat; any open platform will do.
I'm not trying to argue with you Syz, just expressing myself here.

I don't have any ethical duties. I'm not really one for unwritten rules. There are already too many rules, why would I choose to accept more, especially if they are not enforced?

I, of course do understand action and consequence, so I don't just go about doing as I like because often there are consequences so I have to moderate my own behaviour. It's not really rules, it's just foreseeing the outcome.

But my atheism is just a lack of belief in magical gods. That comes with no moral obligations above and beyond what some theists believe they have.
I don't have to promote lack of belief in gods, I don't have to promote lack of belief in supernatural powers. In fact if I do so then all I'm going to do, is to piss off many theists around me. Now I'm not always adverse to pissing people off, but what would be the point in me picking up on the religious convictions of others and going out of my way to tell them that they are wrong?

I'm hoping that if I don't try to convert them, then they wont try to convert me. If we go down that path, then we are just best to avoid each other, rather than co-exist.
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post