Poll: Is promoting atheism a moral responsibility
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Is it a moral responsibility to promote atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-09-2016, 07:52 PM
RE: Is it a moral responsibility to promote atheism?
Moral responsibility (if that's what you want to call it) is teaching critical thinking to the young.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
05-09-2016, 12:54 AM
(04-09-2016 07:52 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Moral responsibility (if that's what you want to call it) is teaching critical thinking to the young.

I would posit that a corollary to that moral responsibility is the duty to stop religious fanatics from using positions of power and/or influence to try to subvert the development of that ability in the young.

It's one of the reasons we heathens tend to react so vehemently to things like school prayer and religious assembly, the insertion of "under God" into the Pledge, and the "In God We Trust" motto being overlaid on the original "E Pluribus Unum". These are beachheads for the assault on vulnerable minds.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
05-09-2016, 10:26 AM
(04-09-2016 07:54 AM)venicerules Wrote:  [...] One curious thing, I have a necklace that says ATHEIST and I have only worn it a few times. I worry that it is insulting to theists, though they have no problem promoting their symbols on shirts, hats, bumper stickers, necklaces, tattoos, etc.

Why is it that so many Christians wear a symbol of torture around their necks or on their shirts?

Confused

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
05-09-2016, 10:34 AM
(05-09-2016 10:26 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(04-09-2016 07:54 AM)venicerules Wrote:  [...] One curious thing, I have a necklace that says ATHEIST and I have only worn it a few times. I worry that it is insulting to theists, though they have no problem promoting their symbols on shirts, hats, bumper stickers, necklaces, tattoos, etc.

Why is it that so many Christians wear a symbol of torture around their necks or on their shirts?

Confused

They're greedy sadists. If Jesus wasn't tortured to death then they'd actually have to own up to being pricks.
05-09-2016, 12:50 PM

Confused

I like to rib my Christian friends, when they wear crosses, by asking (as innocently as I can manage), "If Jesus had come during the French Revolution, would you guys all be wearing razor blades?"

[Image: il_570xN.728620060_q5ro.jpg]

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
05-09-2016, 01:35 PM

Confused
For them it is symbol of sacrifice and salvation I guess.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
05-09-2016, 05:07 PM
(05-09-2016 01:35 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(05-09-2016 10:26 AM)SYZ Wrote:  Why is it that so many Christians wear a symbol of torture around their necks or on their shirts?

Confused
For them it is symbol of sacrifice and salvation I guess.

"Man, they're still wearing crosses. Fuck it, I'm not goin' back, Dad. No, they totally missed the point. When they start wearing fishes, I might show up again, but... let me bury fossils with you, Dad. Fuck 'em, let's fuck with 'em! Hand me that brontosaurus head, Dad.”
Bill Hicks.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
06-09-2016, 05:02 AM
(05-09-2016 05:07 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(05-09-2016 01:35 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  For them it is symbol of sacrifice and salvation I guess.

"Man, they're still wearing crosses. Fuck it, I'm not goin' back, Dad. No, they totally missed the point. When they start wearing fishes, I might show up again, but... let me bury fossils with you, Dad. Fuck 'em, let's fuck with 'em! Hand me that brontosaurus head, Dad.”
Bill Hicks.

I went back to watch that Bill Hicks skit; it's one of my favorites from way back. Then I watched the next video, and it was His Unholiness George Carlin the First (may the Force be with him).

As I was watching the video, thinking it was me being sidetracked... and I realized that Carlin's comedy bit on religion explains exactly why we have a moral responsibility to promote rational thinking and to undermine the power of the religious bullshitters.

[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
06-09-2016, 05:33 AM
(05-09-2016 10:26 AM)SYZ Wrote:  Why is it that so many Christians wear a symbol of torture around their necks or on their shirts?

Confused

Think about it for a minute. It could be worse.

If he had been beheaded, would they wear axes or severed heads?
If he had been burnt at the stake, would they wear charcoal briquettes? or matches?
If he had been fed to the "wild beasts", would it be teeth, claws or fur?

If he had been stoned (heh...) would they wear a rock?
Also instead of the sign-of-the-cross, they could just punch themselves a lot...

What if he had been impaled?
That'd be some fucked up jewelry... Shocking

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
06-09-2016, 05:56 AM
Please don't. If all the theists around me became atheists then i would lose a valuable source of entertainment.
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Wanderer's post