Poll: Is promoting atheism a moral responsibility
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Is it a moral responsibility to promote atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-09-2016, 06:56 AM
RE: Is it a moral responsibility to promote atheism?
(01-09-2016 06:53 AM)Pragmatix Wrote:  I don't believe you No

If you found a crying infant on your doorstep but there was a tv program on you wanted to watch I'm sure you'd still comfort and care for that infant rather than simply slamming the door, despite the fact they're a stranger.

At 16 I read Nietzsche and he taught me to form my own morals.

The baby plays no part in this. What am I gonna do? "Baby, there is no god or gods".

Don't talk to me like I am stupid.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
01-09-2016, 07:01 AM
I voted no but I echo the sentiments of many previous posters.

It the question had been about a moral responsibility to promote skepticism or even to promote secularism then I'd probably have voted yes. I don't think atheism is the important issue because I think that as more people learn to evaluate claims rationally it would be the inevitable result. At the same time we'd be getting rid of other forms of woo and making a bigger dent in racism and other social ills.

Focusing on atheism might increase the number of non-god-believers but would not necessarily help fight other irrational beliefs. That wouldn't be a bad thing but I think it is a distraction and less productive. My target isn't faith in god, it is faith itself.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
01-09-2016, 07:03 AM
(01-09-2016 06:02 AM)Pragmatix Wrote:  Seems to me that theism is a bad thing because it lets humanity off the hook for taking care of eachother/the world. Theists can just say "It's God's will" or "God will care for them/it" whenever an issue arises.

Theism is a bad thing because it promotes faith.

Faith is a bad thing because it promotes belief in something without supporting evidence and in spite of contradictory evidence.

(01-09-2016 06:02 AM)Pragmatix Wrote:  People need to fight for what they believe in and theism allows people to simply let the imaginary sky daddy do the work. It's lazy. Ergo I think it's a moral duty to promote atheism - to try and convert as many theists into atheists as possible. Thoughts?

An atheist who tries to convert as many people as possible is no different from evangelical theists.

Morality and moral duty are not black and white, despite what we want to believe.

Instead of "preaching" atheism, I think it would be better to do the following:

Promote education, especially in history and comparative religions.

Promote the scientific method.

Educate yourself so that you may be able to articulately explain your beliefs.

Refrain from attempting to convert others. It is better to present the information and allow them to reach their own understanding.

Repudiate false teachings like Creationism, Flat Earthers, etc. Defend the proven, scientific principles when they are attacked.

I suppose I would say that it is better to fight against ignorance than religion.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 6 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
01-09-2016, 07:07 AM
I want the guy to explain the word "fight" in this context?

Suddenly the atheists invade the Sudetenland?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
01-09-2016, 07:09 AM
(01-09-2016 06:27 AM)Pragmatix Wrote:  It's more the misery of others one would hope atheism alleviates - through encouraging an atmosphere of "Get up and do something about it!" rather than "Let God take care of it."

You are conflating apathy and atheism. They are two unrelated things.

Atheism does not alleviate misery. It only indicates your position on theism.

Apathy is not an inherent problem among believers. It is also not exclusive to believers.

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
01-09-2016, 07:11 AM
"Fight" as in put in effort. Do something. Leave apathetic laziness a bloody ruin upon the mountainside.
01-09-2016, 07:13 AM
(01-09-2016 07:09 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(01-09-2016 06:27 AM)Pragmatix Wrote:  It's more the misery of others one would hope atheism alleviates - through encouraging an atmosphere of "Get up and do something about it!" rather than "Let God take care of it."

You are conflating apathy and atheism. They are two unrelated things.

Atheism does not alleviate misery. It only indicates your position on theism.

Apathy is not an inherent problem among believers. It is also not exclusive to believers.

It's not apathetic to think God will intercede - You could care a whole bunch but simply think it would be taken care of (or not) by God according to his will.
01-09-2016, 07:16 AM
(01-09-2016 07:11 AM)Pragmatix Wrote:  "Fight" as in put in effort. Do something. Leave apathetic laziness a bloody ruin upon the mountainside.

So an idea, a culture clash, like Barbarossa on June 22 1941?

Banjo.
01-09-2016, 07:19 AM
(01-09-2016 07:07 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Suddenly the atheists invade the Sudetenland?

Heh. First we'd have to define terms like "invade" and "Sudetenland". Are we "invading" or "liberating"? "Historical" or "Modern" Sudetenland? Second, eh. Who am I kidding? We'd never make it past the first point. Tongue

[+] 2 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
01-09-2016, 07:21 AM
(01-09-2016 07:16 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(01-09-2016 07:11 AM)Pragmatix Wrote:  "Fight" as in put in effort. Do something. Leave apathetic laziness a bloody ruin upon the mountainside.

So an idea, a culture clash, like Barbarossa on June 22 1941?

I would hope most people would see invasive warfare as being counter-productive given their aims. Near universally held ideals such as peace, harmony, happiness etc. would seem to preclude invasive warfare from being something to strive for. There are exceptions of course.