Poll: Is promoting atheism a moral responsibility
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Is it a moral responsibility to promote atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-09-2016, 07:22 AM
RE: Is it a moral responsibility to promote atheism?
(01-09-2016 07:21 AM)Pragmatix Wrote:  
(01-09-2016 07:16 AM)Banjo Wrote:  So an idea, a culture clash, like Barbarossa on June 22 1941?

I would hope most people would see invasive warfare as being counter-productive given their aims. Near universally held ideals such as peace, harmony, happiness etc. would seem to preclude invasive warfare from being something to strive for. There are exceptions of course.

George Harrison's dead, dude.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2016, 07:26 AM
Yeah, you killed him because he called you a psychopath Laugh out load
01-09-2016, 07:29 AM
(01-09-2016 07:26 AM)Pragmatix Wrote:  Yeah, you killed him because he called you a psychopath Laugh out load

No, he died of cancer. Just as I may.

The fact the world has since around 330 not just been fought for territory, but also ideals. I see no way to control it.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
01-09-2016, 07:37 AM
(01-09-2016 07:07 AM)Banjo Wrote:  I want the guy to explain the word "fight" in this context?

Suddenly the atheists invade the Sudetenland?

Road trip!

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
01-09-2016, 07:51 AM
(01-09-2016 07:29 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(01-09-2016 07:26 AM)Pragmatix Wrote:  Yeah, you killed him because he called you a psychopath Laugh out load

No, he died of cancer. Just as I may.

The fact the world has since around 330 not just been fought for territory, but also ideals. I see no way to control it.

Oh. Sorry - didn't mean to be insensitive. All the best with your treatment program Smile
01-09-2016, 07:54 AM
(01-09-2016 07:51 AM)Pragmatix Wrote:  
(01-09-2016 07:29 AM)Banjo Wrote:  No, he died of cancer. Just as I may.

Oh. Sorry - didn't mean to be insensitive. All the best with your treatment program Smile

Not looking for sympathy buddy. Just good sense.

Banjo.
01-09-2016, 08:34 AM
(01-09-2016 06:51 AM)Pragmatix Wrote:  If a theist thinks God will act then they must believe that that action would be good. If they hold that action to be good then why wouldn't they facilitate it, if they could, if they didn't believe in a deity?

There's a tendency among atheists to psychologize theists not based on any particular facts, but the distorted imaginations of atheists. Most theists are not fatalist, which would be a heresy in regards to Christianity, which advocates for taking care of the poor, the orphan the widow, justice, etc... and calls it's adherents to actively participant in the good, and not act as some bystanders waiting on some God to do this for them.

And the facts don't support the contention, than the religious are less inclined to be active participants in charities, etc.. than the nones.

Quote:I remember reading that the nones give more to charity than the believers, actually.

And you would be wrong: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion...erous.html

In fact if we look at the least religious countries, our heralded western secular counterparts, they don't even break the top 20 most generous nations. So the narrative if which non-religiousness equates with more proactive giving, seems to be false when real world data is considered.

Quote:It's not a question of wanting to believe anything - it just stands to reason. I'm not in the habit of believing things because they're appealing, despite logic, reason and evidence. At least I aspire not to...

Logic nor reason, not evidence has a moral arc. They're subservient to your passions, and desires, or lack of desires, or lack of concern.

If the thought of believing that we should take care of the poor, and disenfranchised, isn't appealing to you, you just fall into the camp of the apathetic. Those who truly believe this, are not led to do so by reason and logic, but because their attracted to it.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
01-09-2016, 08:45 AM
(01-09-2016 08:34 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
Quote:I remember reading that the nones give more to charity than the believers, actually.

I have contradictory data, and it's not based on self-reported generosity either:

Muslims and Christians less generous than atheists, study finds:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion...finds.html
01-09-2016, 08:50 AM
There's also the fact that atheistic countries have far more generous welfare states than more religious countries.
01-09-2016, 08:54 AM
(01-09-2016 08:34 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(01-09-2016 06:51 AM)Pragmatix Wrote:  If a theist thinks God will act then they must believe that that action would be good. If they hold that action to be good then why wouldn't they facilitate it, if they could, if they didn't believe in a deity?

There's a tendency among atheists to psychologize theists not based on any particular facts, but the distorted imaginations of atheists. Most theists are not fatalist, which would be a heresy in regards to Christianity, which advocates for taking care of the poor, the orphan the widow, justice, etc... and calls it's adherents to actively participant in the good, and not act as some bystanders waiting on some God to do this for them.

And the facts don't support the contention, than the religious are less inclined to be active participants in charities, etc.. than the nones.

In fact if we look at the least religious countries, our heralded western secular counterparts, they don't even break the top 20 most generous nations. So the narrative if which non-religiousness equates with more proactive giving, seems to be false when real world data is considered.

Quote:It's not a question of wanting to believe anything - it just stands to reason. I'm not in the habit of believing things because they're appealing, despite logic, reason and evidence. At least I aspire not to...

Logic nor reason, not evidence has a moral arc. They're subservient to your passions, and desires, or lack of desires, or lack of concern.

If the thought of believing that we should take care of the poor, and disenfranchised, isn't appealing to you, you just fall into the camp of the apathetic. Those who truly believe this, are not led to do so by reason and logic, but because their attracted to it.

Looking at this table, there appears to be no correlation between religiosity and giving.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user