Poll: Is promoting atheism a moral responsibility
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Is it a moral responsibility to promote atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-09-2016, 10:48 AM
RE: Is it a moral responsibility to promote atheism?
*Sigh* I'm not a very good Conservative, I'm an even worse Liberal, I'm a truly horrible theist, and I guess I'm not a particularly good atheist either. I confess I don't even understand where questions like this one come from.

I have evaluated all of the data at my fingertips, and long ago decided I did not believe in a participating God. Is there an intelligence behind the formation of the universe we know? Well...how in the hell could I know that? I don't even care, not in the slightest. It's what Douglas Adams calls an SEP.

So no matter what I believe, or the theists believe, the truth is nobody knows for absolute certain. We choose to believe or not based on our environment, our families, our education, our mental illnesses, due to brainwashing...whatever.

I don't care if a person believes a giant purple penguin carries the universe in a Kangaroo-like pack on the her belly, waiting for it to hatch and turn into another giant purple penguin, who will then be their Messiah and lead all giant purple penguins in a revolt against the Great Alabaster Sharks...provided he doesn't harm anyone or PREACH TO ME.

"Promoting Atheism"...how is that different from preaching again?

No, thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2016, 10:54 AM
(01-09-2016 10:11 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(01-09-2016 06:02 AM)Pragmatix Wrote:  Seems to me that theism is a bad thing because it lets humanity off the hook for taking care of eachother/the world. Theists can just say "It's God's will" or "God will care for them/it" whenever an issue arises. People need to fight for what they believe in and theism allows people to simply let the imaginary sky daddy do the work. It's lazy. Ergo I think it's a moral duty to promote atheism - to try and convert as many theists into atheists as possible. Thoughts?

I don't think so. I don't think anyone should promote atheism because it is nothing but a lack of belief. What one should promote if one chooses to is rationality. That would truly change the world for the better and I think it is in everyone's rational self interest to do so. But, it's certainly not a moral responsibility. I don't believe there are any moral duties. The highest moral purpose of anyone's life is his own success and happiness. Promoting reason is fully consistent with that purpose.

You do not believe that, say, that community orientated groups, as I mentioned above, might not help promote the idea that atheism does not equal am- or immorality? That it is possible to be an ethical, law obeying (mostly) citizen, aware of his/her responsibilities, without needing a belief in woo.

Yes, promote rationality by all means but is that the whole substance of "considered" atheism? (As opposed using the description but not bothering to think about it.) Most on this forum seem to have a well developed moral stance, we perhaps need to advertise rhat this is possible without woo. Best to do it by quiet, organised action in the community, but with the A-word, or the H-word, in the title of the organisation.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
01-09-2016, 10:55 AM
(01-09-2016 06:02 AM)Pragmatix Wrote:  Seems to me that theism is a bad thing because it lets humanity off the hook for taking care of eachother/the world. Theists can just say "It's God's will" or "God will care for them/it" whenever an issue arises. People need to fight for what they believe in and theism allows people to simply let the imaginary sky daddy do the work. It's lazy. Ergo I think it's a moral duty to promote atheism - to try and convert as many theists into atheists as possible. Thoughts?

To me one of the worst parts of a religion is that the adherents feel that they have a right or a need psychological or otherwise to spread the word.
You gonna make up tracts and knock on doors and show people in writing why their ain't no God?
Basically I am a libertarian and don't believe in forcing or even convincing others that I am right and they are wrong.
[+] 1 user Likes Born Again Pagan's post
01-09-2016, 11:22 AM
I was more thinking of dropping leaflets advertising this site through letterboxes actually. Drinking Beverage
01-09-2016, 11:44 AM

01-09-2016, 11:56 AM
(01-09-2016 11:44 AM)Pragmatix Wrote:  

Blatant propaganda. The media covers the actions of the "interesting" Republicans, who do not speak for the majority. I'm an atheist Republican, and I comfortably straddle the fence between parties. They both have good and bad ideas- I'm not going to support a bad idea just because some other Republican thought of it...nor am I going to let a good idea die just because some liberal thought of it. There are actually quite a lot of people who think like I do in Texas, despite the media's biased reporting.

Idiots like this just keep the parties divided and impede progress.
[+] 1 user Likes The Dark One's post
01-09-2016, 11:58 AM
Atheism is a result of skeptical thinking and requiring evidence before one believes a claim.

All we need do is promote skeptical thinking.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
01-09-2016, 12:01 PM
(01-09-2016 11:56 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  
(01-09-2016 11:44 AM)Pragmatix Wrote:  

Blatant propaganda. The media covers the actions of the "interesting" Republicans, who do not speak for the majority. I'm an atheist Republican, and I comfortably straddle the fence between parties. They both have good and bad ideas- I'm not going to support a bad idea just because some other Republican thought of it...nor am I going to let a good idea die just because some liberal thought of it. There are actually quite a lot of people who think like I do in Texas, despite the media's biased reporting.

You're going to vote for Trump? Laughat If it's true.
01-09-2016, 12:03 PM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2016 12:16 PM by The Dark One.)
(01-09-2016 12:01 PM)Pragmatix Wrote:  
(01-09-2016 11:56 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  Blatant propaganda. The media covers the actions of the "interesting" Republicans, who do not speak for the majority. I'm an atheist Republican, and I comfortably straddle the fence between parties. They both have good and bad ideas- I'm not going to support a bad idea just because some other Republican thought of it...nor am I going to let a good idea die just because some liberal thought of it. There are actually quite a lot of people who think like I do in Texas, despite the media's biased reporting.

You're going to vote for Trump? Laughat If it's true.

It would be funny to vote for Trump, and frightening to vote for Hillary. There is no way to win this time around. We're...what's the word? Oh...FUCKED.
01-09-2016, 12:05 PM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2016 01:18 PM by SitaSky.)
I voted no, to go around trying to promote and spread atheism is just as bad as door to door Mormons and churches sending out flyers to come by and pray with them. They are assuming you will be happier if you convert to their religion, that's pretty fucking stupid. I would never assume someone would be better off without religion, maybe they need it for emotional reasons or to be moral, I don't want that responsibility to tell them they have it wrong. They want to live in a fantasy world where angels exist and prayers work? Go ahead!

On the other hand if I meet someone who wants to know how I feel about religion I will gladly share my thoughts and feelings. If they want a debate, I'll give it to them but it's not to convince them, it's to highlight the weaknesses in their argument, they should re-evaluate their beliefs just like I re-evaluate mine on a consistent basis. I do feel a moral responsibility to be a good atheist, to make good choices and represent my community in a positive way but I'm not going around "promoting" atheism.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like SitaSky's post