Poll: Is promoting atheism a moral responsibility
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Is it a moral responsibility to promote atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-09-2016, 12:06 PM
RE: Is it a moral responsibility to promote atheism?
(01-09-2016 10:48 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  Is there an intelligence behind the formation of the universe we know?...

There is no evidence for such. So there is no reason for assuming existence of such intelligence.

Quote: So no matter what I believe, or the theists believe, the truth is nobody knows for absolute certain.

No need for so called absolute certainty. High probability is enough to provissionaly accept scientists explanation(s) just like lack of evidence is enough to dismiss theist claims.

Quote: We choose to believe or not based on our environment, our families, our education, our mental illnesses, due to brainwashing...whatever.

Not really. I didn't choose to be catholic and neither I choose to became atheist. I didn't wake up one day and decided to stop believing.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2016, 12:08 PM
(01-09-2016 12:03 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  
(01-09-2016 12:01 PM)Pragmatix Wrote:  You're going to vote for Trump? Laughat If it's true.

It would be funny to vote for Trump, and frightening to vote for Killary. There is no way to win this time around. We're...what's the word? Oh...FUCKED.

Why do you call her Killary?
01-09-2016, 12:09 PM
(01-09-2016 12:08 PM)Pragmatix Wrote:  
(01-09-2016 12:03 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  It would be funny to vote for Trump, and frightening to vote for Killary. There is no way to win this time around. We're...what's the word? Oh...FUCKED.

Why do you call her Killary?

lol...err, because I have fat fingers I guess. Sorry.
01-09-2016, 12:14 PM
Quote:Is there an intelligence behind the formation of the universe we know?...

There is no evidence for such. So there is no reason for assuming existence of such intelligence.
Nor is there evidence against.

Quote:So no matter what I believe, or the theists believe, the truth is nobody knows for absolute certain.

No need for so called absolute certainty. High probability is enough to provissionaly accept scientists explanation(s) just like lack of evidence is enough to dismiss theist claims.

You are certainly free to interpret things as you will...I require absolute.

Quote:We choose to believe or not based on our environment, our families, our education, our mental illnesses, due to brainwashing...whatever.

Not really. I didn't choose to be catholic and neither I choose to became atheist. I didn't wake up one day and decided to stop believing.

I'm sorry, I don't understand how that is an argument against your environment influencing your beliefs, but if it is, you are wrong.

Cheers!
01-09-2016, 12:28 PM
(01-09-2016 12:14 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  Nor is there evidence against.

So you believe in things for which there is no evidence? You're certainly free to do so if that is the case.

Quote:You are certainly free to interpret things as you will...I require absolute.

I wonder how you obtain absoluteknowledge?

Quote: I'm sorry, I don't understand how that is an argument against your environment influencing your beliefs, but if it is, you are wrong.

I see that you don't understand. I didn't said that environment do not influence our beliefs only that we don't really choose them, or in any case I do not.

I didn't suddenly choose to disbelieve, it didn't had anything to do with concious choice. Maybe your case is different but your use of "we" is unwarranted.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
01-09-2016, 12:49 PM
(01-09-2016 10:00 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  No it's not. People pray on top of doing what they can. Such as the family of the man getting treated for his cancer at the hospital, praying that he recovers, while also undergoing treatment.

Or the one praying for a friend in financial straights, while also taking up a collection box to help him out.

Then why bother praying? It serves no purpose.

(01-09-2016 10:00 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Yes, the same way that secular humanism advocates for woman's right, while sexually harassing them at conventions.

Do you really want to compare the various atheist organizations and the various religious groups in regards to sexual misconduct?

(01-09-2016 10:00 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Some christians exploit the poor, some christians don't. Some fight tooth and nail for them, often at the risk of their own life, some exploit them for their own financial gain, some sacrifice their all for them.

Any non-profit organization, especially a religious organization, is parasitic by nature. Any charity work done by such groups has to be taken in context with their proselytizing during such works. Are they helping the poor to spread the word? Are they helping the poor because god told them to? Are they taking money from the poor in Haiti and giving it to the poor in India?

And as far as the some do/some don't argument, you are the one who likes to paint atheists with one, wide brush.
If you expect an atheist to differentiate between religious groups, be prepared to do the same.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
01-09-2016, 01:40 PM
(01-09-2016 06:02 AM)Pragmatix Wrote:  Ergo I think it's a moral duty to promote atheism - to try and convert as many theists into atheists as possible. Thoughts?
I don't have any moral responsibilities at all.
But, theism goes completely against my own philosophy as a parent.

I value independence, I value skepticism, I value evidence and reasoning.
I value diversity.

Theism is against all of these things.

I would never vote for a theistic based political party. i would never promote theism or support theism.

Would I actively oppose theism or try to convert a theist? Not really. If other people want dependance and rules and faith, then that's upto them as long as they don't look to force that on me.
01-09-2016, 01:40 PM
(01-09-2016 12:09 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  
(01-09-2016 12:08 PM)Pragmatix Wrote:  Why do you call her Killary?

lol...err, because I have fat fingers I guess. Sorry.

wow, they're pretty fat fingers to bridge from an h to a k! Freudian slip more like. You do know that it was the last republican president who lead us into 2 wars? Far more killy than the Clintons imo.
01-09-2016, 01:46 PM
(01-09-2016 12:49 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Then why bother praying? It serves no purpose.

Because someone being cured through treatment, and chemotherapy, is as much an answered prayer, as if it were a spontaneous miraculous one.

(01-09-2016 12:49 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(01-09-2016 10:00 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Yes, the same way that secular humanism advocates for woman's right, while sexually harassing them at conventions.

Do you really want to compare the various atheist organizations and the various religious groups in regards to sexual misconduct?

If you're going to do so by appealing to anecdotal evidences, no. If you have any worthwhile studies I'm all ears.

Quote:Any non-profit organization, especially a religious organization, is parasitic by nature.

As opposed to for-profit organization? Are human beings parasitic by nature? Or only when they organize do they become parasitic by nature? Are you parasitic by nature?

Are atheists organizing on an internet forum like this parasitic by nature?

Quote:And as far as the some do/some don't argument, you are the one who likes to paint atheists with one, wide brush.

As you do to religious organizations?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
01-09-2016, 03:17 PM
Told my boys about this thread and they both said this, this is how you promote atheism, without promoting atheism.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post