Poll: Is promoting atheism a moral responsibility
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Is it a moral responsibility to promote atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-09-2016, 04:09 PM
RE: Is it a moral responsibility to promote atheism?
Well, W.C. Fields began as a juggler.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2016, 04:12 PM
(01-09-2016 01:46 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Because someone being cured through treatment, and chemotherapy, is as much an answered prayer, as if it were a spontaneous miraculous one.

You are conflating prayer and coincidence. Under that logic, praying to Zeus or the Flying Spaghetti Monster would be just as effective as praying to your god.

(01-09-2016 01:46 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  If you're going to do so by appealing to anecdotal evidences, no. If you have any worthwhile studies I'm all ears.

The crimes of religious figures and organizations in regards to child abuse are well documented. If you wish to dispute that, I'm sure many posters here would love to take up that challenge.

(01-09-2016 01:46 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  As opposed to for-profit organization? Are human beings parasitic by nature? Or only when they organize do they become parasitic by nature? Are you parasitic by nature?

My apologies. I assumed you would understand my meaning.

A parasitic organism, or organization for that matter, feeds off of a host creature or creatures. Rather than a symbiotic relationship, in which both sides benefit, parasitic relationships are one sided, with the host organism gaining no benefit or even suffering detrimental effects from the relationship.

A for-profit organization provides goods and/or services in exchange for cash and in such a manner as to make a financial profit from their endeavors. For example a store sells a product and the consumer buys that product. This is symbiotic rather than parasitic, since both sides benefit, in theory, from the relationship.

That clear everything up, or should I try again with smaller words?

(01-09-2016 01:46 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Are atheists organizing on an internet forum like this parasitic by nature?

I would say not, but we do seem to attract more than our share of such creatures.
I hope you're not going to go down the "atheism-is-a-religion" path. Again...

(01-09-2016 01:46 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  As you do to religious organizations?

Hmm. I would say not in all ways but maybe in some.

Being an atheist I consider all religious organizations to be operating from a fundamentally flawed position, i.e. their belief in god(s).

I also understand that faith, as defined by religious organizations, is not a virtue and is synonymous with gullibility. An organization that espouses faith is fundamentally wrong.

Beyond those two points, I try to differentiate between religious organizations and individuals.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 3 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
01-09-2016, 04:19 PM
I've seen many families pray in hospital and lose their loved one. (sigh) Too many times.

I have said it before. I noticed those who were more religious died faster. I think it is because they believed they would continue to live in an afterlife. An oxymoron if ever I heard one.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
01-09-2016, 04:36 PM
(01-09-2016 04:19 PM)Banjo Wrote:  I've seen many families pray in hospital and lose their loved one. (sigh) Too many times.

I have said it before. I noticed those who were more religious died faster. I think it is because they believed they would continue to live in an afterlife. An oxymoron if ever I heard one.

That makes me curious. Do we have a thread somewhere comparing the suicide rates of atheists to genpop and religimous? We should.

#sigh
01-09-2016, 05:19 PM
(01-09-2016 04:36 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(01-09-2016 04:19 PM)Banjo Wrote:  I've seen many families pray in hospital and lose their loved one. (sigh) Too many times.

That makes me curious. Do we have a thread somewhere comparing the suicide rates of atheists to genpop and religimous? We should.

No but I did mention it in my health thread. I have since lost count but do recall noticing at the time. When you spend 11 months in two hospitals on cancer wards, you don't miss things. There's nothing else to do.

Mate these days I cannot even remember the names of the med's I am on. I actually must photograph the bottles so I can show doctors when they ask. "Chemo brain" leaves one amazingly vague.

Banjo.
01-09-2016, 05:19 PM
(01-09-2016 06:02 AM)Pragmatix Wrote:  Seems to me that theism is a bad thing because it lets humanity off the hook for taking care of eachother/the world. Theists can just say "It's God's will" or "God will care for them/it" whenever an issue arises. People need to fight for what they believe in and theism allows people to simply let the imaginary sky daddy do the work. It's lazy. Ergo I think it's a moral duty to promote atheism - to try and convert as many theists into atheists as possible. Thoughts?

.... not exactly.

Theism is a bit of a broad problem, and because it takes many forms there isn't a one-size fits all solution.

The moral decision is to be strategic, tactical, and EFFECTIVE in opposing the evils of religion. Don't think that being effective is a moral imperative? Then go stand with the people who try to cure cancer with prayer.

The god-belief itself is silly and ridiculous, but not all that nasty. The problem isn't the belief in a god, it's all the nasty stuff that is often (but not always) attached to that belief in a god. Mysogeny, racism, child abuse, restraint of science and freedoms, the list goes on and on. If you target the theism, rather than the negatives attached to theism, you're aiming at the wrong target and you're not being effective. If you target each evil individually, you'll also be relatively ineffective, because you're not undoing where they come from.

First and foremost, the seed from which most of the other evils sprout is epistemic faith. (That is, believing that you know something simply because you believe in it really really hard.) Faith doesn't just bring in the god, it brings in a nigh-unshakeable conviction in "holy" texts that endorses all manner of cruelty, hatred, and evil. It brings in traditions, it brings in rituals, it brings in the "personal relationship" that makes everything harder to debunk, and it brings in a get-out-of-logic-free card that insulates the believer from having to justify... well, anything that might do.

The problem is not a belief in a sky-wizard. That's just another symptom. The problem is faith, and the moral thing to do is destroy that faith.
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
01-09-2016, 05:31 PM
(01-09-2016 06:15 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(01-09-2016 06:02 AM)Pragmatix Wrote:  Seems to me that theism is a bad thing because it lets humanity off the hook for taking care of eachother/the world. Theists can just say "It's God's will" or "God will care for them/it" whenever an issue arises. People need to fight for what they believe in and theism allows people to simply let the imaginary sky daddy do the work. It's lazy. Ergo I think it's a moral duty to promote atheism - to try and convert as many theists into atheists as possible. Thoughts?

If you see atheism as a sort of saving grace, that it can save you from a life of misery, if you consider being religious akin to having cancer, etc.. than yes you have moral responsibility to promote atheism.

If you don't then I'd consider you morally apathetic.

I'm not sure why any unknown guiding responsibility would be seen to exist.

Does you considering them morally apathetic give them a responsibility? Why would there be one even to oneself?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
01-09-2016, 05:39 PM
Why does their god give them cancer and kill them in agony anyway?

Why does prayer fail?

Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
01-09-2016, 05:58 PM

Which theists do that? Do any theists fail to do that?
01-09-2016, 06:59 PM
Side stepping the whole "moral responsibility" aspect of the question I'd still say no not atheism its self. Rather I'd say promote rationality, the scientific method, and critical thinking. Atheism is an organic end result of these three and by focusing on them we indirectly promote atheism as well as countless other positive things, where as promoting atheism without those things is largely useless.

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
[+] 5 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post