Yes
No
[Show Results]

Is it a waste of time debating creationist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-03-2014, 10:27 PM
Is it a waste of time debating creationist
Are they really worth debating or should you just let creationism die in silence.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] ♪僕は恐怖の一定した状態に住んで、不幸、逃すもう?僕は、それはもう痛いときも気づかないと
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2014, 12:15 AM
RE: Is it a waste of time debating creationist
It's not amoral to let it go unchallenged like many suggest, it's immoral and destructive to society when inflicted on children.
You are the part that rests on the fence in the issue if you do.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
09-03-2014, 12:36 AM
I have mixed feelings about it.

I agree with the idea that agreeing to it, elevates their position which I don't like. It lends some credibility when it shouldn't.

But at the same time those arguments need to be addressed and destroyed and the bigger the name that falls all the better. Imagine if we could have on video Hitchens ripping on Joel Osteen, Dr Dobson and Ken Ham. What fun!

There are people (children) being harmed, so it needs addressing. I think in hindsight Nye could have had a more effective impact if that was thought thru better. I think Ham received a huge benefit, which could have been minimized had it been set up differently. Ie. different location, no money to aig, wait until park officially failed before agreeing, instead this may have rescued it. That sort of thing.

Perhaps more videos, blogs, books etc that destroy their arguments is best, rather than giving them a seat at the table. I think these arguments need to find their way into mainstream conversations. I've often thought about a three year advertising billboard campaign if I ever hit the lottery with simple messages, like many of the memes we post in the laugh at religion thread. Humor works.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
09-03-2014, 01:14 AM
I would say that the results of a debate would be greatly influenced by a number of different variables. Three biggies would be 1. the ability of both sides to have an actual debate without deteriorating into either insults or spontaneous proselytizing; 2. the approach(es) used; 3. whether or not there are multiple people chiming in on either side (this could have an impact on reasoning ability).
09-03-2014, 07:16 AM
It's good but don't do it if you hate it Big Grin
Debates are doing it's job but not in 1 day.
[+] 1 user Likes donotwant's post
09-03-2014, 07:30 AM
(09-03-2014 12:36 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I have mixed feelings about it.

I agree with the idea that agreeing to it, elevates their position which I don't like. It lends some credibility when it shouldn't.

But at the same time those arguments need to be addressed and destroyed and the bigger the name that falls all the better. Imagine if we could have on video Hitchens ripping on Joel Osteen, Dr Dobson and Ken Ham. What fun!

There are people (children) being harmed, so it needs addressing. I think in hindsight Nye could have had a more effective impact if that was thought thru better. I think Ham received a huge benefit, which could have been minimized had it been set up differently. Ie. different location, no money to aig, wait until park officially failed before agreeing, instead this may have rescued it. That sort of thing.

Perhaps more videos, blogs, books etc that destroy their arguments is best, rather than giving them a seat at the table. I think these arguments need to find their way into mainstream conversations. I've often thought about a three year advertising billboard campaign if I ever hit the lottery with simple messages, like many of the memes we post in the laugh at religion thread. Humor works.

I agree. Most people don't know about the actually definition of observation. If they did Ken wouldn't be saying it especially if you give an example of observation of the past. Children are effected by this. Its a shame that parents want their children to become slaves.

I would like to make videos on the subject debunking creationist BS but there is

A. i would get no views

B. i can't get privacy

C. i don't know how to make a video.

09-03-2014, 07:56 AM
What do you mean you can't get privacy?
09-03-2014, 08:35 AM
Until they recognise little things like "facts" and "evidence" it's pretty pointless. There are so many who say the old classic "if we came from monkeys why are there still monkeys" yet when you point out their mistake they still don't accept it.

What I want an answer to from them is if Jesus came from God, why is there still a God?

Hate the belief, love the believer.
09-03-2014, 08:40 AM
(09-03-2014 07:56 AM)donotwant Wrote:  What do you mean you can't get privacy?

I have two siblings and my mom and i dont want them hearing me.

09-03-2014, 08:54 AM
When it comes to pushing their crap into schools, yes, fight them all the way.

But in every day conversations, its probably not worth the effort.

It would be OK if they had at least some understanding of the theory, but they've got so many stupid ideas that you spend half your time explaining what the word "theory" means and then trying to educate them from scratch about at evolution is and how it works.

And that's just the beginning, then you've got to convince them that its factual, and they take you straight back to square one using the same arguments you've just spent the past hour debunking.

And you know how it'll end... They'll say "well, I just have faith" and walk off.

Congratulations, 2 hours of your life wasted... Might as well bang your head against a brick wall.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post