Is it egotistical to think that a God would die for you?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-05-2013, 12:14 PM

People who believe in the barbaric human blood sacrifice of the Triune Jesus/God must believe that the greatest force ever to exist decided that humans, lowly creations whom we are told are infinitely inferior to God, are somehow more important than God’s own life and that he would give it up for believers.

That is like a slave master dying in place of his slave. A rather silly notion to me.

Jesus preached that we should develop a humble character with little self-pride.

How is placing your own life above Triune Jesus/God’s showing a humble character as you think that he would die for you? That is taking self-pride to the maximum.

I think that those with good morals will know that no noble and gracious God would demand the sacrifice of a so called son just to prove it's benevolence.

Yet Christians who think they are moral will believe that God would do such a despicable thing as having his son killed even as scriptures say that God prefers repentance to sacrifice and does not believe in asking or accepting a ransom.

Is thinking that to believe that God would die for you the epitome of an inflated ego?

If not, what could possibly inflate an ego more than that?

Regards
DL
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2013, 04:05 PM
RE: Is it egotistical to think that a God would die for you?
Yes. Each person wants to feel special. A god dieing for you would fulfill that emotional need.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 3 users Like fstratzero's post
01-06-2013, 04:20 PM
(01-06-2013 04:05 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  Yes. Each person wants to feel special. A god dieing for you would fulfill that emotional need.

Yes, it's a desire to feel special because your made to feel like filth without someone dying for you. You're so horrible that you can't even pay for your own sins which we've made up for you to feel guilty about.

Or so I've heard. Big Grin

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 6 users Like Erxomai's post
01-06-2013, 05:00 PM
When they proclaim that a god dies only for people who camouflage crackers as flesh and grape juice as blood and the people who don't are damned, yeah it is egotistical, and silly.

Leviticus does not justify stupidity, but it is more than enough to define corruption of the human mind.

[Image: 24851795.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like Matthew Laramore's post
01-06-2013, 05:07 PM
(01-06-2013 04:20 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(01-06-2013 04:05 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  Yes. Each person wants to feel special. A god dieing for you would fulfill that emotional need.

Yes, it's a desire to feel special because your made to feel like filth without someone dying for you. You're so horrible that you can't even pay for your own sins which we've made up for you to feel guilty about.

Or so I've heard. Big Grin

Don't you think that argument would carry more weight coming from a religious person? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-06-2013, 04:31 AM
I heard that there use to be a god but he gave up all his powers just so he could be human and fall in love with the girl of his dreams.
Did she appreciate it ? Noooo
She dumped him after she realized he was now homeless, with no money and asked to borrow $5 for some smokes..
You know he's gonna have a smoke after giving up infinite power.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
02-06-2013, 07:04 AM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2013 10:32 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(31-05-2013 12:14 PM)Greatest I am Wrote:  Is it egotistical to think that a God would die for you?
I think that those with good morals will know that no noble and gracious God would demand the sacrifice of a so called son just to prove it's benevolence.

No. Just stupid.

1. An ancient pissed-off deity requiring a sacrifice to appease himself is *bound* to a system in Reality, thus no god, and not the creator/master of that reality.
2. The gods of the Old Testament are neither "noble", nor "gracious".
The only interesting thing about it is the history of Homo sapiens, and the very strange notion of "sacrifice" to appease the god(s), and when and how it arose in the first place...agrarian or pre-agrarian ??

http://rosarubicondior.blogspot.com/2012...ifice.html
Heinsohn, Gunnar: "The Rise of Blood Sacrifice and Priest Kingship in Mesopotamia: A Cosmic Decree?" Religion, Vol. 22, 1992
Marcel Mauss : "Sacrifice: Its Nature and Function". U of Chicago Press

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
02-06-2013, 07:08 AM
Some gods required sacrifices...then man recreated the Christian God so that Jebus would die for man instead...much more palatable to the masses.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
02-06-2013, 08:31 AM
Yeah I guess the goats just weren't cutting it anymore for atonement.
[+] 1 user Likes cjs's post
02-06-2013, 08:53 AM
Turn that frown...
[Image: tumblr_lf6btymqnG1qfg3voo1_400.jpg]

...upside down!
[Image: downside+up.jpg]

Spear wound and everything. Big Grin

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 3 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post