Is it egotistical to think that a God would die for you?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-06-2013, 02:04 PM
RE: Is it egotistical to think that a God would die for you?
(03-06-2013 09:44 PM)wisergeek Wrote:  When I was a believer there were many times when I debated that with myself, especially when I was giving prayer for the meal I was eating while a few hundred were dying of starvation while I was eating the food I had. My new self thinks it is a total egotist.

Here are a few quotes on it that I enjoy.

I don’t believe in eternal life if by this we mean the unending existence of an egoic self capable of belief or disbelief. I do not believe that people are saved or condemned by God, and, if God were in the saving and condemning business the criteria God would use for making the distinction would not be based on belief but on behavior. - Rabbi Rami Shapiro

It seems to me that prayer is simply an expression of egoic desire: we pray to get what we want and avoid what we don’t want. Because we don’t always get what we want and yet cannot give up on the idea that we could get what we want we invent the notion that God always answers our prayers but not necessarily by giving us what we want. - Rabbi Rami Shapiro

First I don’t believe that love, even God’s love, necessitates the murder of one’s child. Second, I don’t believe that God has a son. Third, I don’t believe in eternal life if by this we mean the unending existence of an egoic self capable of belief or disbelief. - Rabbi Rami Shapiro

We must question the logic of an all-knowing and all-powerful God who creates faulty humans and then blames them for his own mistakes. - Gene Roddenberry

Jesus dying for me is a guilt trip - Bishop John Shelby Spong

You lost your faith with good cause and I like that you can now think.

Regards
DL
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2013, 04:10 PM
(06-06-2013 02:01 PM)Greatest I am Wrote:  
(03-06-2013 10:56 AM)theophilus Wrote:  No, it is simply an acknowledgement of the fact that we are so sinful we can't do anything to save ourselves. What is egotistical is to believe that we can live a good enough life so that we will deserve to enter heaven.

Hardly scriptural friend. This says that I do not have to sell my soul to Satan and embrace human sacrifice the way you have.

2 Peter 3:9
The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

There are also a lot of quotes that say God prefers repentance to sacrifice and that we are all responsible for our own sins.

You have just cherry picket and embrace what will send you to hell.

Regards
DL

Not worried. There is no evidence of an afterlife, let alone hell. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
06-06-2013, 05:54 PM
(06-06-2013 04:10 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(06-06-2013 02:01 PM)Greatest I am Wrote:  Hardly scriptural friend. This says that I do not have to sell my soul to Satan and embrace human sacrifice the way you have.

2 Peter 3:9
The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

There are also a lot of quotes that say God prefers repentance to sacrifice and that we are all responsible for our own sins.

You have just cherry picket and embrace what will send you to hell.

Regards
DL

Not worried. There is no evidence of an afterlife, let alone hell. Drinking Beverage

I agree.
Like Christianity that uses guilt and fear to motivate, I used it here to try to promote thought.

Regards
DL
08-06-2013, 10:26 AM
A good rant, similar to the topic. You can watch with the volume turned off, but it's just as good with the volume on. Tongue

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 4 users Like Erxomai's post
08-06-2013, 11:03 AM
Could somebody please explain to me how a god can physically die?

Other than with a light puff of logic.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
08-06-2013, 01:15 PM
(08-06-2013 11:03 AM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  Could somebody please explain to me how a god can physically die?

I had a dream. I'm heading up a government think-tank, looking into Love is Void (non-spatial geometry). We're looking for The Equation, a piece of god-like mathematics that the thinking mind sees on the blackboard, decodes, and achieves the ascencion protocol. Knowwhatimsayin'

Come to find out, I'm working alongside another black op, this one trying to decode the temporal relationship of the electron, to come to the same conclusion.

So I achieve success, eliminate the competition, and devise a marketing strategy to induce god hood via teh nets... which involves acquiring Gwyneth Paltrow for a subjective two-year stint of otj viral godhood in the blink of Apple's eye... after which, I obviously had to destroy myself.

It was a dream, alright. Thumbsup

But the dying god motif is very powerful. Think - seasonal.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
08-06-2013, 07:04 PM
(08-06-2013 01:15 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(08-06-2013 11:03 AM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  Could somebody please explain to me how a god can physically die?

I had a dream. I'm heading up a government think-tank, looking into Love is Void (non-spatial geometry). We're looking for The Equation, a piece of god-like mathematics that the thinking mind sees on the blackboard, decodes, and achieves the ascencion protocol. Knowwhatimsayin'

Come to find out, I'm working alongside another black op, this one trying to decode the temporal relationship of the electron, to come to the same conclusion.

So I achieve success, eliminate the competition, and devise a marketing strategy to induce god hood via teh nets... which involves acquiring Gwyneth Paltrow for a subjective two-year stint of otj viral godhood in the blink of Apple's eye... after which, I obviously had to destroy myself.

That didn't make a lick of goddamn sense.

Yet I think I know what you mean anyway. Consider

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post
08-06-2013, 07:18 PM
(08-06-2013 07:04 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  
(08-06-2013 01:15 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I had a dream. I'm heading up a government think-tank, looking into Love is Void (non-spatial geometry). We're looking for The Equation, a piece of god-like mathematics that the thinking mind sees on the blackboard, decodes, and achieves the ascencion protocol. Knowwhatimsayin'

Yet I think I know what you mean anyway. Consider

I think I've hit the point where I have been exposed to enough HoC that he is starting to make sense.... I'm kinda scared.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
09-06-2013, 08:57 AM
(08-06-2013 07:04 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  
(08-06-2013 01:15 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  But the dying god motif is very powerful. Think - seasonal.

How many times has houseofcantor heard that? Tongue I didn't understand it, either.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
09-06-2013, 09:32 AM
I've often wondered how christians deal with the religious idea of reincarnation.
Reincarnation does away with heaven & hell. I think it's a better model to push someone to make better choices in their lives.
If I lead a good life, my next life will be better. There is no repenting, no saying you're sorry. You did what you did and your new next life will be a reflection of that.

If I had to have an imaginary thing that happened after I died, it would be reincarnation.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post