Is it egotistical to think that a God would die for you?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-06-2013, 11:06 AM
RE: Is it egotistical to think that a God would die for you?
(09-06-2013 09:32 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Reincarnation does away with heaven & hell. I think it's a better model to push someone to make better choices in their lives.
If I lead a good life, my next life will be better. There is no repenting, no saying you're sorry. You did what you did and your new next life will be a reflection of that.

Needless to say there's no more evidence for reincarnation than there is for heaven and hell. But the social utility of a belief is independent of its truth. So what kind of society do you get if the belief in reincarnation and karma is widespread?

The problem with the reincarnation variant of reward and punishment is that under this model, people leading horrible lives are simply reaping what they sowed in previous ones. That one-legged, filthy homeless guy on the street who's begging for change? Wonder what he did in a previous life to deserve that. (Or: What did he do in a previous life to earn him such bad karma?)

It leads to the ultimate blame-the-victim mentality.

Another problem with both Christian and karmic ideas of reward and punishment is that they encourage you to do the right thing not because it's right but because you will benefit in the long run. So basically, both have less to do with morality than with enlightened self-interest. It's the difference between (A) help that homeless guy because he's a human being and it's the right thing to do, vs. (B) help that homeless guy because if you do, you'll be rewarded when you die, or in your next life.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like cufflink's post
10-06-2013, 11:22 AM
Haha, I like this question! I have never thought of it in this aspect. God is a selfish asshole who looks in the mirror everyday at himself. I found a picture of him. Does this look like a god who would die for you?
[Image: lambs4.jpg]
11-06-2013, 12:41 PM
(10-06-2013 11:22 AM)GoldenRatio Wrote:  Haha, I like this question! I have never thought of it in this aspect. God is a selfish asshole who looks in the mirror everyday at himself. I found a picture of him. Does this look like a god who would die for you?
[Image: lambs4.jpg]

Quite the addition to Hero of 1000 faces.

Regards
DL