Is it ever wrong to disprove someone's faith?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-11-2013, 02:14 PM
Is it ever wrong to disprove someone's faith?
I was just thinking about this recently. There are so many who have tapped into their inner strength through the placebo of religion. Some of them would have died from addiction, had it not been for a belief in a God. If it takes a delusion to save someone's physical life, more power to them.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-11-2013, 05:06 PM
RE: Is it ever wrong to disprove someone's faith?
(02-11-2013 01:35 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I don't go around trying to deconvert people and really don't understand those who do. They remind me of the fundie evangelists. Proselytizing is proselytizing. We all have to make our own metaphysics for ourselves and it ain't a right, it's a responsibility.

I guess the real meat of my question is this: when I "come out" to my family as athiest, they are going to want to know why. Why would I turn my back on this entity who I "know" has saved them from depression and addiction? I mean, in their eyes I have "seen the evidence" of god my whole life. When they ask this, what is the moral method of response? I don't want to lie. I want to be open about my beliefs. But I honestly believe them losing their belief in god would crush them. So how do I defend myself and my rationality without risking destroying their foundation for the healthy lives they are now living? I have no desire to take their religion from them... It's honestly all they have. On the flip side, I have no desire to hide the truth. I was raised to "speak the truth with conviction." (granted, the "truth" my mother was encouraging me to speak was Jesus.) but I still hold strongly to the idea that I shouldn't be afraid to speak my beliefs... Or lack of belief. I guess I am just trying to process the best method for doing that. My parents and older brother have an almost codependent "relationship with God." they truly believe that all the good they have is from him. It's such a hard question to struggle with. My husband suggested just keeping my mouth shut and "playing along" but I simply cannot claim to believe in god and Jesus anymore. To do so is to undermine my own integrity. I don't even know if these questions have an answer... But if anyone has experienced something similar, advice is greatly appreciated!
02-11-2013, 05:58 PM
(02-11-2013 05:06 PM)SheilaMercon Wrote:  
(02-11-2013 01:35 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I don't go around trying to deconvert people and really don't understand those who do. They remind me of the fundie evangelists. Proselytizing is proselytizing. We all have to make our own metaphysics for ourselves and it ain't a right, it's a responsibility.

I guess the real meat of my question is this: when I "come out" to my family as athiest, they are going to want to know why. Why would I turn my back on this entity who I "know" has saved them from depression and addiction? I mean, in their eyes I have "seen the evidence" of god my whole life. When they ask this, what is the moral method of response? I don't want to lie. I want to be open about my beliefs. But I honestly believe them losing their belief in god would crush them. So how do I defend myself and my rationality without risking destroying their foundation for the healthy lives they are now living? I have no desire to take their religion from them... It's honestly all they have. On the flip side, I have no desire to hide the truth. I was raised to "speak the truth with conviction." (granted, the "truth" my mother was encouraging me to speak was Jesus.) but I still hold strongly to the idea that I shouldn't be afraid to speak my beliefs... Or lack of belief. I guess I am just trying to process the best method for doing that. My parents and older brother have an almost codependent "relationship with God." they truly believe that all the good they have is from him. It's such a hard question to struggle with. My husband suggested just keeping my mouth shut and "playing along" but I simply cannot claim to believe in god and Jesus anymore. To do so is to undermine my own integrity. I don't even know if these questions have an answer... But if anyone has experienced something similar, advice is greatly appreciated!
you have to find out what your idea of god was. All god is a metaphor you developed a personal relation with. How could anyone relate to a literal god? This is a huge mistake and I'm sure it caused a great conflict when you began having doubts. Maybe tell them that the meaning of god has changed for you if in fact it has.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
02-11-2013, 08:13 PM
(02-11-2013 05:06 PM)SheilaMercon Wrote:  I guess the real meat of my question is this: when I "come out" to my family as athiest, they are going to want to know why.

I never explicitly rejected religion. What I rejected was some untenable bullshit promise of a postmortem preservation of identity. Ain't happening. ... What's left to discuss?

Breathing - it's more art than science.