Is it extreme parenting?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-07-2014, 06:41 PM
Is it extreme parenting?
Okay so I know this is Dr. Phil and its just silly television but I wanted to ask a question.

So this episode is about Extreme Parenting. For example the first mom on the show is incredibly wealthy, and uses indulgence to reward good behavior in her children (their own planes, million dollar parties, etc)

The next family is EXTREME military and controlled life for discipline (strict diets,military discipline, pushups when they lose card games to mimic the pain of real life, no reading magical books, only g rated movies etc)

The next extreme family.....lets their son wear dresses and play with the toys he wants to play with......

I just dont understand how that even fits in the same category? How is letting a little boy be himself considered extreme? I guess this just really pissed me off.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
30-07-2014, 06:45 PM
RE: Is it extreme parenting?
It's 'Murica (I haven't watched it yet, going off what you said, but I will watch it because I usually like Dr Phil), letting a fruit be a fruit is considered extreme.

[Image: oscar.png]
30-07-2014, 06:49 PM
(30-07-2014 06:45 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  It's 'Murica (I haven't watched it yet, going off what you said, but I will watch it because I usually like Dr Phil), letting a fruit be a fruit is considered extreme.

Just wait till you see the little boy Muffs. He is stinkin adorable!
30-07-2014, 07:34 PM
I think it was to draw a contrast between a good parent example and poor ones.

I loved the third parent's message.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
30-07-2014, 08:15 PM (This post was last modified: 30-07-2014 08:28 PM by earmuffs.)
(30-07-2014 06:49 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(30-07-2014 06:45 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  It's 'Murica (I haven't watched it yet, going off what you said, but I will watch it because I usually like Dr Phil), letting a fruit be a fruit is considered extreme.

Just wait till you see the little boy Muffs. He is stinkin adorable!

Oh I doubt that Hob's.
Children are vile little shits whom were put on this Earth by God with the sole intent of pissing me off at the grocery store.

edit: Ok, I watched the third bit about the fruitcake.
That was interesting to watch just for the way Dr Phil comes across. He seems very awkward about it. You sorta get the impression that he doesn't think it's a good idea to encourage it (or at the very least, to not discourage it) BUT because of what he's said on the show previously he doesn't want to come across as a hypocrite.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
31-07-2014, 08:18 AM
I imagine it's focusing on the dress part (too lazy to watch). It's probably considered extreme simply because most people don't do it.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
31-07-2014, 08:48 AM

Yeah, Dr. Phil is to psychiatry as Gordon Ramsay is to cooking. It's entertaining to watch, but if you have to be that much of a douche bag to get things done, you're not doing it right.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
31-07-2014, 08:57 AM
(31-07-2014 08:48 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  

Yeah, Dr. Phil is to psychiatry as Gordon Ramsay is to cooking. It's entertaining to watch, but if you have to be that much of a douche bag to get things done, you're not doing it right.

But if you're going to be on tv you have to be a caricature.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
31-07-2014, 08:57 AM
(31-07-2014 08:48 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  

You've never worked in a high end kitchen before have you? Gordon Ramsay is a world class Michelin rated chef. "Dr." Phil is a pop psychologist with no actual license. Ramsay just starts screaming when his high standards are not met. Or at least that is how it was the first time he was ever on TV now it is mostly an act he puts on because it makes for entertaining television.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
31-07-2014, 09:02 AM
(30-07-2014 08:15 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(30-07-2014 06:49 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Just wait till you see the little boy Muffs. He is stinkin adorable!

Oh I doubt that Hob's.
Children are vile little shits whom were put on this Earth by God with the sole intent of pissing me off at the grocery store.

edit: Ok, I watched the third bit about the fruitcake.
That was interesting to watch just for the way Dr Phil comes across. He seems very awkward about it. You sorta get the impression that he doesn't think it's a good idea to encourage it (or at the very least, to not discourage it) BUT because of what he's said on the show previously he doesn't want to come across as a hypocrite.

He did seemly slightly awkward but I'm glad he took the position he did.