Is it extreme parenting?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-07-2014, 09:27 AM
RE: Is it extreme parenting?
(31-07-2014 08:57 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(31-07-2014 08:48 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Yeah, Dr. Phil is to psychiatry as Gordon Ramsay is to cooking. It's entertaining to watch, but if you have to be that much of a douche bag to get things done, you're not doing it right.

You've never worked in a high end kitchen before have you? Gordon Ramsay is a world class Michelin rated chef. "Dr." Phil is a pop psychologist with no actual license. Ramsay just starts screaming when his high standards are not met. Or at least that is how it was the first time he was ever on TV now it is mostly an act he puts on because it makes for entertaining television.

Nope, just burger king. But I've seen other high end chef commentary on his behavior. It is entertaining if nothing else.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-07-2014, 09:31 AM
(31-07-2014 09:27 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(31-07-2014 08:57 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  You've never worked in a high end kitchen before have you? Gordon Ramsay is a world class Michelin rated chef. "Dr." Phil is a pop psychologist with no actual license. Ramsay just starts screaming when his high standards are not met. Or at least that is how it was the first time he was ever on TV now it is mostly an act he puts on because it makes for entertaining television.

Nope, just burger king. But I've seen other high end chef commentary on his behavior. It is entertaining if nothing else.

If you watch the Ramseys shows from overseas you'll see that those screaming fits are really for his american market, because hes not nearly that loud on his overseas shows.

We just need that stupid shit to be entertained here. Tongue
31-07-2014, 09:32 AM
(31-07-2014 09:27 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(31-07-2014 08:57 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  You've never worked in a high end kitchen before have you? Gordon Ramsay is a world class Michelin rated chef. "Dr." Phil is a pop psychologist with no actual license. Ramsay just starts screaming when his high standards are not met. Or at least that is how it was the first time he was ever on TV now it is mostly an act he puts on because it makes for entertaining television.

He does not act a buffoon in his own kitchens, in fact his actual staff love him. Most have been with him for 20+ years. But a show shot in one of his kitchens where everything moves like clockwork and he is not on the edge of a nervous breakdown would be kind of boring.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
31-07-2014, 12:35 PM
(31-07-2014 09:32 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(31-07-2014 09:27 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Nope, just burger king. But I've seen other high end chef commentary on his behavior. It is entertaining if nothing else.

He does not act a buffoon in his own kitchens, in fact his actual staff love him. Most have been with him for 20+ years. But a show shot in one of his kitchens where everything moves like clockwork and he is not on the edge of a nervous breakdown would be kind of boring.

Doesn't surprise me one bit. I suppose that's one reason I've never liked him, it's just too much of an act.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
31-07-2014, 01:14 PM
(31-07-2014 12:35 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(31-07-2014 09:32 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  He does not act a buffoon in his own kitchens, in fact his actual staff love him. Most have been with him for 20+ years. But a show shot in one of his kitchens where everything moves like clockwork and he is not on the edge of a nervous breakdown would be kind of boring.

Doesn't surprise me one bit. I suppose that's one reason I've never liked him, it's just too much of an act.

I will completely grant you his American shows suck, it is fake outrage because that is the character he now has to play. His original appearance was in a documentary showing him being the chef de cuisine at a state dinner in france. He was brought in as a rising star in the food scene in london but was not famous outside that, and this was a make or break moment for his career. The staff he was given were borderline incompetent and it was his reputation that was going to be trashed if this dinner failed. So he went into hurricane Ramsay mode and managed to put out a 3 star dinner despite a million behind the scenes issues. That is what launched his television career. On his british programs he was often portrayed as a savvy businessman/chef with a temper, not the cartoon version you see on say Hell's Kitchen. Oh course in typical American fashion we imported the superior british show and promptly dumbed it the fuck down and replaced a nuanced and passionate man with the tasmanian devil of cussing. Is Ramsay responsible for this? Yeah he is agreeing to do the shows and play the part, but underneath the show he is still one of the absolute best in the world at what he does.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
31-07-2014, 10:45 PM
(30-07-2014 06:41 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Okay so I know this is Dr. Phil and its just silly television but I wanted to ask a question.

So this episode is about Extreme Parenting. For example the first mom on the show is incredibly wealthy, and uses indulgence to reward good behavior in her children (their own planes, million dollar parties, etc)

The next family is EXTREME military and controlled life for discipline (strict diets,military discipline, pushups when they lose card games to mimic the pain of real life, no reading magical books, only g rated movies etc)

The next extreme family.....lets their son wear dresses and play with the toys he wants to play with......

I just dont understand how that even fits in the same category? How is letting a little boy be himself considered extreme? I guess this just really pissed me off.

you got a point.

1. Striding and swaggering rootlessness without end. The precious flow of life.
2. one should fear sweet a blood stained flower.
[+] 1 user Likes kunoxian drive's post
01-08-2014, 12:06 AM
So, since this thread is officially about Ramsay now. I have to say, Kitchen nightmares was an awesome show. Wish it would continue (with Gordon as the star). Only watched a bit of Hell's Kitchen. More than Gordon's reactions, I am more surprised at the terrible mistakes that the chefs make. I mean serving raw meat and not cooking things properly??? I understand the pressure is on, but professional work is professional work!

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
01-08-2014, 01:47 AM
(01-08-2014 12:06 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  So, since this thread is officially about Ramsay now. I have to say, Kitchen nightmares was an awesome show. Wish it would continue (with Gordon as the star). Only watched a bit of Hell's Kitchen. More than Gordon's reactions, I am more surprised at the terrible mistakes that the chefs make. I mean serving raw meat and not cooking things properly??? I understand the pressure is on, but professional work is professional work!

The original British version of that show is much better IMO, it almost seems like the American one is a bit too much to be true. The Indian restaurant in the first episode of the american run, for instance, should never have passed a health inspection if it was in the condition the show implied it was. If you enjoy Ramsay I have a show you would love. It's called "The F Word" and it is a very different take on Gordon Ramsey as he is shown at his home and at an experimental restaurant he is running. The joke being the F stands for Food not Fuck.

01-08-2014, 04:43 AM
(01-08-2014 01:47 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(01-08-2014 12:06 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  So, since this thread is officially about Ramsay now. I have to say, Kitchen nightmares was an awesome show. Wish it would continue (with Gordon as the star). Only watched a bit of Hell's Kitchen. More than Gordon's reactions, I am more surprised at the terrible mistakes that the chefs make. I mean serving raw meat and not cooking things properly??? I understand the pressure is on, but professional work is professional work!

The original British version of that show is much better IMO, it almost seems like the American one is a bit too much to be true. The Indian restaurant in the first episode of the american run, for instance, should never have passed a health inspection if it was in the condition the show implied it was. If you enjoy Ramsay I have a show you would love. It's called "The F Word" and it is a very different take on Gordon Ramsey as he is shown at his home and at an experimental restaurant he is running. The joke being the F stands for Food not Fuck.

Vote: Lynch Ramsay

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
01-08-2014, 05:47 AM
Ramsey's US shows spoil my appetite - not what I want from a food show. Tongue

DR. Phil is a pompous ass with an occasional spark of funny.

There are better things to watch for sure.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post