Is it immoral to allow the elderly to live?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-05-2012, 04:03 PM (This post was last modified: 02-05-2012 07:00 PM by mysticjbyrd.)
Is it immoral to allow the elderly to live?
The planet currently has a population of over 7 billion people, but can only comfortably sustain roughly 2 billion people. With each passing day our planet runs out of resources many non-renewable that can never be attained again. Every day we live far above the sustainable level is a day we lose precious resources, thus lowering the maximum number of people we could sustain on the planet. This in turn lowers the standard of living for each person on the planet.

One solution is to limit the number of children people are allowed to have.
The other solution is to euthanize the elderly and dysfunctional within each society.

The elderly have already live a full life, and the dysfunctional will never be able to, so is it really fair for these people to waste greedily waste our resources? After living a fruitful life, they shouldn't have the right to squander precious resources to simply exist as non-productive members of society. Even today, children are starving because of their geriatric greed won't allow them to simply move on.

If you look at it purely from the point of view of the good of the majority, then wouldn't euthanasia at around 60-70 be the moral thing to do?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-05-2012, 04:32 PM
RE: Is it immoral to allow old people live?
I would think it makes more sense to find a way to sustain more people. I'd rather outlaw farming, fossil fuels, deforestation, etc than euthanize and limit children. IMO it crosses the line. If we can't find a way to support more people then perhaps none of us should live here.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 2 users Like germanyt's post
02-05-2012, 04:55 PM
Quite right - old people won't consume that much more in their lives. The solution is clearly to eat more babies. They'll consume acres in their life if they aren't stopped!
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
02-05-2012, 05:03 PM
Are you for real?
I would say that is a slippery slope but that would imply the action not as horrible as it is. Killing people who reach a certain age is an idea that is way past the slipping stage.

This is murder, not euthanasia.

mysticjbyrd, I'm renaming you Logan's Run (which btw was filmed in Dallas)

Your beliefs do not make you a better person, your behavior does.
[+] 1 user Likes Debzilla's post
02-05-2012, 05:31 PM (This post was last modified: 02-05-2012 05:52 PM by mysticjbyrd.)
(02-05-2012 04:55 PM)Hafnof Wrote:  Quite right - old people won't consume that much more in their lives. The solution is clearly to eat more babies. They'll consume acres in their life if they aren't stopped!
We have to look past the revered wise elderly person that we generally stereotype them as and think about the future of the species. That time has passed, they had their time, and now they need to move aside.

Untrue. Life expectancy is on average about 80, yet most people retire by about 60. That means a quarter of their life, they aren't really producing anything, just consuming resources. Also, they require far more care than the average person with each passing year. Specialized care & equipment, nurses, doctors, medicine, retirement facilities, etc, etc...

Many consume as many resources after they retire as they did when they were productive members of society.
02-05-2012, 05:52 PM
(02-05-2012 04:03 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  The planet currently has a population of over 7 billion people, but can only comfortably sustain roughly 2 billion people. With each passing day our planet runs out of resources many non-renewable that can never be attained again. Every day we live far above the sustainable level is a day we lose precious resources, thus lowering the maximum number of people we could sustain on the planet. This in turn lowers the standard of living for each person on the planet.

The other solution is to euthanize the elderly and dysfunctional within each society.

The elderly have already live a full life, and the dysfunctional will never be able to, so is it really fair for these people to waste greedily waste our resources? After living a fruitful life, they shouldn't have the right to squander precious resources to simply exist as non-productive members of society. Even today, children are starving because of their geriatric greed won't allow them to simply move on.

Wouldn't euthanasia at around 70-75 be the moral thing to do?
Well lets start with your family members 70 and over; as for the dysfunctional, I suggest you head the queue
[+] 4 users Like Mr Woof's post
02-05-2012, 06:05 PM
(02-05-2012 05:31 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  
(02-05-2012 04:55 PM)Hafnof Wrote:  Quite right - old people won't consume that much more in their lives. The solution is clearly to eat more babies. They'll consume acres in their life if they aren't stopped!
We have to look past the revered wise elderly person that we generally stereotype them as and think about the future of the species. That time has passed, they had their time, and now they need to move aside.

Untrue. Life expectancy is on average about 80, yet most people retire by about 60. That means a quarter of their life, they aren't really producing anything, just consuming resources. Also, they require far more care than the average person with each passing year. Specialized care & equipment, nurses, doctors, medicine, retirement facilities, etc, etc...

Many consume as many resources after they retire as they did when they were productive members of society.
You have got to be trolling. Shocking HEIL MYSTIC!

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
02-05-2012, 06:29 PM
(02-05-2012 05:52 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(02-05-2012 04:03 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  The planet currently has a population of over 7 billion people, but can only comfortably sustain roughly 2 billion people. With each passing day our planet runs out of resources many non-renewable that can never be attained again. Every day we live far above the sustainable level is a day we lose precious resources, thus lowering the maximum number of people we could sustain on the planet. This in turn lowers the standard of living for each person on the planet.

Wouldn't euthanasia at around 70-75 be the moral thing to do?
Well lets start with your family members 70 and over; as for the dysfunctional, I suggest you head the queue
I would be fine with that if the law was enacted.
I can look past my own selfish desires, and see that its for the better.
02-05-2012, 06:32 PM
(02-05-2012 06:29 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  
(02-05-2012 05:52 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Well lets start with your family members 70 and over; as for the dysfunctional, I suggest you head the queue
I would be fine with that if the law was enacted.
I can look past my own selfish desires, and see that its for the better.
Well, at first I was hesitant but now that I know you're okay with it, why not?

-Mark Twain
02-05-2012, 06:33 PM
(02-05-2012 06:05 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(02-05-2012 05:31 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  We have to look past the revered wise elderly person that we generally stereotype them as and think about the future of the species. That time has passed, they had their time, and now they need to move aside.

You have got to be trolling. Shocking HEIL MYSTIC!
I had a major run in with Mjb some time back and as a 70 y/o don't want to get sucked in again.

It is patently evil to want to arbitrarily bump off the aged, who have paid taxes all their lives, may well have endured early hardships , fought in wars, been social benefactors etc etc and be functioning well, even working in their 70s/80s.

Let the fascist troll spread his/her hatred and fatuous reasoning, I was foolish to respond again and in future will endeavour to avoid this misguided persons threads. Censored
[+] 2 users Like Mr Woof's post