Is it immoral to allow the elderly to live?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2012, 03:19 AM
RE: Is it immoral to allow the elderly to live?
Wow, people in this thread are acting similar to the judgmental religious people when they meet an atheist.

The earth is not going to grow in size to accommodate the ever increasing population. This accumulation wont happen in our lifetime but it sounds inevitable if the trend never changes.

Ghost, how is his situation like yours? Yours are black and white situations like either you're a Democrat or Republican. His question is like situations of famine. What are your solutions to such turmoils?

My answer would be what someone said before, colonize a different planet since that may be a possibility in the era where this situation might occur. If not than the only solution that will appeal to people is to just continue living, hoping that we will find some scientific solution in areas like consumption efficiency. Yeah, we will suffer, but people can live with that as opposed to letting someone die. If worse comes to worst, strict population control is a must.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2012, 05:14 AM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2012 07:44 AM by jackashflash.)
Why would you need or wait to instigate population controls til the worst possible scenario arose? It hardly seems fair to allow some people to pump out a babies every 9 months, whilst the world is starving. Those people who refuse to stop having kids are clearly endangering the lives and violating the rights of every single person alive. In my opinion that is simply outrageous type of behavior in that scenario.
[+] 1 user Likes jackashflash's post
06-05-2012, 05:34 AM
Is it immoral to allow the elderly to live?

Well... if they want to live with me... sure. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
06-05-2012, 06:35 AM
Hey, Dx.

Uhhh, what?

Hey, Jack.

What and the who and the what now?

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 1 user Likes Ghost's post
06-05-2012, 05:02 PM
Ghost,

What I mean is that, even though I understand and agree with you that the OP's question should be worded differently (which your revision sounds a less obscene), your situations are like either you can have it all or nothing at all (not all of your scenarios of course). I like that you changed "kill the elderly" to euthanasia.

By asking "Ban all religious practice OR live in a theocracy," you are giving people two extremes to decide by. The original question isn't asking if we should start killing everyone or allow the world to overgrow uncontrollably. It's more like "ban Christianity or live in a theocracy." However, I am beginning to see how his question is fairly similar.
06-05-2012, 08:06 PM
Hey, Dx.

Ah. It was a comment on the way Jack framed the question, more than it was a critique of the OP.

In terms of the comment, you're dead on. Jack's question was framed as the proposition vs disaster. I gave other examples of that kind of frame to illustrate.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
06-05-2012, 10:15 PM
(06-05-2012 05:02 PM)dxnguyen89 Wrote:  The original question isn't asking if we should start killing everyone or allow the world to overgrow uncontrollably.

Yeah it is. Which I interpreted as is it moral to kill the old, which is a definite yes in evolutionary terms. I like that definite kind of stuff, cuts past all the wishy-washy talk. When I frame the question like thus, I ask myself, do I wanna kill some old fucks? Well, other than myself, not so much...

See what I did there? I'm willing to bet peeps like the OP - yeah, he's a type - never ask themselves, do I wanna start killing peeps? That type wants to talk others into doing the dirty work.

The thought of one or two children per couple, that sounds rational to me. The thought of creeps like the OP talking about "allowing others to live," that ain't rational. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
07-05-2012, 02:13 AM
(06-05-2012 10:15 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(06-05-2012 05:02 PM)dxnguyen89 Wrote:  The original question isn't asking if we should start killing everyone or allow the world to overgrow uncontrollably.

Yeah it is. Which I interpreted as is it moral to kill the old, which is a definite yes in evolutionary terms. I like that definite kind of stuff, cuts past all the wishy-washy talk. When I frame the question like thus, I ask myself, do I wanna kill some old fucks? Well, other than myself, not so much...

See what I did there? I'm willing to bet peeps like the OP - yeah, he's a type - never ask themselves, do I wanna start killing peeps? That type wants to talk others into doing the dirty work.

The thought of one or two children per couple, that sounds rational to me. The thought of creeps like the OP talking about "allowing others to live," that ain't rational. Tongue
An "old fuck" friend of mine died this morning aged 81, in perhaps regressive evolutionary mode, if evolution is the progressive all and everything.

He was a very amiable and creative man in his latter years, succumbing to cancer of the liver; he lost both his wife an a daughter from cancer, which refutes O.P. notion that all old people sort of deserve to be clinically terminated because for some bizarre reason they have all had it so good.................
07-05-2012, 03:14 AM
(06-05-2012 10:15 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
Yeah it is. Which I interpreted as is it moral to kill the old, which is a definite yes in evolutionary terms.
When I said "everyone" I literally mean everyone not just the elderly.
07-05-2012, 06:37 AM
(07-05-2012 03:14 AM)dxnguyen89 Wrote:  
(06-05-2012 10:15 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Yeah it is. Which I interpreted as is it moral to kill the old, which is a definite yes in evolutionary terms.
When I said "everyone" I literally mean everyone not just the elderly.

Everyone is older than someone. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user