Is it just a case of.....???

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-06-2012, 12:14 AM
RE: Is it just a case of.....???
Heart I love TED talks.

This scientist was very cool! I like the fact that she physically brought out a brain to show people that it is an actual thing that is working inside us. So many people are very quick to dismiss the brain as some odd organ, not really connected to us. And I liked how she fully explained the actual working parts of the brain... she really gave it definition and dimension. What she talked about; being in a place like nirvana -it's kind of the way I perceive things a great deal of the time. Kind of makes me wonder if my left brain isn't always open for business, you know? I wonder if I should be worried or just consider myself lucky?

There are times when I think I operate from the right side way too much... so much that I don't get a lot of things done that I'm probably supposed to. However, because I'm in my right brain, it doesn't matter to me all that much anyway. In some spastic moment of reality, I got all my bills placed on automatic payment; used to be a real issue for me. I also have several alarms set for certain things like getting ready to go to work... and even things at work. I've always had to do this. Deadlines mean very little to me, but they seem to mean a lot to others - I have a lot of alarms. I hate clocks.

I'm well aware this place where my creativity is kept - I've never had to try or anything - I swim in it. There are times when I get lost... actually lose time. I can do some thing for hours on end and not even notice and then drift back from an intense focus. I think it's only been forty five minutes or an hour... often turns out to be four or five hours. I'm never bored just sitting and looking at the world - just intently examining everything around me - I don't have to do anything at all to be completely entertained. I love it, but I'm probably a pain in the ass to hang out with... or maybe just boring as hell.

I don't see it as a super emotional thing the way this scientist does or maybe I'm just too familiar with it, but she is right - it is pretty amazing. I guess I would be really afraid to have some head trauma or stroke on my right side. My world would be a deserted place for sure, but all my shit would be organized and I'd always be on time. I bet all my records and CDs would even be in alphabetical order, or some such horror. Shit, I'm thinking I would just have to kill myself. I wouldn't know who I am at all! I can see how a glimpse into that total left brain world would be damn emotional for me. Makes me see how deeply identity is entwined with the physical brain.

Way scary and way cool. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like kim's post
10-06-2012, 04:54 AM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2012 05:03 AM by bemore.)
This is another interesting video on the brain...... Its longer than the TED talk (its almost 50 mins) thought it would be relevant to share given the subject and philosphy. (specifically from 9:30 onwards)

EDIT: Obv im not a neuroscientist..... there are parts of the video i am enjoying researching but obv if there are any parts people disagree with (in the vid) lets disuss it

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
10-06-2012, 09:33 AM
[Image: brains8.jpg]

Consider

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
11-06-2012, 05:33 PM
(07-06-2012 04:55 PM)morondog Wrote:  What's more believable:

Jacking into the cosmic consciousness

or

Brain throwing up weird artifacts?

Why they gotta be different, programmer? void *JackIntoCosmicConsciousness(void *me) { return me->perception[rand()]; } Big Grin

(09-06-2012 08:39 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(09-06-2012 08:32 PM)Dom Wrote:  Reminds me of my hippie days and LSD.

Yeah, Leary really pushed the boundaries, as to whether he was simply altering brain chemicals or something more profound, I do not know Huh

Does it really matter, Woof? Consider

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
12-06-2012, 05:20 PM
Probably not G.M, we are where we find ourselves and cannot change much of this.

On the basis of generalized experience where we find ourselves doesn't look too promising and to think and extrapolate too much may well negate some of the very limited goodness we manage to percieve. Unsure
12-06-2012, 10:12 PM
(12-06-2012 05:20 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Probably not G.M, we are where we find ourselves and cannot change much of this.

On the basis of generalized experience where we find ourselves doesn't look too promising and to think and extrapolate too much may well negate some of the very limited goodness we manage to percieve. Unsure

That's not the lesson, Woofmeister. ... It's more like the opposite. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.