Is it just me?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-05-2016, 02:30 PM
Is it just me?
Well, it is a bit of a misleading title, everyone here is probably familiar with what I am talking about. How do people believe that they are here to do the bidding of an all powerful deity, and if they do when they die there will be great rewards? I desperately want to believe something like that, once we die if we are good we go up, if we have not been nice, down below it is. Since I just cannot bring myself to believe that, I look at what I think happens. Which is nothing, once you die you no longer exist. Isn't that terrifying? I get paralyzed with fear over the thought of my mortality. How do you all cope?
Thank you!
Kiat
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-05-2016, 02:36 PM
RE: Is it just me?
I dance.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 8 users Like GirlyMan's post
29-05-2016, 02:39 PM (This post was last modified: 29-05-2016 02:51 PM by Anjele.)
For me it would be more terrifying to think that there is someone/thing sitting in judgement and that what comes after death is eternal. Even endless (supposed) good sounds exhausting.

You live your life now. You live by your own moral and ethical code. You do the best you can in the time you have.

I have to say that when I was diagnosed with breast cancer the whole god and what happens after I die didn't even come into play. I couldn't even be scared back into it. I certainly wasn't going to pray to the god that gave me cancer to heal me. edit to add - per the teachings

It takes time to let go of things long-believed.

Just keep asking questions.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
29-05-2016, 02:39 PM
I won't be aware that I'm dead.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
29-05-2016, 02:46 PM
The "go to" atheist response seems to be something like, "I wasn't alive before I was born, so I'm sure it won't bother me too much when I'm dead." I don't fit in with that way of thought and I find the thought of being dead pretty unsettling. Not to say that I think about it often..or really ever worry about it.

How I deal....I dunno just live life. Do what you want. There is no reason to think about death as it will come eventually. Sure it's scary, but dreading it sure as hell doesn't make it come any slower.

I started this thread a long time ago about this. You might be interested.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ath--35064

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
29-05-2016, 02:55 PM
(29-05-2016 02:30 PM)Kiatlyn0611 Wrote:  I get paralyzed with fear over the thought of my mortality. How do you all cope?

What is there to be afraid of? There will be no "you" to experience anything. As Anjele said, I'd be more scared if I thought there was something since I don't think I could face an eternity of anything no matter what it was.

The thought of dying is unsettling since that may not be pleasant and I'd like to put it off if I can but once it happens it's over with. In the end it is inevitable so there's no sense wasting much time being afraid of it now; that just takes away from enjoying life while you have it.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
29-05-2016, 03:12 PM
Instinct of self preservation meets instinct of procreation.

While in your reproductive age, you are supposed to be terrified of death. You must stay alive at all cost so you can care for offspring.

Later in life this fear starts shrinking. If all goes well, you'll live long enough to welcome death.

Meanwhile, it's just natural to be afraid of death.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
29-05-2016, 03:13 PM
(29-05-2016 02:36 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I dance.

The de-militarized zone in Korea was funny. Laugh out load
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
29-05-2016, 05:05 PM
I understand and agree with what you are saying, why worry over the inevitable? I wish I was able to turn it on and off, but I cannot. I will be doing some silly thing, like washing dishes, and it comes over me like a wave. Man, it is just sheer terror after that. My fight or flight kicks in, and here I am like some dummy trying to run away from my own thoughts. Flee!!!! Flee!!!If that doesn't make someone feel in need of psychiatric help....I have tried Xanax, and other RX's- it might dull it for a while, it is always nagging, it just seems to peak at times. It certainly doesn't help that as we all age we see friends die, become more aware of the world and the horrors it contains (as a child the worst thing I was aware of was hungry children in Africa, now, jeez...). I was raised Christian, attended Christian school until 8th grade. I was ruled by god. As I got older it started to make less and less sense, and I became a very hopeful agnostic. After a while even that couldn't be justified in my head. I think I expected something from the beyond when my dad died, as absolutely ridiculous as that must sound.

I feel incredibly stupid for having this fear. It's not like I am able to change it, and I am grateful to have all of you to talk with as I either go batshit crazy from this or finally hit that acceptance stage. Big Grin

I wish more people cared about the earth as much as they care about who they believe created it
29-05-2016, 06:34 PM
It isn't just you. My wife suffers the same dread and has since childhood.

As I'm sure you know, there is no simple answer. It's actually a whole host of psychological factors that are built into us and a bunch that are learned. Have you considered therapy? It might help with a rough transition from your former religious life.

I can't claim to understand it well myself. To me life is about the journey, not the final destination.

In the end it may turn out to be a moot point. We may well discover immorality in the next decade or so. And won't that mess with the world's religions?

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.