Is it just me?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-05-2016, 07:03 PM
RE: Is it just me?
(29-05-2016 03:13 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(29-05-2016 02:36 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I dance.

The de-militarized zone in Korea was funny. Laugh out load

I think I saw Jesus in the front row in Paris. Big Grin

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-05-2016, 07:20 PM
(29-05-2016 07:03 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(29-05-2016 03:13 PM)pablo Wrote:  The de-militarized zone in Korea was funny. Laugh out load

I think I saw Jesus in the front row in Paris. Big Grin
Now I gotta go look again. Dodgy

ETA: Guy in the white shirt?
29-05-2016, 07:35 PM
(29-05-2016 07:20 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(29-05-2016 07:03 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I think I saw Jesus in the front row in Paris. Big Grin
Now I gotta go look again. Dodgy

ETA: Guy in the white shirt?

That's him. It might also be Trainwreck but I don't see how he could find the means to go to Paris.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
29-05-2016, 07:37 PM
(29-05-2016 06:34 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  We may well discover immorality in the next decade or so. And won't that mess with the world's religions?

I'm pretty sure we discovered that a long time ago.

[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
29-05-2016, 07:40 PM
(29-05-2016 05:05 PM)Kiatlyn0611 Wrote:  I feel incredibly stupid for having this fear. It's not like I am able to change it,

There was a point in time where I stopped dreading it and started to embrace it instead.

29-05-2016, 08:15 PM
(29-05-2016 05:05 PM)Kiatlyn0611 Wrote:  I understand and agree with what you are saying, why worry over the inevitable? I wish I was able to turn it on and off, but I cannot. I will be doing some silly thing, like washing dishes, and it comes over me like a wave. Man, it is just sheer terror after that. My fight or flight kicks in, and here I am like some dummy trying to run away from my own thoughts. Flee!!!! Flee!!!If that doesn't make someone feel in need of psychiatric help....I have tried Xanax, and other RX's- it might dull it for a while, it is always nagging, it just seems to peak at times. It certainly doesn't help that as we all age we see friends die, become more aware of the world and the horrors it contains (as a child the worst thing I was aware of was hungry children in Africa, now, jeez...). I was raised Christian, attended Christian school until 8th grade. I was ruled by god. As I got older it started to make less and less sense, and I became a very hopeful agnostic. After a while even that couldn't be justified in my head. I think I expected something from the beyond when my dad died, as absolutely ridiculous as that must sound.

I feel incredibly stupid for having this fear. It's not like I am able to change it, and I am grateful to have all of you to talk with as I either go batshit crazy from this or finally hit that acceptance stage. Big Grin

Oddly enough, I remember having similar anxiety when I was a believer and tried to think about what an eternal afterlife would be like. I'd lie awake at night just unable to deal with the idea that after I died the end would never actually happen but everything (whatever "everything" even meant at that point) would just go on forever. The only way I was able to get over that, apart from prayer and a further retreat into religion, was to do the best I could to distract myself by living life and keeping busy. I was quite young at the time, probably still in middle or high school, so I had plenty of other things to think about.

Now, though, I guess I would reiterate what unfogged and Paleophyte are saying. Death is inevitable, so it's not productive to spend time worrying about it. As someone with anxiety issues, I know how totally not helpful it is to just act like worries/fears can be simply ignored. I'm just hoping to add to the host of voices here encouraging you to listen to your rational mind rather than your irrational thoughts that are dragging you down. Maybe if there's enough of us, we can help to drown out those fears. Hug
[+] 2 users Like debna27's post
30-05-2016, 05:58 AM
Thank you all so much for your responses. I think that the main thing I need to work on is not being such a control freak. Death is something well beyond my control, but how I handle it isn't. I am very happy to have found TTA, it really provides me a great outlet for this. I have been going through other posts and feel not so alone anymore, it's a huge relief to read someone else's post and be like "yeah, me too". I don't feel that way in real life, everyone in our area is very religious, the type of people that are very nice until they ask what church you attend and you say you don't. The utter shock that we choose to not place our children in Sunday school, appalling!! Then they invite you to their church, you decline, it's really uncomfortable. I do not force my beliefs, or lack of, on others, I would appreciate the same courtesy from them! No means no!!
30-05-2016, 06:08 AM
(29-05-2016 02:30 PM)Kiatlyn0611 Wrote:  Since I just cannot bring myself to believe that, I look at what I think happens. Which is nothing, once you die you no longer exist. Isn't that terrifying? I get paralyzed with fear over the thought of my mortality. How do you all cope?
I don't. I'm in the same boat as you. Sad

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
30-05-2016, 06:58 AM
I guess the innate fear that a lot of people have about their own mortality is what's responsible for maintaining a lot of religious belief—an afterlife, or an existence in some beautiful heaven where you meet old friends and family... and your childhood pets too? Man, I'll be able to start my own zoo LOL.

[Image: funny-pictures-auto-comics-heaven-384955.jpeg]

Big Grin

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
30-05-2016, 10:44 AM
I don't. I'm in the same boat as you. Sad
[/quote]

I'm curious Vosur, was there a point where it just hit you, or were you always aware? It was a very gradual progression for me, to get to the point of realizing my mortality, and that there will not be a "tomorrow" one day.