Is it just me?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-05-2016, 01:09 PM
RE: Is it just me?
(30-05-2016 10:44 AM)Kiatlyn0611 Wrote:  I'm curious Vosur, was there a point where it just hit you, or were you always aware? It was a very gradual progression for me, to get to the point of realizing my mortality, and that there will not be a "tomorrow" one day.
It was gradual for me as well. After I deconverted from Christianity, it took some time until the implications of that philosophical change manifested in my mind. The thought that there is not going to be an afterlife, that there will be no happy ending to this journey, that I will be swallowed whole by darkness one day, never to awake... it terrifies me like nothing else ever could. The knowledge that there will come a point when I will lose my consciousness forever makes me want to scream and cry at the same time. I want to fight and struggle against it even though I know that it is inevitable. I feel so hopeless and helpless in the face of the void. Sadcryface

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-05-2016, 02:33 PM
(30-05-2016 01:09 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(30-05-2016 10:44 AM)Kiatlyn0611 Wrote:  I'm curious Vosur, was there a point where it just hit you, or were you always aware? It was a very gradual progression for me, to get to the point of realizing my mortality, and that there will not be a "tomorrow" one day.
It was gradual for me as well. After I deconverted from Christianity, it took some time until the implications of that philosophical change manifested in my mind. The thought that there is not going to be an afterlife, that there will be no happy ending to this journey, that I will be swallowed whole by darkness one day, never to awake... it terrifies me like nothing else ever could. The knowledge that there will come a point when I will lose my consciousness forever makes me want to scream and cry at the same time. I want to fight and struggle against it even though I know that it is inevitable. I feel so hopeless and helpless in the face of the void. Sadcryface

Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug

☆☆☆
30-05-2016, 03:26 PM
I take some comfort in mortality, though it is still unsettling.

I will die, everyone I love will die, every accomplishment of everyone alive will decay and lose any significance, and that does make me wistful. On the other hand, every pain and injustice is temporary. Every vile hatred will fade away. Every tragic mistake and deceitful intention will, ultimately, stop mattering. There is only so bad I or anyone can fuck up, because our seas will boil away and our noisy little rock at the edge of this galaxy will, someday, go silent. We individually, as a species, as an ecosystem spanning billions of years, are temporary. The slate will be wiped clean. To me that is sad, but good.
[+] 1 user Likes I Am's post
30-05-2016, 03:37 PM (This post was last modified: 30-05-2016 03:46 PM by RocketSurgeon76.)
(30-05-2016 03:26 PM)I Am Wrote:  I take some comfort in mortality, though it is still unsettling.

I will die, everyone I love will die, every accomplishment of everyone alive will decay and lose any significance, and that does make me wistful. On the other hand, every pain and injustice is temporary. Every vile hatred will fade away. Every tragic mistake and deceitful intention will, ultimately, stop mattering. There is only so bad I or anyone can fuck up, because our seas will boil away and our noisy little rock at the edge of this galaxy will, someday, go silent. We individually, as a species, as an ecosystem spanning billions of years, are temporary. The slate will be wiped clean. To me that is sad, but good.

No creature wants to die. It seems apparent to me that most intelligent animals have a concept of their own mortality; you can see them fighting back and screaming in fear when attacked by predators, for instance. We are intelligent enough to ponder the end of our little lives on this little planet, which as you pointed out is all temporary.

Personally, I'm glad of the few turns around the sun we get. I'm proud that our species evolved an upright stance (hands free for toolmaking) and intelligence, and as far as we know is the first species in the universe to leave the biosphere in which it evolved. I have faced death on a few occasions, including a surgery to remove cancer, and was not troubled by the prospect that when I went under the anesthesia, I might not wake up again. Of course, I want to live and enjoy life as long as possible, but it seems to me the idea of eternal life is 100% ego, people thinking that they are just so important that they should live forever.

We're just intelligent animals on the third rock from Sol, a middle-sized yellow dwarf star on the back edge of one of the outer spiral arms of one galaxy among billions, yet we have egos big enough to imagine that all of it was created specifically for us. There is no shame in being what we really are, and I don't see any reason to think there is more-- just be grateful for what you get, and try to make living on this earth better for yourself and for those around you. Find joy in your friends and family, try a new hobby, and "eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow you may die".

Truly, I get annoyed when theists sling that "so you think there is no purpose to life!?" No, not in the sense that they mean, and I find it ridiculous that they mean it that way. But we are the products of four billion years of evolution; we mortal beings do get to make our own purpose, to find our own meaning, and that's pretty awesome.

Edit to Add:

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
30-05-2016, 09:41 PM
I understand completely how you feel. When I started losing my faith around 15 years old, I began to realize that I would not live forever--that 'I' will eventually die and cease to exist.

I began to have serious panic attacks. I diagnosed myself with all manner of terminal diseases. An asteroid was going to hit any second. A tsunami was going to come wash us away. The face of the nearby mountain was going to slide off, obliterating us.

I became so worked up over realizing that, at any moment, I could die. I was finite. Mortal.

It was a very trying time, but I managed through it.

I have more or less come to terms with my death. I'm quite fine with ceasing to be, even if the same goes for our planet, our sun, our galaxy, and the universe.

The fear still lingers, though. We are programmed to fear death. My body likes to take it a step further and experience that fear a bit more than normal.

And, well, dying is going to be unpleasant no matter how you go about it. But 'death' itself is not something to be feared. It's just a big, dreamless sleep, just like the time before you were born.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 2 users Like Loom's post
31-05-2016, 03:47 AM
It amazes me how most seem ok with the fact they will one day cease to be. I envy that so much, and really hope to get to that point one day. It is not due to arrogance on my part that I want to live forever, at least I don't think it is, I'm just very afraid of eternal darkness. I know, I know, I won't be aware I'm dead, but that is little comfort. There's a song that says "I'd rather feel pain than nothing at all". Yep. Give me something, anything, but please not death. Like I can hold it off with my magic powers.....

I wish more people cared about the earth as much as they care about who they believe created it
[+] 2 users Like Kiatlyn0611's post
31-05-2016, 04:28 AM
(30-05-2016 03:26 PM)I Am Wrote:  I will die, everyone I love will die, every accomplishment of everyone alive will decay and lose any significance, and that does make me wistful. [...]

I share your sense of despair, although, similar you (I'm guessing), it doesn't disable me from enjoying my life on a day-to-day basis.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
31-05-2016, 08:24 AM
(31-05-2016 03:47 AM)Kiatlyn0611 Wrote:  It amazes me how most seem ok with the fact they will one day cease to be. I envy that so much, and really hope to get to that point one day. It is not due to arrogance on my part that I want to live forever, at least I don't think it is, I'm just very afraid of eternal darkness. I know, I know, I won't be aware I'm dead, but that is little comfort. There's a song that says "I'd rather feel pain than nothing at all". Yep. Give me something, anything, but please not death. Like I can hold it off with my magic powers.....
I'm not "OK" with the fact that I'll cease to exist some day. It just doesn't make sense to worry about it. There is no reason to diminish my one and only life by spending it being actively fearful of the end of it. My goal is to live the life I want, the one that makes me happy. Worrying about the end doesn't fit in with that goal.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 3 users Like Adrianime's post
08-06-2016, 03:52 PM
I am actually more at peace with the thought of dying now that I am an atheist, than when I was a believer. When I believed in god, I always asked myself if I was good enough? did I donate enough? did I care enough? I know I am a good and kind person, but I bought new shoes instead of giving that money to the homeless, I renovated my home so it looked nice, but I could have built an orphanage in Africa with that amount of money, I only donated $20 when I had $40 in my wallet ....etc....etc....the list goes on. I don't live in fear of a judgement day, or answering to anybody anymore. When I die, its lights out. That to me, is quite comforting.
08-06-2016, 05:17 PM
(30-05-2016 06:58 AM)SYZ Wrote:  I guess the innate fear that a lot of people have about their own mortality is what's responsible for maintaining a lot of religious belief—an afterlife, or an existence in some beautiful heaven where you meet old friends and family... and your childhood pets too? Man, I'll be able to start my own zoo LOL.

[Image: funny-pictures-auto-comics-heaven-384955.jpeg]

Big Grin

Good cartoon. It reminds me of fourty some years ago I gave a doll to my neice. I didn't even notice that it was a bit darker than my own skin, nor that the nose was wider than a Caucasian's, but my sister in law did. "You are giving my baby a nigger doll?" She screamed at me. I responded that when she got to heaven I hope God put her in the colored section. She assured me that God wouldn't do anything like that!