Is it normal to be fascinated with death?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-02-2012, 05:08 AM (This post was last modified: 18-02-2012 05:13 AM by satan69.)
Is it normal to be fascinated with death?
Do other people think about how "awesome" the concept of death is? It's a awesome thought, no matter what side you believe in. If you believe in heaven, it's awesome to think there is some perfect place where we all go and there is no pain. That you would have all the answers to the universe. All the answers to every question you ever had for eternity. You would know if there is life on other planets. On the other hand, if you believe there is nothing, as most here do, the concept that you will never exist ever again, and have no memory of life is a awesome thought. To think that billions went by before you were born and billions more will go by after your death is incredible. Is it normal to be infatuated by this concept all the time. To think everyone on earth today will be dead in about 100 years is just mind boggling. It makes us feel so irrelevant.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-02-2012, 05:20 AM
RE: Is it normal to be fascinated with death?
Its the great "unknown" isnt it..........one of those things that cant be readily answered and has so many different varying opinions from people.

In a small way I look forward to death as it really is enevitable......maybe that will mean I will cease to exist totally, in doing so that brings me a teeny sense of peace.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
18-02-2012, 05:25 AM
Is it normal?
Infatuation is a human condition so yes.
But "to be infatuated by this concept all the time" is an exteme position so if normal = mean, median etc. it would not be normal.
I agree it can boggle one's mind and make "us feel so irrelevant" but counter that with the fact that stars died so that you can live... you are as relevant as every other part of the universe... now that is an empowering thought, no?
[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
18-02-2012, 05:31 AM (This post was last modified: 18-02-2012 05:51 AM by satan69.)
What also sucks, since there is no afterlife, is never knowing ,other than a theory, how the big bang and the universe came from nothing. No matter what we learn in the future, I don't think we will ever be able to prove- how the universe came from nothing- like we proved the earth is round. Only in a afterlife would we know 100%. I think thats another reason people believe in god. Everyone wants to know for sure all the questions of life. You will never know w/o a afterlife. That makes me feel shortchanged
18-02-2012, 10:54 AM
(18-02-2012 05:31 AM)satan69 Wrote:  What also sucks, since there is no afterlife, is never knowing ,other than a theory, how the big bang and the universe came from nothing. No matter what we learn in the future, I don't think we will ever be able to prove- how the universe came from nothing- like we proved the earth is round. Only in a afterlife would we know 100%. I think thats another reason people believe in god. Everyone wants to know for sure all the questions of life. You will never know w/o a afterlife. That makes me feel shortchanged

I've had this thought before. There's a frustration at being denied the chance to have all questions answered (this was a big part of my fundie indoctrination: In heaven God will answer all my questions).

On the otherhand, there's also comfort in knowing that when I've lived out as much life here as I possibly can, the moment I take my last breath, the unanswered questions won't matter to me one bit.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
18-02-2012, 11:47 AM
I would say so. It happens every day and is a part of life; it is hard imo, not have at least some fascination about it.
18-02-2012, 12:54 PM
huh? Are you all emos / goths / Smiths fans"?
(*delete as applicable)
[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
18-02-2012, 02:32 PM
(18-02-2012 10:54 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  On the otherhand, there's also comfort in knowing that when I've lived out as much life here as I possibly can, the moment I take my last breath, the unanswered questions won't matter to me one bit.
Cool

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
18-02-2012, 02:45 PM
actually yes, very interesting, death.
Since I nearly died the first time I was thinking about it a lot.
Back then I was 9 and I asked my mother what it is like to be dead. And she lacked a better answer so she said, well it's like falling asleep and never waking up but you also don't know or remember anything anymore.
So I thought that would be weird. All dark (like closed eyes) and all you have is your thoughts. Back then I didn't understand or think about the fact that the brain will stop working when you die.

Went through many stages with those thoughts. For most of my life I strongly believed into reincarnation, seemed logic to me. By now it doesn't anymore so I am back to zero.
Right now I think that it may be a bit like passing out but never waking up from that... if that makes sense?

But yes fascinating topic indeed

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-02-2012, 02:58 PM
Do you remember how you felt in 1812?
That's exactly how you'll feel in 2112.
[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post