Is it or is it not science?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-08-2012, 08:03 PM
Is it or is it not science?
Lately, physicists have been toying around with the concept of a multiverse, the idea that our universe is just one of many. The problem is, there's not really any way to test it...right now, that is. Our technology just isn't that advanced...yet. It might never be.

In your opinion, is this really science? Should the idea of a multiverse be pursued further or should it just be left as a nice thing to think about?

"Leave the atom alone."
-E.Y. Harburgh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-08-2012, 10:09 PM
RE: Is it or is it not science?
Newspaper headline from the 19th century:
Lately, physicists have been toying around with the concept of radioactivity, the idea that an atomic nucleus breaks down into smaller particles.
The problem is, there's not really any way to test it...right now, that is. Our technology just isn't that advanced...yet. It might never be.

Newspaper headline from the 18th century:
Lately, physicists have been toying around with the concept of electricity, the idea that somehow they can harness God's power.
The problem is, there's not really any way to test it...right now, that is. Our technology just isn't that advanced...yet. It might never be.
We say, leave lightning to Zeus!

Newspaper headline from the 6th century BCE:
Lately, physicists have been toying around with the concepts of geodetics, the idea that the Earth might be round.
In a 12 part interview with Pythagoras....

[+] 6 users Like DLJ's post
09-08-2012, 10:25 PM
I'm not too sure about this whole multiverse thing.
But that's because I know jack shit about quantum physics.
To me a lot of stuff scientist are coming up with like multiverse, that thing where two things are somehow connected no matter how far apart they are, the idea that something can be a particle when we look at it and a wave when we don't etc.. is just a load of shit.
That's because to be it doesn't make any logical sense and I don't know why and how scientists have these theories.

Doesn't mean I'm not open to it, just, show me the proof.
It's like DLJ mentioned the earth being round. If I was brought up with the notion that the earth was flat and someone said it was round, I'd be a bloody moron to just out right believe them, I'd want to see proof first. But then after seeing the proof I'd be an outright moron for NOT believing them.
At this point with all this multiverse stuff, I'm at the show me the proof part.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
10-08-2012, 12:21 AM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2012 12:25 AM by Erxomai.)
I know as much about physics as Muffs does.
So I listen to people who are smarter than I am.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
10-08-2012, 12:36 AM
Don't trust it. Sounds pretty far out to me. Not qualified to comment though...
10-08-2012, 12:41 AM
(10-08-2012 12:36 AM)morondog Wrote:  Don't trust it. Sounds pretty far out to me. Not qualified to comment though...

Schrodinger's cat will be very disappointed to hear you say that.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
10-08-2012, 01:53 AM
(09-08-2012 08:03 PM)DreamWeaver Wrote:  In your opinion, is this really science? Should the idea of a multiverse be pursued further or should it just be left as a nice thing to think about?

Fuck yea, it's science. Further pursuing the science that may or may not confirm this idea might also be the very same science that could help us cure cancer, isolate a gene that can switch off schizophrenia, or heat 50 houses in the winter, for free, with zero ecological footprint.

Nasa's NuSTAR telescope could be able to look into the inside of black holes - they think. It would help to confirm some of the data of the multiverse idea - not all, but some.

So, yea; if it's doable, do it... and maybe do it, even if it isn't quite doable, yet. Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 6 users Like kim's post
10-08-2012, 03:14 AM
(10-08-2012 12:41 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(10-08-2012 12:36 AM)morondog Wrote:  Don't trust it. Sounds pretty far out to me. Not qualified to comment though...

Schrodinger's cat will be very disappointed to hear you say that.

Schrodinger's cat's got bigger problems than me Tongue

Seriously though. I'll watch the movies sometime but... it seems like a far out, untestable idea. If they can make a test then I'll be more interested.
10-08-2012, 03:53 AM
Actually both Roger Penrose, and Laurence Krauss, among others, have suggested that if certain data in seen in the already orbiting WMAP, (Wilkinson Microwave Anisotrophy Probe), that "ripples" in Gravity patterns may be taken as evidence that other universes have crashed into this one. So Kaku's satellite, he talks about, in the future, may not be the first indication there is actually data for the multiverse theory, as well as a cyclic universe theory. Penrose calls it CCC, or Conformal Cyclic Cosmology. His recent book, "Cycles of Time" is a little difficult, as it involves a lot of math, but it's not impossible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ-D5AUGV...sults_main

There is a better lecture by Penrose where he introduced CCC, somewhere in Europe, (it's posted somewhere, probably in the Elegant Nature of Science thread, in TTA), it's long, and involved, but I don't see it right now.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
10-08-2012, 04:35 AM
This is a theory that Stephen Hawking talks about? What's there to question, if he supports it? You people are strange...

Smile

You act like you never seen Fringe. Or Star Trek. Or The One, with Jet Li.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post