Is it or is it not science?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-08-2012, 09:08 AM
RE: Is it or is it not science?
(10-08-2012 04:35 AM)Filox Wrote:  This is a theory that Stephen Hawking talks about? What's there to question, if he supports it? You people are strange...

Smile

You act like you never seen Fringe. Or Star Trek. Or The One, with Jet Li.

So one man says it's true and you suddenly believe him?
Is that not how religion started?

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-08-2012, 09:11 AM
Is it or is it not science?
(10-08-2012 12:21 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I know as much about physics as Muffs does.
So I listen to people who are smarter than I am.

I listen to the bible, because the bible is so reliable.

About this multiverse thing, well, I have no clue at all whether or not there are multiple universes. There may be. It would be impossible to know. Our minds are only capable of looking anywhere but within our universe. But as DLJ said, impossible right now may be cake in years to come.
[+] 3 users Like Magoo's post
10-08-2012, 09:21 AM
(09-08-2012 10:25 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  If I was brought up with the notion that the earth was flat and someone said it was round, I'd be a bloody moron to just out right believe them, I'd want to see proof first. But then after seeing the proof I'd be an outright moron for NOT believing them.

Blink
You are so dang cute.
Heart

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
10-08-2012, 09:53 AM
(10-08-2012 09:08 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(10-08-2012 04:35 AM)Filox Wrote:  This is a theory that Stephen Hawking talks about? What's there to question, if he supports it? You people are strange...

Smile

You act like you never seen Fringe. Or Star Trek. Or The One, with Jet Li.

So one man says it's true and you suddenly believe him?

But it's more than one man. Fringe, Star Trek, and let's not forget Sliders.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
10-08-2012, 10:58 AM
(10-08-2012 09:21 AM)kim Wrote:  
(09-08-2012 10:25 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  If I was brought up with the notion that the earth was flat and someone said it was round, I'd be a bloody moron to just out right believe them, I'd want to see proof first. But then after seeing the proof I'd be an outright moron for NOT believing them.

Blink
You are so dang cute.
Heart

[Image: Awesome.png]

10-08-2012, 11:49 AM
[Image: 40949974_vomiting416300.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-08-2012, 11:56 AM
One aspect of the multiverse theory... that each time we make a decision, in another universe we make the other choice... phooey!

There are 7 billion people on this planet. Imagine how many decisions are made on a daily basis. Then allow for every other sentient creature that is capable of making decisions. My dog would create a few hundred universes each time I took him for a walk.

Then keep in mind that this is just one planet in one galaxy.

Given the number of sentient creatures that exist in this galaxy... and the number of galaxies in the universe... to think that a new universe pops into existence each time a decision is made is preposterous to the nth degree. And more than a little egocentric.

There may well be other universes; but they don't contain a parallel you.
[+] 2 users Like Red Celt's post
10-08-2012, 11:48 PM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2012 11:57 PM by earmuffs.)
(10-08-2012 11:56 AM)Red Celt Wrote:  One aspect of the multiverse theory... that each time we make a decision, in another universe we make the other choice... phooey!

There are 7 billion people on this planet. Imagine how many decisions are made on a daily basis. Then allow for every other sentient creature that is capable of making decisions. My dog would create a few hundred universes each time I took him for a walk.

Given the number of sentient creatures that exist in this galaxy... and the number of galaxies in the universe... to think that a new universe pops into existence each time a decision is made is preposterous to the nth degree. And more than a little egocentric.

That's the idea, that there is an infinite number of universes.
Thus I call bullshit.

You want a real mind fuck, look into quantum entanglement.
The idea that when two particles are 'entangled' that when you measure one particle it means the other is the exact same measurement no matter the distance between them. So, two particles spin randomly in whatever direction they like irrespective of each other. Then you measure one, this takes a snap shot of one of the particles at the time of measurement and because the particles are entangled when you measured one at a certain point in time it means the other particle instantly (not very fast, instantly) becomes the same direction of the particle you just measured. Put it this way, you and I are entangled say. You where you are, me where I am. Someone takes a picture of me at exactly 5pm doing say a strongman pose. Because we are entangled, at 5pm you no matter what you are doing will be doing the exact same pose.
Yeah, good luck understanding that one.

But then again I'm still not convinced that the closer you get to the speed of light, time slows down.
Light is just photons, or light energy being transferred by photons.
Time is not related to light, the two are separate.
It doesn't matter how fast you travel time is a constant.

I think there is a lot we don't know. This whole boson thing is amazing. I've been reading up on it a bit (because of this thread) and from what I gathered bosons are like.. 'vessels' in which energy is transferred. So like graviton is the boson for gravity (correct me if I'm wrong). The higgs as we know gives things their weight.
So I have a few ideas in mind, obviously absolutely nothing to back them up and going off little information. If particles, atoms, are effected by these higgs bosons then maybe particles sorta like emit gravitons. All particles. But it's weak, but it gets stronger the more particles you have together (more concentrated), thus why planets have massive gravitational strength and we have like none. But then like two magnets perhaps the higgs is attracted to the graviton or vise verser thus when we jump gravity pulls us back down.
I dunno, like I say I got nothing to back this up it just sounds sorta right. Much better then, "obviously there's infinite number of parallel universes" anyway.

I think this idea that these boson things are everywhere, sorta like a giant sea of them, may have merit too.
When helium 4 is at 2points above absolute zero it has zero viscosity. Viscosity is the measure of how easy things are to pass through. So like water will have a a viscosity of say 1 where as honey would have a viscosity of like 5 (not real numbers, just example). Helium 4 is considered a 'superfluid', meaning it has zero viscosity.
What makes this amazing is it passes over objects with no friction. In fact it will even pass through the pores in the jars its kept in. So what would normally hold the helium4 as soon as it becomes a superfluid it seeps through. This is because it's so cold it has zero movement, the particles don't bounce around.
This is what they think the higgs field could be like, we're in it but because it has zero viscosity so we don't feel it. Like a giant higgs boson ocean
It's interesting to read about. It's a field scientists are just starting to unravel the whole higgs boson, or boson in general thing. Could very well explain the fabric our universe and perhaps where it all came from.

[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
10-08-2012, 11:52 PM
(10-08-2012 09:53 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(10-08-2012 09:08 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  So one man says it's true and you suddenly believe him?

But it's more than one man. Fringe, Star Trek, and let's not forget Sliders.

Can we please forget Sliders Smile

Legal Disclaimer: I am right, I reserve the right to be wrong without notice, opinions may change, your statutory rights are not affected, opinions expressed are not my own and are an approximation for the sake of communication.
11-08-2012, 12:00 AM
(10-08-2012 11:48 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(10-08-2012 11:56 AM)Red Celt Wrote:  One aspect of the multiverse theory... that each time we make a decision, in another universe we make the other choice... phooey!

That's the idea, that there is an infinite number of universes.
Thus I call bullshit.

You want a real mind fuck, look into quantum entanglement.
The idea that when two particles are 'entangled' that when you measure one particle it means the other is the exact same measurement no matter the distance between them. So, two particles spin randomly in whatever direction they like irrespective of each other. Then you measure one, this takes a snap shot of one of the particles at the time of measurement and because the particles are entangled when you measured one at a certain point in time it means the other particle instantly (not very fast, instantly) becomes the same direction of the particle you just measured. Put it this way, you and I are entangled say. You where you are, me where I am. Someone takes a picture of me at exactly 5pm doing say a strongman pose. Because we are entangled, at 5pm you no matter what you are doing will be doing the exact same pose.
Yeah, good luck understanding that one.

But then again I'm still not convinced that the closer you get to the speed of light, time slows down.
Light is just photons, or light energy being transferred by photons.
Time is not related to light, the two are separate.
It doesn't matter how fast you travel time is a constant.

I think there is a lot we don't know. This whole boson thing is amazing. I've been reading up on it a bit (because of this thread) and from what I gathered bosons are like.. 'vessels' in which energy is transferred. So like graviton is the boson for gravity (correct me if I'm wrong). The higgs as we know gives things their weight.
So I have a few ideas in mind, obviously absolutely nothing to back them up and going off little information. If particles, atoms, are effected by these higgs bosons then maybe particles sorta like emit gravitons. All particles. But it's weak, but it gets stronger the more particles you have together (more concentrated), thus why planets have massive gravitational strength and we have like none. But then like two magnets perhaps the higgs is attracted to the graviton or vise verser thus when we jump gravity pulls us back down.
I dunno, like I say I got nothing to back this up it just sounds sorta right. Much better then, "obviously there's infinite number of parallel universes" anyway.

The most useful thing I ever heard said on the subject of quantum mechanics was by some big wig PhD, cant remember who, but think it might have been on a panorama or similar BBC documentry.

"Quatum physics is strange, very strange. If you think you understand it, youve got it wrong."

That was the sound bite, he then went on to talk about its counter intuitive nature and how it defied logic and how much it hurt his head.

Legal Disclaimer: I am right, I reserve the right to be wrong without notice, opinions may change, your statutory rights are not affected, opinions expressed are not my own and are an approximation for the sake of communication.