Is it or is it not science?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-08-2012, 08:14 PM
RE: Is it or is it not science?
(09-08-2012 08:03 PM)DreamWeaver Wrote:  Lately, physicists have been toying around with the concept of a multiverse, the idea that our universe is just one of many. The problem is, there's not really any way to test it...right now, that is. Our technology just isn't that advanced...yet. It might never be.

In your opinion, is this really science? Should the idea of a multiverse be pursued further or should it just be left as a nice thing to think about?

It is a hypothesis, and nothing more. I always cringe when I hear the words "M Theory", as if it has facts to back it up.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-08-2012, 11:30 PM
(09-08-2012 08:03 PM)DreamWeaver Wrote:  Lately, physicists have been toying around with the concept of a multiverse, the idea that our universe is just one of many. The problem is, there's not really any way to test it...right now, that is. Our technology just isn't that advanced...yet. It might never be.

In your opinion, is this really science? Should the idea of a multiverse be pursued further or should it just be left as a nice thing to think about?

I can not fathom how this is to develop into anything other than theory. Science is the word to define knowing, the first draft of knowing is the want of course, the curiosity, to present a hypothesis, until such of any theory is proven, it is not labeled as a known circumstance and therefore is not dignified as science technically. I personally think the idea is entertaining enough to care about, but entertainment is all I want to receive from it, I have no other interest. We know enough about our own universe to know in inhabits an incredible amount of galaxies and other "earth" like planets through the service of our satellites, I don't see any importance into giving any time into attempting to design a way to research the theory of another universe when you have black holes in our galaxy, Betelgeuse on Orion's Belt on the brink of becoming a Supernova, our sister galaxy on course to collide into our own, the stupidity of people wanting to colonize Mars, and, though it is not proven to have existence and remains a theory, a star that dominates our Sun outside our galaxy (named Nemesis, very creative I know.) I just assume there are much more subjects of true importance, both real and chained in theory to concentrate research on.

Leviticus does not justify stupidity, but it is more than enough to define corruption of the human mind.

[Image: 24851795.jpg]
16-08-2012, 06:37 AM
(15-08-2012 07:52 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(13-08-2012 06:47 AM)Chas Wrote:  Yeah, on particles, not on freakin' cats.

Not just on particles no more, ChasMan. First quantum effects seen in visible object.

Quote:Alas, you couldn't actually see the effect happening, because that very act of observation would take it out of superposition.

But they did observe it via the qubit detector, so the idea that observation affects it fails.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-08-2012, 06:28 PM
(16-08-2012 06:37 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(15-08-2012 07:52 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Not just on particles no more, ChasMan. First quantum effects seen in visible object.

Quote:Alas, you couldn't actually see the effect happening, because that very act of observation would take it out of superposition.

But they did observe it via the qubit detector, so the idea that observation affects it fails.

Huh? Huh Did you miss the part about "When measured afterwards, ..."?

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.