Is it over for Bernie?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-04-2016, 01:30 PM
Is it over for Bernie?
The experts said that he absolutely needed to have a big win in New York to still have a shot at getting enough delegates to win the nomination, but what happened instead is that he suffered a devastating loss (lost by 16%) a few days ago.

What do you think - does he still have a chance at turning things around?

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-04-2016, 01:53 PM
RE: Is it over for Bernie?
Even if his presidential campaign sinks he's done a good job. Established himself as a big player. If not this election, then the next, he'll be someone to watch.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
20-04-2016, 01:59 PM
(20-04-2016 01:30 PM)Vosur Wrote:  The experts said that he absolutely needed to have a big win in New York to still have a shot at getting enough delegates to win the nomination, but what happened instead is that he suffered a devastating loss (lost by 16%) a few days ago.

What do you think - does he still have a chance at turning things around?

Bernie received 106 delegates in New York and Clinton received 139. The 33 delegates difference is not substantial.

However, it does look like Clinton is very much more likely to get the majority.
The pledged delegates are 1,428 for Clinton, 1,151 for Sanders. That does not include all of the superdelegates Clinton has, but they are able to switch sides if they wish. Some switched during the Obama election. Superdelegates are 502 for Clinton and 38 for Sanders. I was actually pleased that New York was so close- I suspect California will be more Sanders delegates...but just my opinion.

The biology of mind bridges the sciences - concerned with the natural world - and the humanities - concerned with the meaning of human experience. Eric Kandel
[+] 2 users Like carol's post
20-04-2016, 02:05 PM
(20-04-2016 01:53 PM)morondog Wrote:  Even if his presidential campaign sinks he's done a good job. Established himself as a big player. If not this election, then the next, he'll be someone to watch.

The man is old. If Hillary wins the presidency she'll be the dem nominee for the 2020 election as well. Bernie could be dead by then. He'll be what, 80 in 2020?

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Lord Dark Helmet's post
20-04-2016, 02:12 PM
He's done.
He's had an impact on the national conversation. That's more than most thought he would do.
He resonated with the old "hippies" and idealistic young people who had no clue how things work.
He said he would break up the banks
The POTUS has no power to do that.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
20-04-2016, 02:12 PM
It is very worrisome indeed, but I am still holding out hope that he will win. As Lord Dark Helmet said, he will not have even a remote chance of being elected for president until 2020 and he will be 82 or 83 by then. Another 8 1/2 years, I doubt he will have the same energy, pizzazz or fire that made him as popular as he is now. Plus, everyone who remembers him now will most likely no longer care about any of this stuff in 8 more years.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
20-04-2016, 02:38 PM
[Image: trump-nope.jpg]

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
20-04-2016, 02:55 PM (This post was last modified: 20-04-2016 03:14 PM by Mr. Boston.)
(20-04-2016 01:53 PM)morondog Wrote:  Even if his presidential campaign sinks he's done a good job. Established himself as a big player. If not this election, then the next, he'll be someone to watch.

Unless he's dead - which would still give him a fair chance at beating John Ashcroft in an election. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Sta...ouri,_2000
21-04-2016, 01:31 AM
(20-04-2016 02:12 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  He's done.
He's had an impact on the national conversation. That's more than most thought he would do.
He resonated with the old "hippies" and idealistic young people who had no clue how things work.
He said he would break up the banks
The POTUS has no power to do that.

Oh dear. You do so disappoint me sometimes.

Please read what he actual said about how, and by whom, the financial institutions can be assessed and, if considered high enough risk, broken down.

Regarding "no clue how things work", that's probably what was said by a majority before any revolution (including the pre-independence US-colony pro-monarchists).

Watching you guys giving away your hard won political system so easily (given the sacrifices made to establish it) is heart-breaking.

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
21-04-2016, 04:40 AM
I don't think so. I hope he stays in all the way to the convention. I doubt he's going to be the nominee, but he's the only one talking sense about the things that I'm most worried about, so I want him in the national eye for as long as possible.
[+] 3 users Like julep's post