Is it possible...?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-06-2013, 10:12 PM
Is it possible...?
Is it possible for me to convince a person to who is studying in a christian school (sadly my school) leave the cult of christianity? I tried hard and every time people simplely ignore me and run away or insult me and say that I make no sense (pulling phrases out of the bible without looking at the context...) even though I am sure that I stated the wrongdoings of the disgusting god like mass mudering children.
What can I do?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-06-2013, 10:13 PM
RE: Is it possible...?
(11-06-2013 10:12 PM)bustead Wrote:  Is it possible for me to convince a person to who is studying in a christian school (sadly my school) leave the cult of christianity? I tried hard and every time people simplely ignore me and run away or insult me and say that I make no sense (pulling phrases out of the bible without looking at the context...) even though I am sure that I stated the wrongdoings of the disgusting god like mass mudering children.
What can I do?

No, you can present evidence and talk it out with them but ultimately they have to decide for themselves.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
11-06-2013, 10:28 PM
(11-06-2013 10:12 PM)bustead Wrote:  Is it possible for me to convince a person to who is studying in a christian school (sadly my school) leave the cult of christianity? I tried hard and every time people simplely ignore me and run away or insult me and say that I make no sense (pulling phrases out of the bible without looking at the context...) even though I am sure that I stated the wrongdoings of the disgusting god like mass mudering children.
What can I do?

Yes it's possible.

It always depends on the person. Their willingness to question, be incorrect, and learn.

That being said. Revenant77x is correct. You can't make a person do anything. You can try to persuade them, or explain to them why you think what you think, and see what happens.

At the worst they'll simply reject it, at the best the doubt and contradictions will force them to toss it out.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
11-06-2013, 10:46 PM
Lay your cards flat on the table, but ultimately leave the person to decide for themselves.
[+] 2 users Like Ferdinand's post
12-06-2013, 12:13 AM
bustead, all you can do is plant a seed. One cannot force conversion or deconversion on anyone. By telling people what you believe and why you have planted a seed that may come to fruition or may die. You can tell how difficult convincing anyone about religion is by how theists are treated here, often with disrespect because their ideas are so foreign to people on this forum. Understand that you are doing the same only opposite hand. Accept that your ideas will not be well received. Thus is life in your situation.
12-06-2013, 12:24 AM
Look for th people who havnt been totally indoctrinated, the ones who say stuff like, "yeah im still christian but a lot of stuff doesnt make sense." I have had some success with those people at the catholic private school that i go to. Some of my best friends from school are people who started out like that who i gradually showed atheism to. Of course they made the choice themselves. Dont push yourself unless they want to hear a different opinion.
12-06-2013, 03:21 AM
Ok thx you all.
12-06-2013, 03:22 AM
(12-06-2013 03:21 AM)bustead Wrote:  Ok thx you all.

Good Luck with your friend, let us know how it plays out.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
12-06-2013, 04:49 AM
What can I do?

Clearly, you need to go to a real school.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
12-06-2013, 05:27 AM
Most beliefs don't catch on until the current generation dies out and is replaced by new minds, because it's highly unlikely for people to change beliefs. That means first admitting that one's beliefs were wrong, and cognitive dissonance prevents people from ever realizing that they are wrong.

However, minds can be changed -- I was once a Christian and now I'm an atheist. It's hard, and it requires a lot of patience because it doesn't happen all at once. My faith crumbled when I realized how ineffective prayer was when I really needed it. Again, though, it took years and wasn't the result of someone's clever argument.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user