Is it possible that if the big bang happened again, we could live another life?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-08-2014, 06:29 PM
Is it possible that if the big bang happened again, we could live another life?
Is it possible that when the universe eventually stops expanding and collapses in on itself again, that it could then expand once again and create new planets and we would experience life again but on a totally new planet? Also imagine that the universe as we know it right now, has experience only one big bang and therefore is the first round of it expanding and then eventually collapsing, and that the universe repeated this for eternity, forever expanding and then collapsing, so no-one new anything about it yet, and this was all still to come. I dont expect us to remember the previous life we had, or the world to resemble anything like this one, but is it possible we could experience life again, or is science strongly suggesting that after this life we experience eternal nothingness?

Sorry if I am talking bullshit, I don't know how to explain it elegantly. I am interested if there are any credible scientific theories that suggest this might not be our only break from eternal nothingness.

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." - Henry David Thoreau
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-08-2014, 06:31 PM
RE: Is it possible that if the big bang happened again, we could live another life?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-worlds_interpretation

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
08-08-2014, 07:11 PM
RE: Is it possible that if the big bang happened again, we could live another life?
(08-08-2014 06:29 PM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  Is it possible that when the universe eventually stops expanding and collapses in on itself again, that it could then expand once again and create new planets and we would experience life again but on a totally new planet? Also imagine that the universe as we know it right now, has experience only one big bang and therefore is the first round of it expanding and then eventually collapsing, and that the universe repeated this for eternity, forever expanding and then collapsing, so no-one new anything about it yet, and this was all still to come. I dont expect us to remember the previous life we had, or the world to resemble anything like this one, but is it possible we could experience life again, or is science strongly suggesting that after this life we experience eternal nothingness?

Sorry if I am talking bullshit, I don't know how to explain it elegantly. I am interested if there are any credible scientific theories that suggest this might not be our only break from eternal nothingness.

The latest evidence strongly indicates an ever-expanding universe.

However, if it were to collapse, there is no reason to believe that anything would happen the same.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
09-08-2014, 06:57 AM
If the universe eventually reverses it's expansion, would the direction of time reverse? If it did, then perhaps we're in a temporal time loop that never ends, you would exist again, repeating this cycle without end.

Though the most intuitive interpretation of what would happen if the universe begins contracting would be like a ball coming down after you throw it into the air. Time continues in a forward direction, it just returns towards it's initial position.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
09-08-2014, 07:05 AM
You might be interested in Roger Penrose's (a friend/college of Steven Hawking), "Cycles of Time". What Chas said is more than likely correct, as there is no reason to expect all (any) of the things which are determined by various probabilities to happen again in the same sequence. ON the other hand, if Penrose is right, some things may be similar.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
09-08-2014, 08:54 AM
It doesn't seem likely. The universe is not only expanding, it appears to be accelerating in its expansion do to dark energy. Gravity is far too weak a force to bring everything back on itself. Besides of which, a "big crunch" need not necessitate another big bang. It would only mean a universal sized black hole.