Is it possible to feel the delusion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-02-2016, 01:52 PM
Is it possible to feel the delusion?
Whenever I am in church, I can feel the delusion. I don't know how I can elaborate more on this. It's like I know this isn't real but all these Christians believe it. Do you ever feel the delusion when anyone talks about God and Jesus?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes musicharmony87's post
08-02-2016, 02:18 PM
RE: Is it possible to feel the delusion?
I went to a family friend's daughter's wedding recently, and I think I know what you are talking about. The guy was up there going on about all this god watching over them and so forth, and people were just eating it up. It's weird, now that I am not in that mind set. I don't believe any of it.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
08-02-2016, 02:24 PM
Yes!

I've had it happen a couple of times since moving to Oklahoma but the most extreme one happened at work.

I was having a chat with a co-worker who was known for being a godbot. The conversation wasn't about religion but that never stopped her from turning it into one. We were discussing her recent surgery and I was saying how great it was she did well, when, I kid you not, her eyes glazed over, her head kind of lolled to the side and she started spewing god and jesus stuff as if she was in a trance. It was palpable. The hairs on my neck stood up and I felt like I was watching a mental break of some sort.

Seriously, I was a bit scared. Her delusion had taken possession of her. After a few minutes of rambling she sort of came around and smiled, then just walked off. It was creepy as shit. ShockingSadcryface

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 6 users Like Heatheness's post
08-02-2016, 03:10 PM
(08-02-2016 01:52 PM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  Whenever I am in church, I can feel the delusion. I don't know how I can elaborate more on this. It's like I know this isn't real but all these Christians believe it. Do you ever feel the delusion when anyone talks about God and Jesus?

Yep. Last time I was there was for a funeral. I was thinking that these were grown men and women and they believe this!

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
08-02-2016, 03:17 PM
(08-02-2016 01:52 PM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  Whenever I am in church, I can feel the delusion. I don't know how I can elaborate more on this. It's like I know this isn't real but all these Christians believe it. Do you ever feel the delusion when anyone talks about God and Jesus?

Do you mean like you cringe inside? It's not that you feel what it is their feeling, but rather an aversion to whatever it is they're responding too?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
08-02-2016, 03:55 PM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2016 04:00 PM by Szuchow.)
Whenever I talk with believers about religion (which is a rare occurrence) I feel pity that they were indoctrinated and robbed of chance to live free from religious nonsense from the start. But delusion I feel not.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
08-02-2016, 03:57 PM
There is no god or gods. Get over it and grow up.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
08-02-2016, 04:03 PM
I like going inside the big European cathedrals.

The art is amazing and it's always cool and peaceful. There is a serenity about it. I like that. You can be in the middle of a buzzing city and step into peace and quiet.

I don't see that as delusional though, just amazing architecture.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
08-02-2016, 04:04 PM
(08-02-2016 04:03 PM)Dom Wrote:  I don't see that as delusional though, just amazing architecture.

Or money and power.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
08-02-2016, 04:08 PM
I love learning new things about neurological biology, and I just found a new book online that I ordered from Barnes and Noble. It is called "The Neuroscience of Religious Experience" through Cambridge University Press, (Patrick McNamara) Books are usually well written when Cambridge University Press produces them. I have not read it yet, (It has not come in the mail yet) but from what I have been reading lately , the religious 'feelings" people have may be biochemically based. Neurotheology proponents believe that religious feelings are caused by the 'feel good" brain chemicals we produce and they are trying to trace the brain pathways to see what the religious experience looks like on a scan, or through blood tests, or looking at pulse rate and heart beat for example. I am interested in learning about this myself, so if you find anything interesting please send a link to me. One researcher takes brain scans of people while they are praying, for example. The basic idea is that people produce "feel good" chemcals in response to group activities, like going to an ice hockey game, a concert or listening to people sing and pray as a group in a church. This delusion you are feeling-could it simply be the feelings people get when in a group of people singing, chanting,and getting excited together?
[+] 3 users Like carol's post