Is it safe to be "out"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-03-2015, 05:31 AM
RE: Is it safe to be "out"
If I had a cubicle, I'd have it all decked out in a combination of atheist decorations, Norse pagan trinkets, and stereotypical pro gun and dysfunctional veteran shit. I think that'd make for a sufficiently interesting point to start the conversation from.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
22-03-2015, 07:00 AM
It seems that when many of us realize we're atheists we're a bit enthusiastic about debunking religion. The problem is, in the workplace especially, is that there are Christians who can influence whether or not you keep your job. We need to keep in mind that for some people, who may have lost a family member, that religion is the glue that's keeping them together. As for decorating your cubicle, pictures of family members is a pretty safe bet. You'd be surprised as to how many attend church regularly because of work influences who would never admit to being a non believer.
[+] 2 users Like Takelababy's post
22-03-2015, 07:13 AM
I would say be cautious about it if you're scared. Once it's out, it's out there. I have no idea what your boss is like but you have to weigh the benefits. There could be 50 pics of Jesus on the next cube but your one FSM logo is pushy. I am fortunate where no one I work with believes so it is a non-issue but in a previous job that was not the case. I would not lie about it though. At some point, you have to be honest with yourself. You know that once you're out there, there are going to be some who won't care, some that will, and some that will give you the typical "you're arrogant" schtick.

Personally, I know that people I know are bothered by it (I live in IN). My wife is a believer, as is pretty much my entire extended family. I play on a church softball team (no, really) so it is a bit awkward but the guys are great. Only 1 has had the courage to talk to me about it where I learned of some of the "concerns" (for lack of better words) of a couple of the guys since they know I wasn't a believer. The one guy who asked me about it is a great person because it didn't matter to him. I think he was genuinely curious and we had a really great conversation about it. You also have to accept though that not all people are going to be cool. They may have the outward appearances of niceties, but deep down, they are scared of you because you represent doubt and no matter what a religious person tells you, doubt is NOT acceptable.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
26-03-2015, 12:44 PM
I'm out to wife, she was the first person I told, and a few friends that are also atheists. I have a TTA coffee mug on my desk at work but that's it. I don't think very many people even know what it means.

Do I openly brag about it? Nope. There are several devout catholics at my job and a few even have their desks plastered with religious stuff. Do it bother me? Only if it's in a shared space but I have yet to see that.

I live in SoCal but grew up in Kentucky. Yesterday a friend of mine died from lukiemiea and while I am sad I can't stand to read the facebook posts because of all the religious nonsense that is on there. I've had a few friends figure me out because of facebook but so far none of them has unfriended me. I've even had a few good discussions on the matter with them.

Mainly my advice is to be careful at work especially in a more close minded area.

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

-Carl Sagan
[+] 1 user Likes USMCLoggy's post
26-03-2015, 02:22 PM
Last week, my mother asked if I was scared to let people know I was an atheist. I told her no, that hopefully it opens up a discussion. She said, aren't you afraid for your safety, like when you wear your INFIDEL shirt? I told her she is an infidel, too. She said, I am not. I said, Mom, to a Muslim, you are an infidel. She thought an infidel was an unworthy piece of shit and thought I was being ironic when I wear it. This is what I mean by ignorance. I told her, if a Muslim is hell-bent on killing anyone who isn't Muslim (as the Koran tells them to do), don't you think that huge cross around your neck will make you a target?

Bottom line: It depends on what kind of person you are whether it's safe for you to be out. If you are confident in yourself and can protect yourself, then why hide it? If you fear you may lose your job or something like that, then keep quiet.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like WillHopp's post
28-03-2015, 01:54 AM
(21-03-2015 07:40 PM)zellerscrossing Wrote:  All the Christians hang their religious propaganda in their cubicles but I'm hesitant to hang anything myself.
If anyone asks you why you don't have religious propaganda in your cubicle quote Matthew 6:5-6.

"[5] And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. [6] But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly."

Sapere aude
28-03-2015, 02:01 AM
I don't keep it a secret but I don't shout it from the rooftops either.

I will not put any sort of atheist stuff on my car or my property because I don't want to be vandalized.

I sometimes perform at a little theater company. I'm currently in rehearsal for Romeo and Juliet playing Lord Montegue. There are a lot of religious people running that organization and if I came out to them I'm sure I would get no more parts.

Sapere aude
28-03-2015, 02:39 AM
Well, like others might have said: I don't hide it if someone asks me, but it's not like I advertise to everyone.

If I'm talking to a friend (online or otherwise), I might mention it if the topic is related. But I don't think I would use stickers on my car, it exposes you too much and why? I mean, you can and you should do it if you want, but I see no compelling reason to do it. I don't really care. Big Grin

In your cubicle you could hang anything, it doesn't have to be about religion. Like any superheroes? Beers? Quotes? Space images? Your dog if you have one? Tongue

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
29-03-2015, 11:41 AM
(21-03-2015 07:40 PM)zellerscrossing Wrote:  Has anyone experienced great difficulty being an out and open atheist?

This is a sort of two sided question.
I am out to my closest friends and family but at work I don't bring it up. All the Christians hang their religious propaganda in their cubicles but I'm hesitant to hang anything myself.

I have recently outright lost a friend when I mentioned that I was atheist. Obviously "he must not have been a good friend" but it still hurts.

The other side to this question is, do you feel safe putting say a FSM logo on your car with fear of getting your tires slit, keyed car, etc...

I'm a proud atheist, and just started going to atheist meetups, but I have found that some people are comfortable with preaching it to the world, and others that are hesitant like me.

What about you?

PS: I live in Idaho, pretty closed minded when it comes to the topic of non-belief (good place though, very proud Idahoan)

I'm kind of facing a similar problem. While most people I'm friends with are either agnostic/atheist or don't really have a strong stance, I find it hard to be "out and proud" on public forums like Facebook since I have other friends and family that are pretty religious. I see so many religious posts and shared photos and I so much want to be able to counter those with my own posts. I've shared a couple of very vague things in the past (one photo stating, "I am free no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do"). While it got some positive feedback, I had a couple smartass religious friends trying to dog me saying things like, "Who's to really say what is good? What if you're definition of good is not mine?" It got to the point where they were even hypothetically defending rape by saying it's necessary to carry on our species. At that point, I let myself become so livid that I basically let myself get bullied out of the conversation.

Since then, I've been uber cautious to post anything even remotely atheist mainly because I'm still so new to this and I'm not heavily educated with everything that has to do with religion yet.

We are eternal beings. Endings are not in our destiny.
29-03-2015, 12:01 PM
I live in a Portland, Oregon, it's a pretty secular place. I haven't put anything on my cars, but it is only because the right thing hasn't come across my path. I don't avoid it.
I am not open to family or friends, unless I feel they are like minded and it comes up. I am not out and open on FB. I don't want the backlash and judgement. Like most, I don't put it out there, but if I was asked, I wouldn't lie. I had a very religious co worker, she was pretty respectful, but also tried to "woo"me. I didn't respond positively or negatively. She pretty much left me alone.
I would like to be more open about it, but the hassle from religious zealots stops me. I guess I am a coward, I am ok with that. I see things changing.
[+] 1 user Likes Kitty Galore's post