Is it safe to eat the amount of raw cocao that I eat?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-05-2016, 08:06 PM
Is it safe to eat the amount of raw cocao that I eat?
I have been using raw cocao a lot in my diet and it has me worried. I eat about a half pound of it a week, I buy it in bags from whole foods. They're basically the cocao bean, that's used to make chocolate, just ground up and sold as "cocao nibs". I grind it up, or buy it powdered (which is still uncooked but has less fat probably from being turned to a fine powder) and I put it in my greek yogurt.

Is this safe? Am I doing myself any favors by doing this? I have seen mixed opinions on cocao, from it being loaded with nutrients, to it being harmful and toxic. I just think it tasted good, but I don't know if it's a good idea for me to keep using it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-05-2016, 08:50 PM (This post was last modified: 17-05-2016 08:53 PM by Dom.)
RE: Is it safe to eat the amount of raw cocao that I eat?
Quote:SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS/ It has been stated that "in large doses" theobromine may cause nausea and anorexia and that daily intake of 50-100 g cocoa (0.8-1.5 g theobromine) by humans has been associated with sweating, trembling and severe headache.

https://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/s...DOCNO+7332

But yes, it has a lot of good antioxidants to offer, too.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
17-05-2016, 09:18 PM
(17-05-2016 08:06 PM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  I have been using raw cocao a lot in my diet and it has me worried. I eat about a half pound of it a week, I buy it in bags from whole foods. They're basically the cocao bean, that's used to make chocolate, just ground up and sold as "cocao nibs". I grind it up, or buy it powdered (which is still uncooked but has less fat probably from being turned to a fine powder) and I put it in my greek yogurt.

Is this safe? Am I doing myself any favors by doing this? I have seen mixed opinions on cocao, from it being loaded with nutrients, to it being harmful and toxic. I just think it tasted good, but I don't know if it's a good idea for me to keep using it.

What did you find on the internet when you Googled this question?
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
17-05-2016, 09:53 PM
(17-05-2016 08:06 PM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  I have been using raw cocao a lot in my diet and it has me worried. I eat about a half pound of it a week, I buy it in bags from whole foods. They're basically the cocao bean, that's used to make chocolate, just ground up and sold as "cocao nibs". I grind it up, or buy it powdered (which is still uncooked but has less fat probably from being turned to a fine powder) and I put it in my greek yogurt.

The only likely side effect that I know of the active ingredient (theobromine) is hyperactivity. Check out Dom's post for other side effects. If you don't experience these symptoms, you're OK with this drug. If I have a little too much coffee, or drink it after noon, I have trouble sleeping. If my wife drinks coffee or hot cocoa, it puts her to sleep. I'd be bouncing off the walls. I love the taste of chocolate, but again, say, if I ate a Hershey bar with dinner, I'd be wide awake at midnight.