Is it time for you to become Anti-theist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-12-2015, 09:04 AM
Is it time for you to become Anti-theist?
With all the shootings and wars, isn't it you duty as a human to move from a passive Atheist to a Anti-theist?

Davis Silverman said this: "Some … people call me a (jerk) because I challenge the absurd notion that religion deserves respect by default. But religion is wrong for demanding respect simply for being, and even more wrong for demanding never to be questioned. Indeed, it is my duty as an American, as an atheist, and as a nice person to do what I can to take religion down — not by force, not by law, but by truth.”

And that truth, he writes, is simple: “all religions are lies, and all believers are victims.”

I believe that the human race will never survive religion.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-12-2015, 09:37 AM
RE: Is it time for you to become Anti-theist?
There is enough non-religion in the world that I don't despair for the entire human race. It is a pretty trying time in a lot of ways, but we'll get through it. Also, I think that a lot more reporting of world events is occurring. It used to be that a person would only hear the local news and some big stuff from a national level. A person 100+ YA would know very little about what was happening in some foreign countries, thus it would seem a safer world.
03-12-2015, 09:53 AM
It was religion that allowed us to survive the transformation to civilization, during which many of our instincts were made obsolete faster than physical evolution could realistically take place. This created a context in which cultures adapted to control those instincts. I would love it if religion were to disappear, but the solution would, once again, be to change the context in a manner that survival necessity no longer favors religion as an adaptive advantage. Technology may be making this happen, albeit slowly. Trying to be too "anti" about it, so to speak, is probably more trouble than it's worth.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 4 users Like yakherder's post
03-12-2015, 10:04 AM
(03-12-2015 09:53 AM)yakherder Wrote:  It was religion that allowed us to survive the transformation to civilization, during which many of our instincts were made obsolete faster than physical evolution could realistically take place. This created a context in which cultures adapted to control those instincts. I would love it if religion were to disappear, but the solution would, once again, be to change the context in a manner that survival necessity no longer favors religion as an adaptive advantage. Technology may be making this happen, albeit slowly. Trying to be too "anti" about it, so to speak, is probably more trouble than it's worth.

I don't think I agree with any of that.
Farming and domestication of animals led to settling in one place and that was the enabling factor for people to learn to live in larger groups.
Any common cause or threat would bind people together to cooperate, religion may have been the one in some places at some times.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
03-12-2015, 10:08 AM
(03-12-2015 09:37 AM)Fireball Wrote:  There is enough non-religion in the world that I don't despair for the entire human race. It is a pretty trying time in a lot of ways, but we'll get through it. Also, I think that a lot more reporting of world events is occurring. It used to be that a person would only hear the local news and some big stuff from a national level. A person 100+ YA would know very little about what was happening in some foreign countries, thus it would seem a safer world.

But we used to only have arrows and spears. Technology is equipping them better than it has in the past. How long will it take them before they can destroy a city because they will, when they can. The costs of global warming is trivial compared to the threat of religious extremism. I just saying that it's time to stop worrying about what mom will think when you tell her you're atheist, tell her you are and why she'll wrong about there being a god. The religious "moderate" gives cover for the "extremist". The moderate is all around you. We have to start changing their minds and quit brainwashing future generations. We're passing the point of no return while many of us watch the time pass by. Religion MUST be exterminated and its only trace left only in the minds of the insane.
03-12-2015, 10:14 AM
I am already an anti-theist. Children are dying while their parents are praying. Children are being killed because of primitive beliefs in demon possession. Women are being killed for family honor. Women are being genitally mutilated because religion makes the men so insecure, they would rather their women not enjoy sex. etc. etc, etc. The list of how religion hurts people is never ending.
[+] 2 users Like Iñigo's post
03-12-2015, 10:18 AM
(03-12-2015 10:04 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-12-2015 09:53 AM)yakherder Wrote:  It was religion that allowed us to survive the transformation to civilization, during which many of our instincts were made obsolete faster than physical evolution could realistically take place. This created a context in which cultures adapted to control those instincts. I would love it if religion were to disappear, but the solution would, once again, be to change the context in a manner that survival necessity no longer favors religion as an adaptive advantage. Technology may be making this happen, albeit slowly. Trying to be too "anti" about it, so to speak, is probably more trouble than it's worth.

I don't think I agree with any of that.
Farming and domestication of animals led to settling in one place and that was the enabling factor for people to learn to live in larger groups.
Any common cause or threat would bind people together to cooperate, religion may have been the one in some places at some times.

It also created the need for paternal certainty, something which was irrelevant in a nomadic egalitarian society which relied on foraged or hunted food rather than something that required individual investment over a long period of time. One of the common traits of most major religions is the importance they place on pre-marriage celibacy and post marriage faithfulness, both of which are in complete contradiction to what our instincts are otherwise telling us to do, but which suddenly became a critical component of the passing of ones DNA as a species which, without modern technology, wouldn't have another way of figuring out whose kids belonged to who.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
03-12-2015, 10:18 AM
The problem with going anti-theist is that not all theists are 'bad'. When religion goes wrong, it goes horribly, horribly wrong, but that's not enough to get rid of it. If it were, we'd get rid of cars (30,000 deaths per year, about the same as guns) or alcohol (major reason for car deaths).
There are times, though, that I think of most religions as child abuse, threatening them with torture and demeaning a gender. Those variants I'm very much anti towards, but not all of those in a religion practice that, no matter what their religion says they should do.
03-12-2015, 10:28 AM
I agree that believers are victims of religion. I would love a world without religion, a world where people think for themselves instead of living their lives based on the wants and needs of a man-made sky god(s). I don't think going the anti-theist route is the answer though. I think it causes religious people to dig their heels in even more. Atheists are the enemy in brainwashed religious delusion. Anything we do to appear even more anti-religion will cause them to delve further into their faith since we are viewed as potentially angering god(s). Religious people don't live in reality--they believe their truth is within the pages of an ancient book. It is really difficult to argue/debate with someone when their answer is always "magic." It is also really hard to undo religious brainwashing--especially when someone does not want to come out of delusion. Sadly, I don't think religion is ever going to fully go away.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
03-12-2015, 10:32 AM
(03-12-2015 10:18 AM)OddGamer Wrote:  The problem with going anti-theist is that not all theists are 'bad'. When religion goes wrong, it goes horribly, horribly wrong, but that's not enough to get rid of it. If it were, we'd get rid of cars (30,000 deaths per year, about the same as guns) or alcohol (major reason for car deaths).
There are times, though, that I think of most religions as child abuse, threatening them with torture and demeaning a gender. Those variants I'm very much anti towards, but not all of those in a religion practice that, no matter what their religion says they should do.

Not all "Theist are bad" but more than likely they are all "wrong".
[+] 1 user Likes Toney's post