Is it time for you to become Anti-theist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-12-2015, 07:09 PM
Is it time for you to become Anti-theist?
(06-12-2015 04:59 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(06-12-2015 01:08 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  And I hate to break the news to you, but anti-theists really are just angry atheists, but they don't represent atheists in general.

Really. how do you know that ?
How many do you actually know ?
Link us to the study/poll that demonstrates that.

Link us to a reference to the 15 % number, sport.

http://www.salon.com/2013/07/13/poll_six...a_partner/

https://newhumanist.org.uk/articles/4229...of-atheism

"The third most populous category is the Anti-Theist, polling 15%. The Anti-Theists are “diametrically opposed to religious ideology” and therefore quite assertive and even aggressive about their opinions on the matter. The Anti-Theist, then, is pretty much your “militant atheist”, possessing – in their view – “a superior understanding of the limitations and dangers of religion”.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post
06-12-2015, 08:45 PM
RE: Is it time for you to become Anti-theist?
(06-12-2015 07:09 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  http://www.salon.com/2013/07/13/poll_six...a_partner/

"The third most populous category is the Anti-Theist, polling 15%. The Anti-Theists are “diametrically opposed to religious ideology” and therefore quite assertive and even aggressive about their opinions on the matter. The Anti-Theist, then, is pretty much your “militant atheist”, possessing – in their view – “a superior understanding of the limitations and dangers of religion”.

What's your point?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
06-12-2015, 10:16 PM (This post was last modified: 07-12-2015 03:20 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(06-12-2015 05:48 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Its odd that you can't see a need for something that unifies everything. Something that has been referenced one way or another from before written history by man, and also gives direction, meaning, and understanding of life on a personal level with utmost gravity is definitely, completely just concocted for ?? You can say that organized religion is flawed, and made of man. But the actual part of the direction of man under God that is in All is undeniable, personal, and constant. The selfless conscience is in All of us from before birth. It is flawed or pushed aside wholly, by upbringing/societal norms/ men of power due to greed. It can be reattained or repaired though affliction, be it seemingly self made or from an "outside" source.
If you have been greedy your whole life, then chances are you may have a very self centered perspective in general. It's really hard to see the bigger picture like that. You can be blind on a cognitive level. That's why I say utter honesty with self through introspection is so important. Even through retrospect or hindsight one can work towards change in self that reflects the knowledge of life itself that they have experienced.

I get that your need for cognitive closure is greater than you need for truth.
I never said is was not desirable to have a unified theory. I don't want your fake and useless one. I'll wait for a real one, and meanwhile ALL your assumptions about what your crutch (religion) provides for you may be true for you. Stop projecting your garbage onto others. All the other crap you posit as desirable are fine, except one problem. Your god was cooked up by ignorant ancients, who took it from mythological systems. You need to learn what intellectual honesty is. You don't get to believe in a god just because it makes you feel better.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
06-12-2015, 10:18 PM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2015 10:33 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(06-12-2015 07:09 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(06-12-2015 04:59 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Really. how do you know that ?

Show me one place in either article that says the 15% are "just angry atheists".
Remind me again what you're doing here ?
Life is complicated. Just because ONE researcher chose to make HIS categories the way he did, doesn't mean there are aspects of all the categories in everyone. I get it you need it simple.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
06-12-2015, 10:41 PM
(06-12-2015 01:54 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  I know people think I sound crazy, but I'm not.

That's exactly what I would expect a crazy person to say.

#sigh
[+] 5 users Like GirlyMan's post
06-12-2015, 10:45 PM

Ha! I am apparently a shruggie because I just don't give a shit. Tongue

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
07-12-2015, 12:18 AM
(06-12-2015 11:37 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  I never really understood the purpose or means of anti-theist. I mean are they suppose to go door to door or something? Troll every theists in sight? At least right wing Islamophobes support policy initiatives, like banning burqas, and mosques, and muslim immigrants.

It seems to me that an anti-theists is bit more than someone who supports the separation of church and state, but it's not clear what that more amounts to, other than some bloated vitriol?

I think the image of the anti-theists has dissolved over the years, time hasn't been too kind to Dawkins and Harris, so it comes as a bit of a surprise that you seem to want to resurrect the mantle they paved.

Hmm, anti-theism doesn't really mean any particular course of action. It's just a mindset. I'm an anti-theist,meaning that I believe religion is overall a harmful and negative force in the world. But I don't treat the religious poorly just because I know they practice.

An exact parallel, in my opinion, is smoking or most drug use. I think smoking and drug use are both terrible and destructive behaviors and cultures. But I don't hate or mistreat smokers. Unless they intentionally blow smoke in my face of course.

I'm anti-smoking. I'm anti-theist.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
07-12-2015, 12:26 AM
(06-12-2015 10:41 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(06-12-2015 01:54 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  I know people think I sound crazy, but I'm not.

That's exactly what I would expect a crazy person to say.

Sane Person - "You know you're in a cult, right?"

Cultist - "Cult is just short for 'culture'!"

Sane Person - "You know that's what a person in a cult would say, right?"

ProTip: If you need to be coached to defend yourself from certain accusations (being crazy or in a cult), or otherwise preface your statements with defenses against such, those accusations have a basis in truth.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
07-12-2015, 12:49 AM
It seems to me the term Angry atheist] would be hard to quantify.

What if a demur atheist stubs his toe because someone moved a table and said atheist becomes angry. Do the totals change?

What about Jennybee stuck in heavy traffic, feeling the anger and frustration smoulder until it fires up into a volcano!

Recent pic of our Jenny in heavy traffic on the way to a very strenuous yoga class.

[Image: oWp0o4l.gif]

So the numbers grow by two until one feels no more pain and the others are in agony after WAY too much stretching and double doggie styling it as the Maharishi taught it to George and Ringo???

Now that two have calmed down, what of the 5 atheist students in Jenny's class who are now angry???

So two, followed by five, then three????

Then there's that guy trying to cross the road but it' too busy and this guy doesn't believe in god because he lives in Ghana and there is no traffic and is actually dreaming of one day moving to America.........

This is all too confusing. Kindly I beg of you, please don't watch as I crack up attempting to do the numbers.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
07-12-2015, 09:43 AM

Where does the connotation of "angry" come into play?

Just as one can be atheist & agnostic or a spaghetti eater and a mostacholi eater; one can be an intellectual atheist and a anti-theist(at least by the definitions according to folks in this thread and those posts. It's still a label I think is strangely applied)

I think that newhumanist artcle's lableing interpretation is miscued. Anyone in those 6 categories can be equally argumentative/assertive in their position or be "militant." Saying you are of the label "anti-theist" doesn't make you actually more or less militant or against theism than someone who says they are activist or intellectual(Especially activist which they seem to brush off as not an aggressive term but many people can see that as an aggressive term.) Even being Agnostic doesn't mean you're passive against theism. We've had multiple very aggressive assertive Agnostics here that were anti-theism & anti-atheists, both of the same categories.

The definitions they just label and then talk about them are just so strange.

These articles view seems to want to call Anti-Theists "those who want to ACTIVELY seek out and argue with Theists" opposed to the polls definition which is more "those opposed to religious ideology" Which I suppose you have to expect a media representation to be offbase to some degree. But it's in a strange way that regardless of the intent, I don't approve of.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson