Is it time for you to become Anti-theist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-12-2015, 07:27 AM
RE: Is it time for you to become Anti-theist?
(08-12-2015 10:53 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(08-12-2015 06:03 PM)WalkingSnake Wrote:  I don't have to be angry at religion to conclude that religion is harmful to society. I know a lot of really, really, really nice religious people. But (especially with Christians and Muslims, since I know more about their religion), I would argue that it is in spite of their "sacred texts". Taking the antitheistic position could mean just trying to open people's eyes about the problems of relgion and believing in a god that might not be there.

If religion has a text telling them to "go ye into all the world and preach the gospel", I think this world needs the opposite to that which I see is antitheism. If anger is the motivation for some antitheists that's on them, but you're gonna need some evidence to show that it's the driving force of antitheism.
Could you explain what is wrong or damaging to civilization about believing in God?

Not talking about any specific doctrine. I am qinuinely curious. Thanks.

It is, at the very least, harmful to the person who believes.
It suppresses curiosity, it misplaces wonder and awe, it impedes critical thinking.

"God did it" is a facile and lazy answer to any question.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
09-12-2015, 07:27 AM
(08-12-2015 10:40 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(08-12-2015 07:55 AM)Chas Wrote:  No, you're just blindly following those who did make shit up. You are a dupe.
Oh really. Who has the same view as me. I'd really like to know.

There are plenty of other "it's-all-the-same-at-the-core," God-spoke-to-meeee woo types. Your views aren't original in the slightest.

Every "core scripture" that you claim agrees with all other core scripture was made up by human beings. As you proclaim that there is divine truth being revealed through these fictions, you most certainly are a follower and dupe, to an even greater degree than people who follow just one religion. You've bought them all.

But: perhaps if you would EVER answer the questions asked of you here for supported specifics about what you believe, some differences in your woo might become apparent.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
09-12-2015, 08:02 AM
I believe there is one creative force only and all other things are subsidiary to it in one way or another. Equality, through use of the selfless conscience in all we do is also what I believe. I believe you must go through significant pain or affliction in order to break free from the bindings of society.
I believe in ascetisism and detachment from the wants of the material world. I believe that if you follow the selfless conscience, or Krishna consciousness, or godhead or Crist conciousness in All we do literally negates the need for worry as one will be provided for in All they do if the follow what is right in All they do. I believe we have good and bad in all of us and that we must be aware of both in order to really perceive our direction, flaws, and potential.

That's a start anyway.
09-12-2015, 08:03 AM
To be clear; I don't want to be single in my belief and really am curious as to who else believes these things other than the Druze which I have trouble studying, and Bahia.
09-12-2015, 09:06 AM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2015 09:23 AM by Tomasia.)
(08-12-2015 06:03 PM)WalkingSnake Wrote:  I don't have to be angry at religion to conclude that religion is harmful to society..

And that's like saying I don't have to be angry at Frank to conclude that he's harming my child. The truth of the matter in such a situation is, that you're angry because you conclude, or believe that religion is harmful to society, even if you believe this falsely.

Which makes sense right. I mean if you truly cared about society, things that harm it in significant or detrimental way should make you angry right? If it leave you apathetic you likely wouldn't be classify yourself as an anti-theist.

Quote:If religion has a text telling them to "go ye into all the world and preach the gospel", I think this world needs the opposite to that which I see is antitheism.

Which would be an inversion of the same basic principle. "go ye into all the world and preach the gospel of unbelief, of atheism., to cure not sin, but the harm caused by being religious. " That de-Islamicization, de-christianization might be as important as de-Nazification.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
09-12-2015, 09:11 AM
(09-12-2015 08:03 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  To be clear; I don't want to be single in my belief and really am curious as to who else believes these things other than the Druze which I have trouble studying, and Bahia.

Then perhaps you should spend your time on theistic sites or woo sites where your unsupported beliefs may be given some credence. The fact that you believe a lot of things, apparently without any good reason, just makes you look foolish here.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
09-12-2015, 09:56 AM
(09-12-2015 09:06 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(08-12-2015 06:03 PM)WalkingSnake Wrote:  I don't have to be angry at religion to conclude that religion is harmful to society..

And that's like saying I don't have to be angry at Frank to conclude that he's harming my child. The truth of the matter in such a situation is, that you're angry because you conclude, or believe that religion is harmful to society, even if you believe this falsely.

Which makes sense right. I mean if you truly cared about society, things that harm it in significant or detrimental way should make you angry right? If it leave you apathetic you likely wouldn't be classify yourself as an anti-theist.

Quote:If religion has a text telling them to "go ye into all the world and preach the gospel", I think this world needs the opposite to that which I see is antitheism.

Which would be an inversion of the same basic principle. "go ye into all the world and preach the gospel of unbelief, of atheism., to cure not sin, but the harm caused by being religious. " That de-Islamicization, de-christianization might be as important as de-Nazification.

That doesn't make sense at all, unless you have some unique connotation of Angry.

Thinking something is more harmful than helpful doesn't equate to anger. If you thought the particular school or teacher your kid had was inept & you want your kid out of it, it doesn't mean you're angry at the school.

(09-12-2015 08:03 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  To be clear; I don't want to be single in my belief and really am curious as to who else believes these things other than the Druze which I have trouble studying, and Bahia.

There's still over 5 million Bahia practitioners is there not? They say there are. There is actually a temple not too far from me.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
09-12-2015, 09:59 AM
(09-12-2015 09:06 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  

So any time someone sees harm being done and feels they need to do something about it they are... angry?

Are you defining anger differently than the popular definition? What's going on here?

My blog
[Image: communion_zpslrzvgcuh.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes WalkingSnake's post
09-12-2015, 10:11 AM
(09-12-2015 09:59 AM)WalkingSnake Wrote:  So any time someone sees harm being done and feels they need to do something about it they are... angry?

Are you defining anger differently than the popular definition? What's going on here?

I think people are inclined to feel angry, when they feel they or those who they care about are being harmed by others. And that same principle applies to imagined harms as well. Especially when they're drive to actively do something about it. Hell if I though Atheism was the root of terrorist attacks of my country, I'd be quite angry about Atheism, and those that want to spread it.

If you inclined to feel apathetic, you're unlikely to join the anti-theist chorus.

I'd wonder how many self identifying anti-theists, don't agree with the overall sentiment expressed here by Greta Christina: "http://gretachristina.typepad.com/greta_christinas_weblog/2007/10/atheists-and-an.html"

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
09-12-2015, 10:43 AM
(09-12-2015 09:59 AM)WalkingSnake Wrote:  
(09-12-2015 09:06 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  And that's like saying I don't have to be angry at Frank to conclude that he's harming my child. The truth of the matter in such a situation is, that you're angry because you conclude, or believe that religion is harmful to society, even if you believe this falsely.

So any time someone sees harm being done and feels they need to do something about it they are... angry?

Tomasia assumes he knows better than others what others think/know/believe/feel. So, he presumes to know the emotions and motivation behind those opposed to religion or theism in general and then parades about his straw man as if it is knowledge under the guise that he is here for honest conversation.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 3 users Like TheBeardedDude's post