Is it time for you to become Anti-theist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-12-2015, 11:16 AM
RE: Is it time for you to become Anti-theist?
(03-12-2015 11:08 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
(03-12-2015 11:04 AM)Chas Wrote:  Who said it was your duty? Consider

OP did:

Quote:With all the shootings and wars, isn't it you duty as a human to move from a passive Atheist to a Anti-theist?

That's a question, not a statement.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-12-2015, 11:17 AM
I won't become an anti-theist. It's too fanatical of a position for my taste.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
03-12-2015, 11:20 AM
(03-12-2015 11:16 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-12-2015 11:08 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  OP did:

That's a question, not a statement.

It's implied in the question. Then OP further pressed why I disagreed.

03-12-2015, 11:34 AM
I've been an atheist my whole life. I became an anti-theist around 20-23 when I started learning more about religion. Up until then I thought it was all sunshine and flowers and, "be a good person, dude." type of thing.

There are plenty of reasons to be anti-theist. Religiously motivated terrorism/killing never was one of my reasons, as it doesn't represent the common effect of religion on individuals. But I can see it being a reason for some.

Edit: Between 10-12 I was slightly anti-theist as well, but more in a, "Wow I can't believe people believe stuff like this, that's an incredibly sad way to live your life" type of way.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
03-12-2015, 11:38 AM
I still don't know what it means. Goodevil

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
03-12-2015, 11:45 AM
(03-12-2015 09:04 AM)Toney Wrote:  With all the shootings and wars, isn't it you duty as a human to move from a passive Atheist to a Anti-theist?

Davis Silverman said this: "Some … people call me a (jerk) because I challenge the absurd notion that religion deserves respect by default. But religion is wrong for demanding respect simply for being, and even more wrong for demanding never to be questioned. Indeed, it is my duty as an American, as an atheist, and as a nice person to do what I can to take religion down — not by force, not by law, but by truth.”

And that truth, he writes, is simple: “all religions are lies, and all believers are victims.”

I believe that the human race will never survive religion.

I can easily mark the date that I stopped calling myself an atheist and began calling myself an anti-theist. It was September 11, 2001. On this day, I truly began to see that belief in a supernatural being was not just a harmless eccentricity, but rather, was a genuine threat to the sanity and survival of the human species.

An atheist is someone who does not believe that there is any evidence for the existence of supernatural beings and thus does not believe in their existence; an anti-theist is someone who believes that, because there is overwhelming evidence that the existence of supernatural beings is nothing more than mythology created by ignorant individuals, one should oppose the spread such beliefs.

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities.--Voltaire.

"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." --Thomas Paine.
[+] 1 user Likes 666wannabe's post
03-12-2015, 11:45 AM
(03-12-2015 11:38 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I still don't know what it means. Goodevil

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antitheism
Quote:The Oxford English Dictionary defines antitheist as "One opposed to belief in the existence of a god". The earliest citation given for this meaning dates from 1833.[1] An antitheist may oppose belief in the existence of any god or gods, and not merely one in particular.

Antitheism has been adopted as a label by those who regard theism as dangerous or destructive. Christopher Hitchens offers an example of this approach in Letters to a Young Contrarian (2001), in which he writes: "I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful."[2]

[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
03-12-2015, 11:49 AM
(03-12-2015 11:45 AM)666wannabe Wrote:  I can easily mark the date that I stopped calling myself an atheist and began calling myself an anti-theist. It was September 11, 2001. On this day, I truly began to see that belief in a supernatural being was not just a harmless eccentricity, but rather, was a genuine threat to the sanity and survival of the human species.

An atheist is someone who does not believe that there is any evidence for the existence of supernatural beings and thus does not believe in their existence; an anti-theist is someone who believes that, because there is overwhelming evidence that the existence of supernatural beings is nothing more than mythology created by ignorant individuals, one should oppose the spread such beliefs.

I call myself an atheist because I am an atheist. I only call myself an anti-theist in certain contexts. Like now.

Technically theists can be anti-theist, interestingly enough.

03-12-2015, 12:21 PM
I'm antitheist already. Pretty much was one the minute I confirmed I was atheist. Religion poisons everything.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-12-2015, 12:35 PM
I would call myself antitheist in the sense that I am anti-theism, not necessarily anti-theists.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post