Is it time for you to become Anti-theist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-12-2015, 12:41 PM
RE: Is it time for you to become Anti-theist?
Yeah, I'm not against theists, just theism. Though I am against quite a few theists.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
03-12-2015, 12:46 PM
Here's the shortsighted part of the anti-religion stuff.

We know what a middle class relatively educated white guy atheist looks like. He goes on the internet, and argues about nonsense for a while in a nice harmless way. Because the reality is, we're still slaves to the social contract for the most part. We're locked into the system for the most part.

Where we need religion, is the poor violent kid who correctly recognizes that his situation is garbage, and is justifiably angry at it. We need to feed that kid the lies about God, and humans being special, and being a part of something bigger, and all that nonsense. We HAVE to keep tricking poor people into thinking their lives are good enough that they shouldn't risk it by coming and taking our stuff.

Blog: http://141min.tumblr.com/
Find all posts by this user
03-12-2015, 12:49 PM
(03-12-2015 12:46 PM)wallym Wrote:  Here's the shortsighted part of the anti-religion stuff.

We know what a middle class relatively educated white guy atheist looks like. He goes on the internet, and argues about nonsense for a while in a nice harmless way. Because the reality is, we're still slaves to the social contract for the most part. We're locked into the system for the most part.

Where we need religion, is the poor violent kid who correctly recognizes that his situation is garbage, and is justifiably angry at it. We need to feed that kid the lies about God, and humans being special, and being a part of something bigger, and all that nonsense. We HAVE to keep tricking poor people into thinking their lives are good enough that they shouldn't risk it by coming and taking our stuff.

Based on what? There are plenty of folks in those situations who have been atheists.

But what standing or info does it reflect that it helps or protects people at all? While it's unknown the cause, there is a connection between poor/low income status and religious belief. Perhaps there can be some problematic causes by the feelings of being something special and thinking there is something post-life for them.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
03-12-2015, 12:51 PM
Anti-theism has nothing to do with being prejudice or having a dislike towards theists.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
03-12-2015, 01:04 PM
(03-12-2015 12:49 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(03-12-2015 12:46 PM)wallym Wrote:  Here's the shortsighted part of the anti-religion stuff.

Based on what? There are plenty of folks in those situations who have been atheists.

But what standing or info does it reflect that it helps or protects people at all? While it's unknown the cause, there is a connection between poor/low income status and religious belief. Perhaps there can be some problematic causes by the feelings of being something special and thinking there is something post-life for them.

We can only threaten people to do the right thing if they are afraid of losing something, or not giving them something. Atheism doesn't offer much, and the best threat remains jail. Not a great sales pitch. Religion, however, offers everlasting life and the love of a supernatural being, maybe a sense of purpose, coupled with the threat of eternal damnation.

It's a nice pitch. And as long as it's a nicer religion, and not a blow people up and get virgins religion, I think it's in our best interest to have other people believe it.

03-12-2015, 01:20 PM
(03-12-2015 01:04 PM)wallym Wrote:  
(03-12-2015 12:49 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Based on what? There are plenty of folks in those situations who have been atheists.

We can only threaten people to do the right thing if they are afraid of losing something, or not giving them something. Atheism doesn't offer much, and the best threat remains jail. Not a great sales pitch. Religion, however, offers everlasting life and the love of a supernatural being, maybe a sense of purpose, coupled with the threat of eternal damnation.

It's a nice pitch. And as long as it's a nicer religion, and not a blow people up and get virgins religion, I think it's in our best interest to have other people believe it.

I don't have a clue what you think the "right thing to do" is, but Their life, details of it, is often that motivator. It's also potentially a much better and more effective motivator. Again based on uncertainly proven but potential answers to sociological trends.

Most people who believe don't even go day to day thinking about consequences in after-life hell or heaven manners. It's not something at all that is shown to be effective as a motivator. I don't know what makes you think hell is a stronger motivator to do "right" vs jail/death.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
03-12-2015, 01:30 PM
(03-12-2015 09:04 AM)Toney Wrote:  With all the shootings and wars, isn't it you duty as a human to move from a passive Atheist to a Anti-theist?

Davis Silverman said this: "Some … people call me a (jerk) because I challenge the absurd notion that religion deserves respect by default. But religion is wrong for demanding respect simply for being, and even more wrong for demanding never to be questioned. Indeed, it is my duty as an American, as an atheist, and as a nice person to do what I can to take religion down — not by force, not by law, but by truth.”

And that truth, he writes, is simple: “all religions are lies, and all believers are victims.”

I believe that the human race will never survive religion.

I am anti-theist in the sense that I think religion is extremely harmful. I would never outlaw it though. I don't have that right and no one does. I am an advocate of individual rights and the right to self determination. What's needed is not to ban it but just to advocate for reason. The claim that a god exists is self contradictory and refutes itself.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
03-12-2015, 01:38 PM
(03-12-2015 12:46 PM)wallym Wrote:  Where we need religion, is the poor violent kid who correctly recognizes that his situation is garbage, and is justifiably angry at it. We need to feed that kid the lies about God, and humans being special, and being a part of something bigger, and all that nonsense. We HAVE to keep tricking poor people into thinking their lives are good enough that they shouldn't risk it by coming and taking our stuff.

So you're saying that the best way to deal with somebody who is disenfranchised and angry at an unjust situation is to lie to him to make him more willing to accept his situation? I don't think I could possibly disagree more.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
03-12-2015, 01:53 PM
(03-12-2015 09:04 AM)Toney Wrote:  With all the shootings and wars, isn't it you duty as a human to move from a passive Atheist to a Anti-theist?

Depends on the level of "Anti". I think Atheism has grown and will continue to do so, but it hasn't really fought any battles or goes to the level of indoctrination, corruption and judgement that religions do. It isn't really a "stance" unless you make it one, it is merely disbelief in a story, a disbelief that sees you take no part in the actions nor follow it rules.

Atheism is organic, its own beast.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
[+] 2 users Like bemore's post
03-12-2015, 02:14 PM
(03-12-2015 01:38 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(03-12-2015 12:46 PM)wallym Wrote:  Where we need religion, is the poor violent kid who correctly recognizes that his situation is garbage, and is justifiably angry at it. We need to feed that kid the lies about God, and humans being special, and being a part of something bigger, and all that nonsense. We HAVE to keep tricking poor people into thinking their lives are good enough that they shouldn't risk it by coming and taking our stuff.

So you're saying that the best way to deal with somebody who is disenfranchised and angry at an unjust situation is to lie to him to make him more willing to accept his situation? I don't think I could possibly disagree more.

What's interesting, is I probably think a lot of the things you believe in are lies designed to get you to behave in a specific manner as well.