(07-08-2012 06:14 AM)Magoo Wrote:  Let's go have a beer Drinking Beverage

Alright, you choose the locale.

[Image: Underage_Drinking.jpg]

Big Grin

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
07-08-2012, 07:25 PM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2012 07:35 PM by DeepThought.)
RE: Is it time yet?
(07-08-2012 11:02 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(07-08-2012 10:32 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Alright, you choose the locale.

[Image: Underage_Drinking.jpg]

Big Grin

Not in Germany though.. Beer/Wine is legal in Germany for 16 and over. I certainly took advantage of that fact when I visited.

Big Grin

Why is it that Germany has less issues with alcoholics than other countries like the US?

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 2 users Like DeepThought's post
08-08-2012, 01:28 AM
(07-08-2012 07:25 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  
(07-08-2012 11:02 AM)Vosur Wrote:  [Image: Underage_Drinking.jpg]

Big Grin

Not in Germany though.. Beer/Wine is legal in Germany for 16 and over. I certainly took advantage of that fact when I visited.

Big Grin

Why is it that Germany has less issues with alcoholics than other countries like the US?

I am guessing the forbidden fruit syndrome. People want what they are not allowed to have. In the process they become alcoholics(Alcoholism is not a disease in my opinion..)

Under Repair.
08-08-2012, 04:39 AM (This post was last modified: 08-08-2012 05:24 AM by DeepThought.)
(08-08-2012 01:28 AM)itsacow Wrote:  Alcoholism is not a disease in my opinion..

Tell that to my girlfriends sister. She has acquired brain injury from drinking repeatedly over long stretches. Now she goes completely haywire, looses control even if she only has a tiny bit of alcohol in her system. Whenever she drinks even a little bit her whole personality changes. She's practically schizophrenic. Goes from laughing hysterically to crying her eyes out. It's a full on freak show.

She'd be better off taking heroin (if it was clean and available cheaply at the local pharmacy).

This isn't an isolated case either. And alcohol damages other organs in the body besides the brain.

Despite these problems I still think alcohol should be legal.

Ever heard of Korsakoff Syndrome? Seen alcoholics with permanent red noses probably due to thiamine deficiency?

08-08-2012, 09:42 AM
(08-08-2012 01:28 AM)itsacow Wrote:  
(07-08-2012 07:25 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  Not in Germany though.. Beer/Wine is legal in Germany for 16 and over. I certainly took advantage of that fact when I visited.

Big Grin

I am guessing the forbidden fruit syndrome. People want what they are not allowed to have. In the process they become alcoholics(Alcoholism is not a disease in my opinion..)

It's not a choice, either. So what is it?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-08-2012, 10:05 AM
(08-08-2012 09:42 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-08-2012 01:28 AM)itsacow Wrote:  I am guessing the forbidden fruit syndrome. People want what they are not allowed to have. In the process they become alcoholics(Alcoholism is not a disease in my opinion..)

It's not a choice, either. So what is it?

An addiction.
[+] 1 user Likes Magoo's post
08-08-2012, 01:07 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44639148/ns/...CK16PZlTXI

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/alcoholism/DS00340/

(They are a hospital so they want people to come in to receive treatment.(I am a cynic...)

I do not believe that alcoholism is a disease simply for the fact that similar mind altering drugs make their users dependent on it yet they are still called addictions(i.e. Heroin addictions). If alcoholism is truly a disease then why are heroin addictions not considered the same?

Under Repair.
08-08-2012, 02:06 PM
(08-08-2012 01:07 PM)itsacow Wrote:  http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44639148/ns/...CK16PZlTXI

(They are a hospital so they want people to come in to receive treatment.(I am a cynic...)

I do not believe that alcoholism is a disease simply for the fact that similar mind altering drugs make their users dependent on it yet they are still called addictions(i.e. Heroin addictions). If alcoholism is truly a disease then why are heroin addictions not considered the same?

They are all classed under the disease of addiction, including alcoholism.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-08-2012, 06:32 PM (This post was last modified: 08-08-2012 06:47 PM by DeepThought.)
Cow,

It has nothing to do with scepticism and more to do with framing the issue.

Sure, you might be able to reach more people though the people that deny they have a problem are also the type that don't want to change it.

08-08-2012, 07:35 PM
(08-08-2012 02:06 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-08-2012 01:07 PM)itsacow Wrote:  http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44639148/ns/...CK16PZlTXI

They are all classed under the disease of addiction, including alcoholism.

Yup. Addiction has all the symptoms as disease, down to even being hereditary. There are even certain races of people who are more susceptible physically, just like other diseases.

On paper, exact same as disease and recognized as so.

Just like mental illness was for a long time considered as weakness but now recognized as a physical health condition, same with addictions. Addictions is a stigma that needs to be broken.