RE: Is it time yet?
So.... Loving this Forum is a illness... If so, DON'T give me a cure!Tongue

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-08-2012, 12:21 AM
About the disease... It may be considered a disease, but it is one that YOU did to yourself. If I catch pneumonia, it was not something I could choose and affect. If I drink a lot, it is because I went to the store, took out my money and bought booze, then I drank it. So, this is something I did to myself, alone, with my own personal choices and action. If you call it disease, you take away a part of private responsibility from an alcoholic and he can say "don't blame me, I'm sick". No, you wanted to drink, then you drank too much, now deal with the consequences and do not blame it on disease. Blame it on yourself and do something about that problem.

I know addiction are hard, specially alcoholism, but it is not in the same category as schizophrenia, for example. One can be avoided by your actions, other can not, you are born with it. That is why I call it addiction and never a disease.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
09-08-2012, 12:48 AM
(09-08-2012 12:21 AM)Filox Wrote:  About the disease... It may be considered a disease, but it is one that YOU did to yourself. If I catch pneumonia, it was not something I could choose and affect. If I drink a lot, it is because I went to the store, took out my money and bought booze, then I drank it. So, this is something I did to myself, alone, with my own personal choices and action. If you call it disease, you take away a part of private responsibility from an alcoholic and he can say "don't blame me, I'm sick". No, you wanted to drink, then you drank too much, now deal with the consequences and do not blame it on disease. Blame it on yourself and do something about that problem.

I know addiction are hard, specially alcoholism, but it is not in the same category as schizophrenia, for example. One can be avoided by your actions, other can not, you are born with it. That is why I call it addiction and never a disease.

So, if I person chooses to not take their medication if they need it, then this is not the same enabling action, no? It's a choice. You buy the don't by the booze/ you take the medication. Then their mental illness has a turn for the worse, but they could have prevented it with a choice. Does that mean it isn't a mental illness, when it could just be helped so easily?

So you say an addiction is a choice. In my family I have a cousin who has lost privilege of seeing his son and is in jail. He is the sweetest person who wants his addiction out of his life and gone so badly. I bet he wishes there were a simple cure to just make it a choice. I know he'd choose not to have an addiction. But he has it and even if he was clean the rest of his life, the addiction will always be there. There is no cure, only help that may work.
09-08-2012, 07:16 AM
(09-08-2012 12:21 AM)Filox Wrote:  About the disease... It may be considered a disease, but it is one that YOU did to yourself. If I catch pneumonia, it was not something I could choose and affect. If I drink a lot, it is because I went to the store, took out my money and bought booze, then I drank it. So, this is something I did to myself, alone, with my own personal choices and action. If you call it disease, you take away a part of private responsibility from an alcoholic and he can say "don't blame me, I'm sick". No, you wanted to drink, then you drank too much, now deal with the consequences and do not blame it on disease. Blame it on yourself and do something about that problem.

Nope. Most everyone in western societies partakes of alcohol socially. Some become addicted. The addiction does not come about by drinking differently than others, the drinking differently than others is the effect of the addiction.

I have been in the hospital for orthopedic surgery too many times, and every time I am given opiates for pain. Each and every time I become addicted and go through withdrawal when the medication stops.

I believe you are looking at this on a moral basis and not on a medical basis.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-08-2012, 08:12 AM
Oops.
09-08-2012, 07:08 PM
Lets see if I got this right so far:

Atothetheist
bemore
Chas
earmuffs
Erxomai
Filox
itsacow
LadyJane
Magoo
Thebeardeddude
Vosur

Should be able to get 1 more person! Who are the missing people from the last games?

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
09-08-2012, 07:18 PM
girly, smoosh and leela have played in the past.

Would it be alright if we wait until this weekend is over before we start? I don't want to be voted off before I get a chance to post again Sad
09-08-2012, 07:21 PM
I'm too lazy to go back through the thread, but I'm pretty sure I remember Smoosh saying she'll play.

Also, haven't seen Kineo and Grassy around lately, but they're both good players.

Vote: LadyJane

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
09-08-2012, 07:28 PM
(09-08-2012 07:21 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Vote: LadyJane

So mean. That isn't a creation or science based vote. You random evil/illogical thing!
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
09-08-2012, 07:46 PM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2012 08:27 PM by DeepThought.)
I forgot to add smooshmonster.. my bad:

Atothetheist
bemore
Chas
earmuffs
Erxomai
Filox
itsacow
LadyJane
Magoo
Smooshmonster
Thebeardeddude
Vosur

If someone want to send an invite to kineo, leela and girly go ahead!

If anyone else wants to join the more the merrier. I'll send out roles around Sunday evening - my time.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss